Some things I learned today

adamrobertshaw

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I popped into the hi-fi shop and learned a few things while I was there and again when I got back home.

1. The hi-fi shop is selling more CD players, CD transports and vinyl players than streaming devices recently. Most of their streaming display stock was up for sale as ex-demo. Anyone else noticed this trend too?

2. The starting cost of a quality / full valve amplifier (i.e. not hybrid) is about £4k and these models require very careful speaker matching as their output is so low. Also noticed that a large output valve amplifier is built like a brick outhouse when compared to a modern class D like Devialet or Cyrus 200. Drummerman wrote a similar thread on how miniaturisation is on the increase ... so to say.

3. I've had the volume and gain controls on my Pathos Aurium turned up really high for a couple of years, mainly to drive some 300 ohm headphones properly. So I took some advice that XLR connections tend to have a stronger signal. I've purchased some XLR leads and gone balanced from the DAC into the Aurium. The gain and volume are now dialed down, but the detail and resolution are so much better, even at lower volumes. Well pleased and I wish I'd done it sooner.

4. After years of intending to swap out some well bright QED speaker cable, I finally did it. The bloke in the shop had used the last 4m of some Carnival Silverscreen to create a terminated pair. Plugged in back home it's the first time my Chord Electronics + Cyrus + Monitor Audio combo has been so tonally balanced that I could just kick back and listen to the music for hours with absolutely no hint of ear fatigue, particularly from the highs. Well pleased again and again I wish I'd done it sooner.

5. I bought a (PSX-R2) and learned that Cyrus suggest I fitted the ferride core on the power lead for ''performance improvement'' reasons. So I did and I have no idea what it is supposed to be doing. Any technical advice?

6. As a long term Cyrus purchaser, I know that I have permanently contracted upgrade-itis. As years pass by I'm learning to cope with my condition. It's expensive ... but thankfully not life threatening.

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
I used to love the idea of Cyrus until I had a load of a Qx DAC amp (not sure of model now) and discovered how unmusical it is. IMO. I meant loan, not load, but daren't correct on this forum because it won't work on iPad.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
adamrobertshaw said:
I popped into the hi-fi shop and learned a few things while I was there and again when I got back home.

1. The hi-fi shop is selling more CD players, CD transports and vinyl players than streaming devices recently. Most of their streaming display stock was up for sale as ex-demo. Anyone else noticed this trend too?

2. The starting cost of a quality / full valve amplifier (i.e. not hybrid) is about £4k and these models require very careful speaker matching as their output is so low. Also noticed that a large output valve amplifier is built like a brick outhouse when compared to a modern class D like Devialet or Cyrus 200. Drummerman wrote a similar thread on how miniaturisation is on the increase ... so to say.

3. I've had the volume and gain controls on my Pathos Aurium turned up really high for a couple of years, mainly to drive some 300 ohm headphones properly. So I took some advice that XLR connections tend to have a stronger signal. I've purchased some XLR leads and gone balanced from the DAC into the Aurium. The gain and volume are now dialed down, but the detail and resolution are so much better, even at lower volumes. Well pleased and I wish I'd done it sooner.

4. After years of intending to swap out some well bright QED speaker cable, I finally did it. The bloke in the shop had used the last 4m of some Carnival Silverscreen to create a terminated pair. Plugged in back home it's the first time my Chord Electronics + Cyrus + Monitor Audio combo has been so tonally balanced that I could just kick back and listen to the music for hours with absolutely no hint of ear fatigue, particularly from the highs. Well pleased again and again I wish I'd done it sooner.

5. I bought a (PSX-R2) and learned that Cyrus suggest I fitted the ferride core on the power lead for ''performance improvement'' reasons. So I did and I have no idea what it is supposed to be doing. Any technical advice?

6. As a long term Cyrus purchaser, I know that I have permanently contracted upgrade-itis. As years pass by I'm learning to cope with my condition. It's expensive ... but thankfully not life threatening.

There is no such thing as "bright cables". You are living in a dream world.

Chris

adamrobertshaw

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Cyrus divides opinion like marmite.

I have a similar issue with Naim. I find it sounds wet and thin.

In some of the older Cyrus models, like my five year old 8XPdQX, the DAC is a real weak point. Hence why I have the Chord Qute HD in situ.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
I found No1 very interesting. Other points very balanced. Hopefully the post will expand into a useful and informative thread. I will continue when sober! *drinks*

My neighbour has Cyrus Signature pre power and DAC.

adamrobertshaw

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I was writing earlier while guzzling some cider. I noticed I was focussing better with one eye closed. I also noticed my stereo sounded better with both my eyes closed *drinks*

I've never noticed people stating the colour of their kit before.

I always get Walnut for some reason.

Commend your neighbour on his fine choice of Cyrus kit.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Are yes never noticed before re colour or finish! Regarding miniaturisation most amplifier technology is mature unless we develop new material/chemistry or a design/software solution amps are pretty mature. Dev has gone some way in software solution to push the envelope forwards. Oh and I love wobbly threads ifor. *preved*

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
adamrobertshaw said:

...2. The starting cost of a quality / full valve amplifier (i.e. not hybrid) is about £4k and these models require very careful speaker matching as their output is so low. Also noticed that a large output valve amplifier is built like a brick outhouse when compared to a modern class D like Devialet or Cyrus 200. Drummerman wrote a similar thread on how miniaturisation is on the increase ... so to say...

I paid £1250 for my brand new start of the valve art amplifier. Direct from the chap who built it for me.

You can pay £4000 or more for a valve amp from dealer if you want. I wouldn't.

The best sounding valve amps are flat track bullies, as you / your dealer quite rightly pointed out.

Jota180

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Number 1 is possibly down to the fact most serious hifi buyers are old farts and a high percentage of old farts tend to be technologically challenged. As the years go by that proportion will decrease as the generation who grew up in the computer era take their place. Also, you don't need a hifi streamer to stream music. You need a CD player to play CD's and you need a record player to play records.

You just need a hard drive (or NAS) a control point which could be something like Foobar, JRiver or even Windows media player, BubbleUPnP for Android or numerous other options to control and select your music. NAS drives come with software to stream music, photo's and movies built in and they have apps for your phone so again, no need for a hifi streamer. Just an amp, speakers or active speakers on their own.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Jota180 said:
Number 1 is possibly down to the fact most serious hifi buyers are old farts and a high percentage of old farts tend to be technologically challenged. As the years go by that proportion will decrease as the generation who grew up in the computer era take their place. Also, you don't need a hifi streamer to stream music. You need a CD player to play CD's and you need a record player to play records.

You just need a hard drive (or NAS) a control point which could be something like Foobar, JRiver or even Windows media player, BubbleUPnP for Android or numerous other options to control and select your music. NAS drives come with software to stream music, photo's and movies built in and they have apps for your phone so again, no need for a hifi streamer. Just an amp, speakers or active speakers on their own.

Some, not just 'old farts', prefer not to have to ****** around with computers to play music, they would like something that is recognisably a piece of hi-fi even if it is a 'computer' inside.

However the quite ridiculous pricing of stand alone streamers and dac/preamps turns many people off. Compare the funtionality of the Marantz MCR series or the Yamaha RN network receivers with extremely limited 'streamers' that usually do less and cost more.

For my own use, the new Cambridge CXN would be close to ideal, but it's £700...!

And it still does not have two pairs of outputs (speakers + sub) nor does it have a headphone amp, unforgiveable really, at that price. Similarly, compedent remote control dac pre/amps are pricy too, nothing of note under £400, absurd really.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
davedotco said:
However the quite ridiculous pricing of stand alone streamers and dac/preamps turns many people off. Compare the funtionality of the Marantz MCR series or the Yamaha RN network receivers with extremely limited 'streamers' that usually do less and cost more.

You buy the missing features in other separate brushed aluminium boxes. And then you buy for those separate linear regulated PSUs in their own brushed aluminium boxes. And then you buy special USB, RCA, XLR and power cables for all that. Otherwise it's not hi-fi.

Only an ignorant inexperienced lad that hasn't gone to 500 symphonies and 500 hi-fi shows, would buy a PC with studio grade sound card and studio active monitors for the same price a Linn streamer would cost you.

adamrobertshaw

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
When I was running an external DAC, particularly the Qute HD into the DAC XP Signature, I was able to take out the PSX-R as it didn't need any external help. The output from Chord kit seems particularly strong, which makes me wonder why a lot of folks update their power supply on the Chordette separates.

But I've decided to keep my main system pure Cyrus. So got the latest version of the PSX-R. I could have had an ex-demo older version at 60% of the price. But if technology keeps moving forward, why buy into the past?

I don't have a verdict yet as to what the new PSX-R2 will bring as I've only played two tunes yesterday.

I get a bit miffed now and again with all the hassle digital libraries brings ... missing meta data and album art, keeping my old PC running with the DB poweramp ripping software, NAS and wires here and there. But then I remember that once set up it works really well.

The main moan that customers appeared to raise was buffering and drop outs on internet radio. That crops up with me now and again and specifically because I'm using a computer at the same time as I'm streaming radio. The solution is to do one or the other.

I've tied a lot of kit (and cost) up into a headphone only set up. I listened for about four hours yesterday evening and I'm well pleased with the results. Close my eyes, listen and chillax. Perfect.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
I guess I qualify as an old fart and yes I like the simplicity of CDs. I also like their timelessness, I have loads from the 1980s that still work exactly the same and as well as they did then.

And although I spent most of my life in IT management and might still be regarded as technically competent, I do find streaming technology a bit scary, not least because it seems to have so many options and no central standard. It seems to me that it needs the technology companies to get together and agree a common standard like we have for CDs and then we would get a stable platform we could invest in.

Chris

PS I've been thinking about building a valve amplifier and might do so next year when my degree course finishes. I would have to revise but I reckon reading a couple of textbooks would get me there and the actual build would be fun.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Vladimir said:
davedotco said:

You buy the missing features in other separate brushed aluminium boxes. And then you buy for those separate linear regulated PSUs in their own brushed aluminium boxes. And then you buy special USB, RCA, XLR and power cables for all that. Otherwise it's not hi-fi.

Only an ignorant inexperienced lad that hasn't gone to 500 symphonies and 500 hi-fi shows, would buy a PC with studio grade sound card and studio active monitors for the same price a Linn streamer would cost you.

Actually, inexperienced old sod that I am, the idea of the new Marantz NR1605 doing everything I require, Airplay, Spotify Connect, Internet radio etc, etc into active speakers strikes me as the way forward.

Combine with a pair of Adam Artist6 floorstanders for about £900 all in, practically a hi-fi free zone!

If I decice to go with Apple Music rather than Spotify Connect, the cheaper NR1504 is about £100 cheaper, enough, I hope, to by the new Apple TV when it is finally released.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I forgot to add bubinga wood quantum kosher dharma cable elevators. Packaged by the manufacturer in brushed aluminium boxes, of course.

I'll leave the hi-fi wall sockets to your imagination.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
adamrobertshaw said:
They are supposed to filter noise, as for performace benifits, only you could decide, personely I would not worry.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Vladimir said:
davedotco said:

Agree but not everyone wants to boot up a computer and delve into menus before being able to listen to music.

What you are paying for (dearly in some instances) is the user friendliness ... but there are of course exceptions as usual.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
drummerman said:
Agree but not everyone wants to boot up a computer and delve into menus before being able to listen to music.

That is exactly what you're doing with a streamer, however there is less distraction since it is a specialized tool.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
davedotco said:
Vladimir said:
davedotco said:

Actually, inexperienced old sod that I am, the idea of the new Marantz NR1605 doing everything I require, Airplay, Spotify Connect, Internet radio etc, etc into active speakers strikes me as the way forward.

Combine with a pair of Adam Artist6 floorstanders for about £900 all in, practically a hi-fi free zone!

If I decice to go with Apple Music rather than Spotify Connect, the cheaper NR1504 is about £100 cheaper, enough, I hope, to by the new Apple TV when it is finally released.
Have you listened to the Artist 6. Am actually looking to dwn size. Looks like a good prospect, or 5.1 active system.

Am looking at....

Adam Artist 5.1

QNAP TS-453MINI: streamer

Linn Seanky DSM or upgrade from my OPPO105EU to the 105D due to limitation of gapless play on the 105EU.

adamrobertshaw

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I've got the Mac Mini to boot straight onto Audirvana + with maximum setting to stop other software running.

The streamers sounds less clinical than the Mac and turn and off on a lot quicker.

I do enjoy the interaction of loading a CD. I don't enjoy the storage space they take up.

One thing I've noticed since I've started streaming more than CD playing is that I can no longer remember album titles. My recognition and play selection of music comes from recognising the album art while browsing on screens.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Native_bon said:
Have you listened to the Artist 6. Am actually looking to dwn size. Looks like a good prospect, or 5.1 active system.

Am looking at....

Adam Artist 5.1

QNAP TS-453MINI: streamer

Linn Seanky DSM or upgrade from my OPPO105EU to the 105D due to limitation of gapless play on the 105EU.

I am fairly familier with Adam speakers in general and have spent some time with the Artist5. Generally the small Adams, A3x, A5x, Artists all sound very similar.

The Artist6 is the odd one out though, the twin bass driver arrangement has no equivilent in the pro range. A brief listen suggests that it sounds somewhere between an A5x and an A7x, though nowhere near as big and bold as the A8x.

Some have suggested that it is a more 'relaxed' listen than the A series but I really haven't heard that, it simply sounds pretty transparent to my ears with very well controlled bass, important for me.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Dont forget you are paying for all the support with a streamer, the software upgrades so you can run the latest streaming service etc, does not come cheap. How often does you CD Player get a software upgrade so it has more functionality?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts