soft dome v metal dome tweeters....do you have a preferance?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
ive read many posts on here regarding both types, some prefer soft domes, some metal, and some say that there isn't much between them once they're partnered well..

well my own observations based on my old monitor audio rx6's and my current dynaudios are that in my room at least, and with my yamaha amp (which i never got to hear my rx6's with) the soft dome tweeters are much nicer..

i used to tire of listening to my rx6's after a couple of hours, but i can listen to my dyns for days (and literally have done), the highs are so detailed yet somehow smooth and easy on my ears, it's probably the wrong word but "velvety" keeps springing to mind, and there's no sibilence at all, just crisp,deft little sounds of cymbals, etc. very nice indeed..

any views??

A

Anonymous

Based on my own experiences and what I have read of others' it comes down to execution, i.e. how good the speakers and their crossovers are, and how well the amp drives them.

matthewpiano

I've enjoyed speakers that use both, but my current speakers of choice (and likely to remain that way for a long time) use soft dome tweeters brilliantly and have better treble than any other affordable speaker I've heard.

maxflinn:
ive read many posts on here regarding both types, some prefer soft domes, some metal, and some say that there isn't much between them once they're partnered well..

well my own observations based on my old monitor audio rx6's and my current dynaudios are that in my room at least, and with my yamaha amp (which i never got to hear my rx6's with) the soft dome tweeters are much nicer..

i used to tire of listening to my rx6's after a couple of hours, but i can listen to my dyns for days (and literally have done), the highs are so detailed yet somehow smooth and easy on my ears, it's probably the wrong word but "velvety" keeps springing to mind, and there's no sibilence at all, just crisp,deft little sounds of cymbals, etc. very nice indeed..

any views??

Hi maxflinn

I like both. Dynaudio's Esotar2, Monitor Audio's Platinum Ribbon, Focal's beryllium and Yamaha's beryllium (as used in the NS1000) are the finest HF units i've heard.
emotion-1.gif
ATC's first ever HF unit promises to be exceptional.
emotion-2.gif

Btw, how are you getting on with your speaker cable?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

hi rick, im very happy with the speaker cable, i was surprised at just how heavy the package was, and at the thickness of that juicy electricity lovin copper
emotion-4.gif
, they're very well put together too, i reckon you must have made a pair before
emotion-5.gif

as for the sound? hmmm, i'm very conscious of falling into the placebo trap, they look and feel so good that i might want to like them, i need to be mindful of that, having said that, ive had the speakers 2 weeks now and yet only felt the need to announce my enjoyment of their highs tonight, and i only plugged in your new cables yesterday, so.......
emotion-5.gif

tyranniux42

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Diamond
emotion-2.gif
....shame I cant afford them just yet!

I cant really give a fair opinion on soft domes as the only recent speakers I have heard with them are my dads Wharfedale diamond 9.1's, which arent really in the same league as my 683's or even my 602s3's (IMHO) which are both metal domes.

The 683's tweeter is much improved over the 602s3's btw!

regards

Dan

maxflinn:

hi rick, im very happy with the speaker cable, i was surprised at just how heavy the package was, and at the thickness of that juicy electricity lovin copper
emotion-4.gif
emotion-5.gif

as for the sound? hmmm, i'm very conscious of falling into the placebo trap, they look and feel so good that i might want to like them, i need to be mindful of that, having said that, ive had the speakers 2 weeks now and yet only felt the need to announce my enjoyment of their highs tonight, and i only plugged in the cables yesterday, so.......
emotion-5.gif

Sounds good so far, Max. I would honestly advise you to just to enjoy for a few weeks yet. Had a dilemma when I first bought the Leema - I've had it 4 months and I'm still hearing something new and exciting each time I play music. It takes time to fully adjust to the new sounds.

A

Anonymous

you're dead right there pp, ive currently got dire straits greatest hits playing on a loop and as corny as it sounds, ive got over that analytical stage and am really just enjoying the music and all the little nuances of it..ive found the perfect system for me in my room
emotion-11.gif
not through extensive demoing, but through a bit of experimentation, logic, trust in advice and a bit of luck
emotion-5.gif

maxflinn:
emotion-4.gif
emotion-5.gif

as for the sound? hmmm, i'm very conscious of falling into the placebo trap, they look and feel so good that i might want to like them, i need to be mindful of that, having said that, ive had the speakers 2 weeks now and yet only felt the need to announce my enjoyment of their highs tonight, and i only plugged in your new cables yesterday, so.......
emotion-5.gif

Hi maxflinn

Thanks for your reply.

I've used these speaker cables for years now and i've still to find them to hold any amplifier and speakers back regardless of price.
emotion-1.gif
These speaker cables are currently being used to connect Dynaudio's new DM 3/7's and the Plinius Hiato. The results are stunning.
emotion-2.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

maxflinn:

emotion-4.gif
emotion-5.gif

emotion-5.gif

BTW what speaker cable are you using? is it a bespoke jobbie or off the peg brand?

A

Anonymous

its neither pp, its hand made to order, at a very reasonable price, by/from rick @ musicraft
emotion-1.gif

im not sure if it has a name, im sure rick will fill us in though...

hasty edit... bespoke is hand made to order, isn't it
emotion-10.gif

daveh75

maxflinn:
you're dead right there pp, ive currently got dire straits greatest hits playing on a loop and as corny as it sounds, ive got over that analytical stage and am really just enjoying the music and all the little nuances of it..ive found the perfect system for me in my room
emotion-11.gif
not through extensive demoing, but through a bit of experimentation, logic, trust in advice and a bit of luck
emotion-5.gif

Nuances!

Starting to sound like a anal retentive, pretentious true audiophile now max
emotion-1.gif
You'll be upgrading mains cables next
emotion-4.gif

A

Anonymous

daveh75:maxflinn:

emotion-11.gif
emotion-5.gif

Nuances!

emotion-1.gif
emotion-4.gif

ive just ordered a black velvet blazer and joined a wine forum
emotion-4.gif

daveh75:maxflinn:

emotion-11.gif
emotion-5.gif

Nuances!

emotion-1.gif
emotion-4.gif

I have neighbours that are total nuances....
emotion-4.gif

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
igglebert:Based on my own experiences and what I have read of others' it comes down to execution, i.e. how good the speakers and their crossovers are, and how well the amp drives them.
Agree.

Recently demo'd eight different speakers - which included metal, paper and composite tweeters - and there seems to be no hard 'n' fast rule; all variants were capable of being too bright/forward IME.

My current speakers will not, mercifully, generate 'tinkly' top-end treble - and they have metal tweeters.

A

Anonymous

The Monitor Audios of 10 years ago put me off metal dome tweeters - lots of tizz and an uncomfortable listen. The newer Elacs to me sound better, but, as long as the speaker is well-balanced with a non-fatiguing sound, I'm not fussed

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Soft Dome Tweeters it is! I used to be a big fan of B&W CM series, specially. But, the metal dome tweeters drove me crazy once I realized that it was the problem that I had with the system. After listening to the Excite series of Dynaudio, it was a night and day difference in the high end spectrum - CM 7/9 was too sharp and jarring and with excite it went off magically!!! Which brings me to buy the Contour series :)

scene

As others have said, it depends on the execution (and why are we ignoring horn tweeters, and ribbon tweeters
emotion-5.gif
).

The only thing I have found, from my experience with MAs, is that metal dome tweeters take a fair bit of running in and can very sound harsh and bright straight out of the packing. I think this can put people off. Soft domes tend to sound closer to their final state from the outset.

scene:As others have said, it depends on the execution (and why are we ignoring horn tweeters, and ribbon tweeters
emotion-5.gif
).
The only thing I have found, from my experience with MAs, is that metal dome tweeters take a fair bit of running in and can very sound harsh and bright straight out of the packing. I think this can put people off. Soft domes tend to sound closer to their final state from the outset.

Find it quite interesting regards different interpretations of hard domed tweeters. As I mentioned previously, I really do believe room acoustics is so influential. It's probably right if you hooked up MAs to an all Cyrus or all Leema system in a very reflective room, the sound could be brittle and edgy.

scene

plastic penguin:
scene:As others have said, it depends on the execution (and why are we ignoring horn tweeters, and ribbon tweeters
emotion-5.gif
).

Find it quite interesting regards different interpretations of hard domed tweeters. As I mentioned previously, I really do believe room acoustics is so influential. It's probably right if you hooked up MAs to an all Cyrus or all Leema system in a very reflective room, the sound could be brittle and edgy.

You're right there, whereas an MA RS (or Silver 8i) hooked up to a mellow Arcam (say an A85 or AVR250) produces a synergy that is greater than the sum of the parts (IMHO). And therein lies the heart of the audiophile adage of "demo, demo, demo"
emotion-1.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts