Sonos Play 5 + 2x Play 1 for Home Cinema solution

Vladimius

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Hi All,

Just moved into a new house and we are looking to create our small movie room. I was looking at many systems and obviously wires are concerning. Then I went to a warming party of our friend and saw a great Sonos installation which kind of motivated me to think about setting up something along those lines.

I did some research and realized that Sonos is "pricey" to say the least, but does provide a lot of flexibility (i.e. for a warming party I can just move speakers downstairs and play music). Playbar is out of equation because of the exorbitant price (well, to my budget of course).

So I was thinking whether put Play 5 under the TV set (considering it has a dedicated sub) and use as a line-in and position 2x Play 1s behind the couch. + Bridge of course to connect them all together. What do you think - will it work nicely together with Sharp Aquos LC60LE651K? (I guess I still need to mute TV's own speakers to avoid echo, but there shouldn't be too much of sync lag).

If not, what system would you propose with wireless rear speakers?

P.s. No decoration work will be happening so putting wires behind the walls is not an option.

P.s.s. No need for bluray or dvd reader - I will most likely will stream through Apple TV/Chromecast/PS3.

Thank you!

It may be worth speaking to a professional installer, as they can put wires behind the wall without the need for any decoration / repair work to the wall. Look at my home cinema pics, especially the rear speakers. I bought the house fully built and yet did not have to do any touch up or repair work after the installation.

rjlawson

Mar 23, 2006
Visit site
You'd really be looking at a Playbar with 2xPlay:1s for rears to get surround sound. You also need to check that the Sharp will take HDMI audio & output it via the Optical port (assume it has one...?). With a 5 & 2x1s you would only get stereo L/R at the front & exactly the same at the back of the room.

I've got a Sony amp, and bought the wireless rear kit (WAHTSA2) to avoid cables & make it wife friendly. Something like that might be an option?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Vladimius said:
Hi All,

Just moved into a new house and we are looking to create our small movie room. I was looking at many systems and obviously wires are concerning. Then I went to a warming party of our friend and saw a great Sonos installation which kind of motivated me to think about setting up something along those lines.

I did some research and realized that Sonos is "pricey" to say the least, but does provide a lot of flexibility (i.e. for a warming party I can just move speakers downstairs and play music). Playbar is out of equation because of the exorbitant price (well, to my budget of course).

So I was thinking whether put Play 5 under the TV set (considering it has a dedicated sub) and use as a line-in and position 2x Play 1s behind the couch. + Bridge of course to connect them all together. What do you think - will it work nicely together with Sharp Aquos LC60LE651K? (I guess I still need to mute TV's own speakers to avoid echo, but there shouldn't be too much of sync lag).

If not, what system would you propose with wireless rear speakers?

You need to be aware that the system you're proposing will NOT give you surround sound, you could use a Play:5 attached to a TV but it'll only give you stereo (and a stereo with little soundstage given the size of a Play:5. I don't know what you mean by the P:5 having a dedicated Sub incidentally, it has a reasonable bass output but that isn't the same as having a Sub). If you paired two Play:1s together behind you and then grouped them with the Play:5 you will simply get the same two channel audio coming at you from behind, although ironically with a better soundstage than the single Play:5 (so inactual fact you'd be better off putting the Play:1s in front and P:5 behind.

You also need to know that using the P:5 in this manner will incur a delay on the audio of about 70ms (due to re-digitising the analog input), which you may or may not notice. If you do notice it you won't be able to do anything about it, however the Playbar (which is designed for this purpose after all) DOESN'T have this problem, due to using a digital input. Bear in mind you will need your TV to provide an optical digital output to work and yours doesn't, it only has a coaxial digital output, so you'd need a convertor or you'd have to connect one of your other sources instead (which isn't a big deal but you might want an optical switch if you want to use more than one source).

If you buy a P:5 and two P:1s you're spending £687. The Playbar is only £599. The difference is half a Play:1, so you're a quarter of the way to getting the surrounds anyway. I just don't see the point of doing it the way you're suggesting, it isn't worth the hassle.

BTW you only need the Bridge if you can't wire any of the other Sonos devices to your home network but if you're buying now you'll get one for nothing anyway.

Vladimius

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Thanks everyone for responses.

The_Lhc said:
You need to be aware that the system you're proposing will NOT give you surround sound, you could use a Play:5 attached to a TV but it'll only give you stereo (and a stereo with little soundstage given the size of a Play:5. I don't know what you mean by the P:5 having a dedicated Sub incidentally, it has a reasonable bass output but that isn't the same as having a Sub). If you paired two Play:1s together behind you and then grouped them with the Play:5 you will simply get the same two channel audio coming at you from behind, although ironically with a better soundstage than the single Play:5 (so inactual fact you'd be better off putting the Play:1s in front and P:5 behind. You also need to know that using the P:5 in this manner will incur a delay on the audio of about 70ms (due to re-digitising the analog input), which you may or may not notice. If you do notice it you won't be able to do anything about it, however the Playbar (which is designed for this purpose after all) DOESN'T have this problem, due to using a digital input. Bear in mind you will need your TV to provide an optical digital output to work and yours doesn't, it only has a coaxial digital output, so you'd need a convertor or you'd have to connect one of your other sources instead (which isn't a big deal but you might want an optical switch if you want to use more than one source). If you buy a P:5 and two P:1s you're spending £687. The Playbar is only £599. The difference is half a Play:1, so you're a quarter of the way to getting the surrounds anyway. I just don't see the point of doing it the way you're suggesting, it isn't worth the hassle. BTW you only need the Bridge if you can't wire any of the other Sonos devices to your home network but if you're buying now you'll get one for nothing anyway.

Play 5 has integrated subwoofer in it (according to Sonos website). So the Playbar with Play 1s will not delay, while Play 5 will? Hmmm... In terms of cash, I was planning to buy Play 1s in US so it is going to be about £130 a piece + £300 for Play 5 = £560 which is cheaper than standalone Playbar. Bridge is free now so immaterial. But thanks anyway, will have to think again. Versatility of offering again is important but £860 on sound is probably out of my league...

Plugs are no object - I have plenty of those in every room.

Any thoughts about something called Jongo? It seems similar to Sonos but cheaper.

Vladimius said:
I guess Professional installer is out of my budget...

Why don't you get a quote? I was charged only £35 per hour, and it was half a day's job. You'll save by going for passive speakers which are far cheaper.

Alternatively, Kef does a wireless module for rear speakers, which can make any rear speakers wireless.

Vladimius

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
bigboss said:
Vladimius said:
I guess Professional installer is out of my budget...

Why don't you get a quote? I was charged only £35 per hour, and it was half a day's job. You'll save by going for passive speakers which are far cheaper. Alternatively, Kef does a wireless module for rear speakers, which can make any rear speakers wireless.

Thank you for suggestions!

What do you think about this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-BH7530TW-Speakers-Wireless-speakers/dp/B00CS3Z8TU/ref=sr_1_26?s=home-theater&ie=UTF8&qid=1382037382&sr=1-26

Looks like what I need - rear wireless.

A separates system will outperform one box systems. What about Yamaha RX-V375 + Boston Acoustics Soundware XS 5.1 system, with this to make rear speakers wireless?

http://www.automatedhome.co.uk/new-products/wireless-surround-anywhere220-cuts-the-cord-to-your-rear-speakers.html

Nintendologist

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Vladimius - you did mention in the first post that flexibility to move speakers around for parties etc was a consideration, but that seems to have fallen by the wayside?

If so, I'd give some consideration (and get a demo) of a Yamaha YSP2200 sound projector. Depending on your room layout, these can work extremely well, and create surround sound like rear effects without needing any speaker or cables at all. They're also being heavily discounted at the moment by certain dealers, making the system fall into your budget range.

If you're really interested in portable speakers for TV and music use, the Sonos system is not what I'd recommend. I used to have a Connect: Amp unit on my TV setup (only for a very short while between systems) and the audio delay was a pain (it seemed to alter slightly depending on the source, and fiddling around in the app mid TV programme or movie was frustrating) - you'd have the same problem with a Play: 5/3/1. I'd highly recommend the Ruarkaudio MR1 bluetooth speakers - they have a single wire to connect into your TV, bluetooth to allow streaming of music from most sources (what doesn't have BT that's 'smart' thesedays?), and they're easy enough to unplug and shift to a kitchen or whatnot for a party. Plus they sound extremely good for their size..

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts