Sonic warmth

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
To wrap up my curiosity in terms of compatibility, what is the best combination between amp and speakers for a truly 'warm' texture of sound. What ia m looking for is transparency, 'presence' and 'warmth'. It seems that detail can be compromised by this, but the previous features are really my primary concern. I listen mainly to classical music. Willing to spend up to £750 on amp and the same on Speakers. Is Arcam and Proac a good choice?

A

Anonymous

That's a very good choice - the Arcam A32 amplifier (just discontinued) or the Arcam A28 with the ProAc Studio 110s would be a very nice combonation; full of the warmth you are searching for, yet with unrivalled transparency and 'presence'. A perfect choice for classical with the superb Arcam/ProAc soundstaging too!

A

Anonymous

thanks, but i cannot get hold of those amps. i just saw a similar one on seven oaks diva 90 i believe for £400 only-is that worth it? I agree with pink floyd!

A

Anonymous

sorry, how can i contact you directly without saddling the forum with idiosyncrasies? nuno thanks

A

Anonymous

Bismarckian:sorry, how can i contact you directly without saddling the forum with idiosyncrasies? nuno thanks

I'll shout to any Andrew, Andy, Richard or Claire about the place...

"Andrew, Andy, Claire...can you send my email address to Mr.Bismarckian?"

That should solve it!

A

Anonymous

tose arcams a28 (32) are difficult to get hold of. would the diva 90 meet the same standards?

A

Anonymous

The Arcam A90 for £400 is a very competative amplifier. The only fault I had with one when I heard an example was that I could have wanted a bit more power and "thump" to the delivery...however, it's a small problem on a nicely balanced amplifier.

Oh and thankyou for the Pink Floyd comment...I thought I was on my own here! lol.

A

Anonymous

Thanks.Well, the 'thump' can be overcome with my alumni subwoofer i guess. As for the Flyd, like Karajam, they were quite concerned with the quality of their recordings. The wall is possbly one of the best recordings of the late 70's i guess. thank you

A

Anonymous

Bismarckian:Thanks.Well, the 'thump' can be overcome with my alumni subwoofer i guess. As for the Flyd, like Karajam, they were quite concerned with the quality of their recordings. The wall is possbly one of the best recordings of the late 70's i guess. thank you

Yes, certainly...I felt the best recording of all that they did was "The Final Cut" album of 1982 which has some absolutly awsomely recorded music...I've yet to hear an album with so much dynamic range!

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Hughes123:That's a very good choice - the Arcam A32 amplifier (just discontinued) or the Arcam A28 with the ProAc Studio 110s would be a very nice combonation; full of the warmth you are searching for, yet with unrivalled transparency and 'presence'. A perfect choice for classical with the superb Arcam/ProAc soundstaging too!

Sorry but I disagree. The 28 does'nt sound particularely 'warm'. Its more a sound that lacks incisiveness and good detail yet is smooth in slightly grainy sort of way with a treble that does'nt integrate as well as others, which probably also explains the lack of coherence and timing. It's also not particularely transparent, being almost totally unable to edge out any reasonable depth behind the speakers and that was when used with the companies new top player. I would guess that ProAcs will make the situation worse as they add/detract little on the rythm side yet have a relatively strong treble unit.

Some CA 840 components I had here sounded much 'warmer' ie. had better colour and with it presence on instruments and voices. Treble was far superior as was bass extension, linearity and control. Equally, dynamics where much more pronounced and that was with speakers that are far from universally praised in that particular department. They where not perfect as in they can sound a bit stiffled or mechanical at times though its not something that's always apparent. Yes the Arcam/s may sound a bit more fluent at times but there's a hefty price to pay for that.

At that sort of money consider AVI's ADM9.1. If used with a sub they are superior to anything I've heard at or near the price. Despite what people think and often comment on (many without having even heard them) they have dynamics, fluidity and transparency which you probably won't find at twice the price if not more. Add the said sub and warmth/scale is added too. It would run circles around Arcam.

A

Anonymous

final cut-yes, though the 'hiss' is unforgiving unlike ith 'wall'-now, i'm really in two minds about this arcam diva 90...do you think that roksan kandy (£650 wifi) does not meet the 'warmth' criteria? in which case it's worth it compared to this arcam 90...

A

Anonymous

uau! that is some advice, any thanks. allow me some elaboration as to what i am looking for.

A

Anonymous

i just had a look at thos speakers, and they go well beynd my £750 budget...as for the amplification, wasn't quite sure wht you recommended?

daveh75

Bismarckian:tose arcams a28 (32) are difficult to get hold of. would the diva 90 meet the same standards?
dunno if this helps, although not as cheap as the a32's have been/were going for,but still within your budget there abouts. available from divine audio,

A

Anonymous

thanks- i though the 32 was discontinued...can i still buy it, and is this superior to the new integrated Roksan (the new £750 one) in terms of warmth, transparency and presence?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Bismarckian:i just had a look at thos speakers, and they go well beynd my £750 budget...as for the amplification, wasn't quite sure wht you recommended?

Bismarckian, they are active speakers with built in amplification, pre-amplifier (digital and analogue in), latest Wolfson 8741 DAC's and remote control.

daveh75

it is discontinued yes, but you can still buy it as an end of line product. it has been selling as cheap as 600 but they are getting harder to come by now. i suspect supplies are now becoming exhausted. but 800 is still reasonable,

the likes of peter tyson and superfi are still showing them on there sites at full rrp.

cant comment on how it compares to the roksan amp. never heard it

A

Anonymous

that iis remarkable, given that i could just about sell everything and save so much space-what an odd alternative! thank you

A

Anonymous

I would start with Spendor speakers and the CA 840 integrated amp. Superb speakers and I suspect the amp would work very well with it. The 840 has a class-XD amp which is meant to give some of the midrange benefit of class A. In a nutshell, the CA should so excellent midrange and the Spendors will do superb midrange. The treble and bass will be good too.

A

Anonymous

Bismarckian:that iis remarkable, given that i could just about sell everything and save so much space-what an odd alternative! thank you

Although a remarkable alternative, please remember that you will need a CD player or similar source, and that both speakers need to be plugged into the mains. Also, bear in mind the road to upgrade is hard with active speakers.

A

Anonymous

Mr Hughes,

Yes, i'm aware of that. Unfortunately, i've already purchased DAC magic so i'd be overlapping my purchase. I am inclined to think that i just need to sell all my stuff minus DAc, and get perhaps a proac studio 100 (not the 110), for all the owners who have had them for years just speak wonders in terms of transparency; how they bring the music back to life with such remarkable neutrality and almost authoritarian presence. I have to open another debate between studio 100 vs 110? what do you reckon? 100 are over 12 ears!

A

Anonymous

Certainly, if you want warmth Arcam is one brand you should consider. The ProAc 100 are excellent and quite warm also. Tannoy Eyris DC3 is also very warm, even more than the Studio 100 (I'm not saying it's better, just warmer).

But if you want warmth, there's nothing better than tube amps. I don't know why nobody in this forum seems to be interested in tubes! Tubes are the best for classical music. They show instruments with a real sense of density and tangibility; you can hear all their harmonic structure.

A

Anonymous

Bismarckian:got the arcam a32 at seven oaks! last piece!!!!

Well done mate!!! If you don't mind, how much was it? I got mine for £800 in Feb this year from another local dealer (Overture of Banbury) and I love it! You will too! Do you have any speakers to run it into at the moment & a CD player?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts