Sonos S2 up now available! Here's how to up your Sonos system

Niallivm

Oct 28, 2019
Visit site
High res streaming limited to 24 bit 48khz for local libraries and no mention of MQA for Tidal Masters in the supported file formats on the Sonos site. S2 looks to me like a foundation for future High Res services rather than an upgrade that will benefit Sonos users immediately

Last edited:

Vim Fuego

Jun 8, 2020
Visit site
Only 4 years too late to the party, and even then, not real HD.

Weren't Qualcomm doing 24/96 flac multiroom with much lower latency like 4 years ago with Allplay?

Chromecast Audio dongles do 24/96 flac multiroom with much lower latency, optical output and can be picked up for £15 to turn whatever hifi you want into multiroom.

I really don't get the appeal of Sonos. They are years late and have destroyed consumer trust

Last edited:

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
is it possible to roll-back the update?

I've got a mixed set up (which is rather unstable) - I fear moving to S2 for one amp which is compliant could damage the fraglie nature of my remaining Sonos S1 network further. I'd like to expirement with S2/S1 mixed set-up, but would like to go back to just S1 if the mixed systems is less stable.

thanks!

Nintendologist

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
is it possible to roll-back the update?

I've got a mixed set up (which is rather unstable) - I fear moving to S2 for one amp which is compliant could damage the fraglie nature of my remaining Sonos S1 network further. I'd like to expirement with S2/S1 mixed set-up, but would like to go back to just S1 if the mixed systems is less stable.

thanks!

According to the Sonos S2 Split system FAQ on their site, it isn't. Once you're updated to S2 there's no going back:

Is this process reversible?
No, once products have upgraded to S2, they cannot be downgraded back to S1 or added to an S1 system. Make sure you want to create a split system before following this process.

Reactions: Big Aura

Biffta

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
I updated to new Sonos app. Now a lot of my Apple Music artwork does not appear. Informed Sonos and they have experienced the same problem and are working on it. NOT GOOD. Should have stuck to S1, but of course can’t revert back to it.

Attachments

• E6F10D76-26BE-494B-8F33-78B123C8B6DB.png
    E6F10D76-26BE-494B-8F33-78B123C8B6DB.png
    166.6 KB · Views: 1

Nintendologist

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I have learned from past mistakes with all kinds of firmware/software updates and now I wait a good few months until the early bugs have been addressed.

I updated to new Sonos app. Now a lot of my Apple Music artwork does not appear. Informed Sonos and they have experienced the same problem and are working on it. NOT GOOD. Should have stuck to S1, but of course can’t revert back to it.

How this can happen when the software went through an extensive beta test is very strange..

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts