Some brands ignored ?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I wonder why some good brands are not tested at all - for example Vincent, TAC, Prima Luna, Audia, Analogue Audio, GoldNote ... Is it because they are not present on british market ?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
That's probably not a bad reason, I've never heard of any of them.

The general rule of thumb is if a manufacturer doesn't send their product to WHF they can't review it. Manufacturers that don't sell in the UK are unlikely to send their products to a UK magazine for review.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I've heard a few Audia bits when they were briefly distributed via Henley Designs - good sounding stuff with Bryston build quality. High prices though, and lack of public awareness probably saw to it that they didn't last long over here.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
With some of the smaller or less well known brands distributors dip in and out of the UK market – we only try and review products that are available for sale and have official UK distribution.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Andy Clough said:
With some of the smaller or less well known brands distributors dip in and out of the UK market – we only try and review products that are available for sale and have official UK distribution.

And Epos, for exemple the new range Epic and Elan...? No reviews wath so ever...

power

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
I wouldnt want to start a conspiracy theory but I have also observed that there are brands that almost all their products are always reviewed and other well known brands that you are lucky to come across a review of them. Does this have anything to do eith the expenditure of these brands on advertising on WHF?

If you look at brands like Onkyo and Yamaha they are always reviewed and they almost always come out with a very high star rating.

Hi-FiOutlaw said:
Andy Clough said:

And Epos, for exemple the new range Epic and Elan...? No reviews wath so ever...

Ahem...

http://www.whathifi.com/review/epos-epic-1

WHFI rely on companies letting them have a review product. If a manufacturer isn't forthcoming there's little they can do. (Occasionally they borrow a product from a local dealer and the odd occasion they will go out and buy a product: Gotham interconnects and AVI spring to mind).

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
but I have my conspiracy theory, and not only covers the What Hi-fi magazine, but the main audio and video magazines, and is not related specifically to the fact or not to advertise in their pages ...

Although this fact may have influence, but I can give you an example that does not fall in advertising ...

My theory is related for example by ranges:In the magazine What Hi-Fi, for example the range of monitor audio silver is very present.

Already in Hi-Fi Choice did not see a single mention of the range silver, but gold range as the award "Hi-fi choice" which is the same as the five stars of "What Hi-Fi", and the gold range (GX200) was gold only 4 stars.

In "Home Cinema Choice", the set GX for home cinema, had 5 stars ...

I think every magazine advocates a range of a specific brand...
and each magazine has its favorite brands ...

I have said!
Now here comes "EDIT" ...

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
Andy Clough said:

Ahem...

WHFI rely on companies letting them have a review product. If a manufacturer isn't forthcoming there's little they can do. (Occasionally they borrow a product from a local dealer and the odd occasion they will go out and buy a product: Gotham interconnects and AVI spring to mind).

exactly what I just said in my previous post ...
like to see a review of the Epos Epic 5, for example ... :roll:

power

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
I wonder if it is really about offering your product for review as suggested above by one of the respondents. There are very good brands out there that beats the most reviewed brands hands down. Are you telling me that these brands would shy away from offering their products to be tested and loose out on the free publicity? I don't think so. The association of the brands to the magazines must have a bias effect on who gets reviewed regularly and how well they are rated.

Hi-FiOutlaw said:
plastic penguin said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
Andy Clough said:

Ahem...

You use many examples: They recently tested PMC 22 but that doesn't mean to say they'll test the 21. They've never tested TB2s or Focal 714V...

Exposure 2010S amp and CDP was tested but not the 3010S CDP.

Can't expect them to test every model from every brand. No conspiracy. Just practicality.

power

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Check brands like Yamaha. Almost the entire RXA range has been reviewed whereas other brands are hardly featured so I doubt it hAs anything to do with practicality

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
plastic penguin said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
Andy Clough said:

Ahem...

You use many examples: They recently tested PMC 22 but that doesn't mean to say they'll test the 21. They've never tested TB2s or Focal 714V...

Exposure 2010S amp and CDP was tested but not the 3010S CDP.

Can't expect them to test every model from every brand. No conspiracy. Just practicality.

Is it now...?

Paul.

The magazines job is to sell reviews. People want to read about kit that's available to them. More people have access to MA for instance than Epos, more people are aware of MA than Epos, so logically writing about MA is more likely to sell magazines. No conspiracy, just common sence.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
power said:
Check brands like Yamaha. Almost the entire RXA range has been reviewed whereas other brands are hardly featured so I doubt it hAs anything to do with practicality

Yamaha clearly have an efficient PR team that make sure new models are sent in for review in a timely manner.

Take KEF as an example, generally well reviewed in WHF, Product of the Year with the Q300 (I think) but still, to my knowledge, have yet to send anything from the R-series range. Not down to WHF, entirely due to KEF not bothering, either deliberately or otherwise, not much WHF can do about it.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
but I have my conspiracy theory, and not only covers the What Hi-fi magazine, but the main audio and video magazines, and is not related specifically to the fact or not to advertise in their pages ...

Although this fact may have influence, but I can give you an example that does not fall in advertising ...

My theory is related for example by ranges:In the magazine What Hi-Fi, for example the range of monitor audio silver is very present.

Already in Hi-Fi Choice did not see a single mention of the range silver, but gold range as the award "Hi-fi choice" which is the same as the five stars of "What Hi-Fi", and the gold range (GX200) was gold only 4 stars.

I have said!

This isn't a theory, it's a poorly expressed observation that different publications like different products. Big deal.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Paul Hobbs said:
The magazines job is to sell reviews. People want to read about kit that's available to them. More people have access to MA for instance than Epos, more people are aware of MA than Epos, so logically writing about MA is more likely to sell magazines. No conspiracy, just common sence.

I fully agree with that !!! :cheer:

let us see if that is going to be for long... i've nothing against monitor audio, as they are one of my favorite speaker brands!
but as you know Epos changed hands...
and I don't have no particular likes for Epos as well, i've just used their exemples as they have received the "speaker of the year award" under 1000£... by hi fi choice.

The_Lhc said:
Yamaha clearly have an efficient PR team that make sure new models are sent in for review in a timely manner.

Exactly my point. Some companies have better PR team than others. If the companies don't market it well (& provide samples to WHF), then they won't be reviewed. I would like to see a manufacturer / dealer complaining that their products were not reviewed despite sending samples. :shifty:

I don't see any conspiracy here at all.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
bigboss said:
The_Lhc said:

Exactly my point. Some companies have better PR team than others. If the companies don't market it well (& provide samples to WHF), then they won't be reviewed. I would like to see a manufacturer / dealer complaining that their products were not reviewed despite sending samples. :shifty:

This is also true, but the magazines ask for Equipment to some brand as well.

If they don't send it, it's their fault Intirely ( of the brands)...

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
bigboss said:
The_Lhc said:

This is also true, but the magazines ask for Equipment to some brand as well.

I imagine they ask for most brands (they've definitely been asking for the R-series), if the manufacturer doesn't cough up there's little WHF can do about it.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
BenLaw said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:

I have said!

This isn't a theory, it's a poorly expressed observation that different publications like different products. Big deal.

Conspiracy theory should, be beetwin "." ...

Am not a writer, I have no knowledge to write on the subject, and also my native language is not English. As You all should have realized ...

But it is possible for me to have an opinion on the matter? or not?

I have written in this forum and said several times in other forums, I like the "what hi fi" magazine, like the work they provid, buy the magazine every month, I think the magazine staf can and should draw many examples from what is mentioned here (in the forum).

Most of the equipment bought over the years was due to opinions and reviews from WHF mag.

And to finish WHF mag is the only magazine that has a forum that allows to express opinions, point of views and "conspiracy theories" (without being so). :doh:

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
bh69 said:
I wonder why some good brands are not tested at all - for example Vincent, TAC, Prima Luna, Audia, Analogue Audio, GoldNote ... Is it because they are not present on british market ?

Nope its because you buy the wrong magazines (not a dig at whf byraway).

All of your above brands have been reviewed in the past, and in some cases fairly recently, elsewhere. So a bit of thumbing through other publications is what you need to do ;) .

floyd droid said:
bh69 said:

Nope its because you buy the wrong magazines (not a dig at whf byraway).

All of your above brands have been reviewed in the past, and in some cases fairly recently, elsewhere. So a bit of thumbing through other publications is what you need to do ;) .

All they need to do is scroll through this http://www.whathifi.com/reviews/hi-fi. Even if a brand is unlisted chances are you'll find them (thinking of Totem)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts