Something to get the teeth into . . .

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
For two years I have been very happy useing the Croft Basic 25 Hybrid Intigrated amplifyer. A few changes at the TT has thrown up the possibulity to move on from the basic intigrated amp . . . better signal demands better apmlification? So logicaly, looked at the next two steps up the Croft range, cut a story short, what I tried was not suited to my ears :doh: I started to hear the SS side of the amps, big sound, very dynamic but very wearing . . .

So I am now looking at regressing to my previous life of full valve amplification. Friday, I'm Picking up an Icon Stereo 40mkIII (KT88 valves), along with a couple of RIAA phono stages, one Croft and one PureSound for home evaluation. Constraints are cost and phisical size of the amp.

I dont know where this is going to lead, one problem I may encounter is the PMC LB1 speakers are low on the efficincy stakes at 87db and 4ohms. Icom tell me, suck it and see, but idealy, they would prefer a less dificult load, its not an ideal world so, depends on volumes required, room size, soft funishings, carpets etc., . . . sit on the fence or what? Room 12ft sq, there are limited soft funishings, plus fited carpet.

If you were face with the above, how would you deal with it . . . Back in the good old days for instance my standard speaker was a 6-8ohm Rogers LS35a, EAR 509 power amps. I could go back to LS35a type speaker, but no way the 509s!

This is a speculative post, something to exercise the brain that may give me ideas, one has an open mind.

CJSF

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
The LS3/5as were 11 or 15 ohm, depending on the year.

Not the ones I had, they were stamped on the back, 6-8ohms, seen this argument befor . . . Rogers did a lot of fidling in reserch dept, I had verious obb ball speakers, because of my association with Rogers. I also suspect the modern derivation of the 35as are a more standard 8ohm?

For the purposes of this exercise, we need to stick to 8ohms dont we? In any case 35a's are not made now, hense, '35a type'.

CJSF

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Companies awarded the BBC LS3/5A licence included Chartwell, Rogers, Spendor, Harbeth, Goodmans, RAM and KEF (although KEF supplied the drivers they never made a complete LS3/5A system themselves).

Anything that varied from the strict LS3/5A specifications was not an LS3/5A (even if it was made by a licence holder). The whole idea was that these speakers could be used in OB vehicles and small studios (individually or in pairs) and that any two randomly picked speakers - even from different companies - would work as a pair.

So any 'oddball' versions or variants are just that. Not BBC LS3/5As in the accepted sense. (Like Jim Rogers' JR149s for instance.)

Latterly Spendor and Harbeth (and even Arcaydis) have made similarly sized LS3/5A variants that continue the 'spirit' of the original (like P3ESRs and S3/5R2s and their predecessors), but - unless KEF ever start making the specific type of T27 and B110 drivers again - then there are only the originals. (And tidy ones command a fortune from collectors.)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I think you are heading in exactly the right direction.

For speakers, I would be looking at Audio Note and Harbeth.

I am looking forward to your thoughts.....I like Puresound stuff as well.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Gents, very respectfully, lets leave the LS35a knit picking to one side. Stick with the thought, '35a type'. I am looking for sencible solution to my dilema, we dont have to be looking at a monitor speaker, and they can be a bit larger, my LB1's are twice the size + a bit! . . . I'm open to sugestions on amps as well.

CJSF

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
CJSF said:
altruistic.lemon said:

Not the ones I had, they were stamped on the back, 6-8ohms, seen this argument befor . . . Rogers did a lot of fidling in reserch dept, I had verious obb ball speakers, because of my association with Rogers. I also suspect the modern derivation of the 35as are a more standard 8ohm?

For the purposes of this exercise, we need to stick to 8ohms dont we? In any case 35a's are not made now, hense, '35a type'.

CJSF
It's not an argument, it's a fact, mate. Chebby gives the good oil. If it is as you say, then a BBC-certified LS3/5a it aint.

By the by, Rogers in its later years wasn't the one of old, so maybe they produced a speaker that had the same name, but didn't meet the specs.

If you want to go LS3/5a now then Stirling Broascast produces one, and Harbeth and Spendor produce speakers close to the original, given that KEF no longer make the drivers. Alternatively, Wimslow Audiocan help if you're good with wood.

Personally I'd go for the brand I think incredibly overrated, but they produce one classic, and that's the Sonus Faber Minima Vintage. Brilliant speaker, especially given that SF usually produce warm sludge!

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
CJSF said:
altruistic.lemon said:

CJSF
It's not an argument, it's a fact, mate. Chebby gives the good oil. If it is as you say, then a BBC-certified LS3/5a it aint.

By the by, Rogers in its later years wasn't the one of old, so maybe they produced a speaker that had the same name, but didn't meet the specs.

If you want to go LS3/5a now then Stirling Broascast produces one, and Harbeth and Spendor produce speakers close to the original, given that KEF no longer make the drivers. Alternatively, Wimslow Audiocan help if you're good with wood.

Personally I'd go for the brand I think incredibly overrated, but they produce one classic, and that's the Sonus Faber Minima Vintage. Brilliant speaker, especially given that SF usually produce warm sludge!

Nipping in the bud befor it gets out of hand as these things can do . . . point less anyway, one lives in the real world.

I will have a look at SF on the web, thanks

CJSF

I would seriously consider checking out a pair of EB Acoustics EB2's if I were in your position.

They were easy to drive and worked very well indeed in my system / room. In fact I still have them but will probably be selling them on soon.

They are a sealed-box design and work well close to a rear wall but like your they are a little on the large size!

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
New amp up and runnig for home trial. Fears about speaker sensativity are unfounded, more than enough volume at 10 o'clock. So no speaker change . . . :dance:

Got two RIAA stages to try, on the 2nd one now, waiting for it to warm up, they are both valve jobs!!!

CJSF

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Final evaluation has produced a head and shoulders winner, listening as I write, great music, moste enjoyable, I love KT88's . . . how I'm going to get the demonstrators back to the dealers in this weather??? Its like the North Pole outside:?

CJSF

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts