Sonos/Powerline in a big(ish) house...

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
Hi

My house isn't actually big but does have some fairly solid walls. It's a victorian terrace, and I get 40mbps in the livingroom at the front of the house. I have a Connect:Amp there, ethernet connection to my router.

I have a Play5 in the kitchen, and another Connnect:Amp in the master bedroom (directly above the livingroom, where the router is).

Due to the walls, I was getting only 1.5mbps in the kitchen. So I bought a TP link power line adapter, and it's been great (now get 35mpbs). It's got the same name/password as the router, so my devices pick up the strongest signal in the house as I walk around.

Unfortunately, the Sonos chooses either the TP Link cloned network or the router (SSE, Technicolor, not that it matters), and starts the mesh from that wifi signal.

If the mesh is started from the kitchen Play5 (on TP Link), then when I'm on the router in the living room, it cannot "see" the sonos (and vice versa). So I need to go to the kitchen, wait for the phone to pick up the TP link, and then change music.

I know I can connect to the SonosNet as a source of wifi, but that's very weak (3-5mbps).

I know Sonos doesn't support Powerline adapters (a shame they cannot find a solution, as I expect there are many frustrated customers).

What I wanted to know is there any way to get good wifi throughout my home, AND be able to connect to Sonos without it being a PITA?

Do I need to buy some new kit? A better wifi system (one of those Google Mesh things?) Or eBay the Sonos and buy something else?

I'm about to undergo a massive building project (which will involve some re-wiring), so wanted to try and resolve this issue once and for all.

​Cheers,

BA

Unfortunately, the Sonos mesh will sta

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
It doesn't matter when the mesh starts, be it main router or power line - when my phone is connected to the version of my wifi which isn't the version that the mesh is connected to, the phone cannot find the mesh.

Dave, what sort of kit do I need in addition to lots of cat6?

We are digging out the cellar to create 80sqm of new space and adding an extra box room in the loft (to be my study).

Presume we have a router in ground floor living room then some sort of hub thing then run a cable to basement room, one to kitchen, one to loft study?

Does that create one always stable network with strength everywhere or is it zones where I connect from one to another as I walk around (which is the problem with the router/power line system).

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
time to resurect the thread!

So John Lewis had a special offer on the Google Wifi thingy (2 pack) - £55 off rrp. I bought it, intending to return it if it didn't work. It worked an absolute treat. I can now control my sonos from anywhere in the house, with no drop offs whatsoever. And has given me much better coverage through out the (standard victorian terrace) house than my (new) vodafone router and powerline. Previously was getting 36mbps in livingroom and 24 in kitchen and about 20-10 upstairs, depending.

Now get 36 in every room in the house. The phones no-longer drop off the wifi either. Easy to set up and a joy to use. Highly recommend it to anyone unsatisfied with their current router/range.

Strictly Stereo

Jan 29, 2018
Visit site
Big Aura said:
time to resurect the thread!

So John Lewis had a special offer on the Google Wifi thingy (2 pack) - £55 off rrp. I bought it, intending to return it if it didn't work. It worked an absolute treat. I can now control my sonos from anywhere in the house, with no drop offs whatsoever. And has given me much better coverage through out the (standard victorian terrace) house than my (new) vodafone router and powerline. Previously was getting 36mbps in livingroom and 24 in kitchen and about 20-10 upstairs, depending.

Now get 36 in every room in the house. The phones no-longer drop off the wifi either. Easy to set up and a joy to use. Highly recommend it to anyone unsatisfied with their current router/range.

I just spotted your thread and was about to drop in a recommendation to install a mesh network or other robust WiFi network of your own and then tell your Sonos equipment to use that instead. It seems like you already arrived at the same conclusion. I currently use Orbi, which is not strictly-speaking a true mesh system, but does essentially the same job. I previously used OpenMesh, which is a true mesh system and supports mixed wired and wireless backhaul.

TRENDING THREADS