So, what would you change next...?

T

the record spot

Sansui AU-717 amplifier Mission 752 floorstander Marantz SA7001-KI CD player Of those three, which one would you look to upgrade next? My current set-up gives me a good big soundstage and, I feel, a very impressive sound. There's no harshness, the detail is all there, but not at the expense of the overall music so it's not too forensic when playing discs. The phono stage is excellent IMO and on the few occasions I've had the turntable out, I've no complaints. It has two phono inputs, so I could add a second record deck if I wwanted to (although, as the first one's on top of the wardrobe until the children are bigger, that's not happening!). This isn't a case of being unhappy with the sound or the kit, but I'm at a loss to work out what I would change next. Cables, mains block and other fripperies are out of the question in terms of "improvements" over and above what I have just now - hence, not required. Standalone DACs are out as I need SACD functionality (none offer that). Budget would be say, £1000-£1500 level components each. Only one thing gets changed though, so what one would you upgrade and why? Reason for asking is I'm having a hard time working out which one would be next - as there will be a next - and I should add, although I often advocate active speakers, they're out just now, or at least until we move into a place of our own (wall mounting isn't an option in our current rented place).

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
I don't suppose I have anything really useful to contribute, given my narrow breadth of experience, but based on recent experience, I would suggest trying out a range of speakers. Yes, the Missions are widely acknowledged as classics, but you might find it very interesting to try a range of 'young bloods'. I was amazed at the differences in sound characteristics the different speakers I have recently auditioned brought out of my kit.

Of course, I will also chuck into the thread that popular question: "are you simply seeking change for change sake?" You state that you find the current sound impressive and seem satisfied with what you have. Is it the upgrade bug biting? Are you simply curious? Are you like me - you enjoy the sound you have, but just know you can achieve even better?

A

Anonymous

I'd try some different speakers. I'm not sure if you'll find anything that improves enough on the Missions for the budget, but if used is an option the odds increase. Speaker upgrades have always made the most difference to me. Provided you're sensitive to matching the load to your amp that is.

What to try? Easiest thing is to see what your collection of local dealers has rather than setting your sights specifically.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I have a feeling a £1500 replacement, whatever it is, will unsettle what you have and further upgrades are probably needed.

Why not add something that adds functionality rather than changes sound?

A

Anonymous

Well if it were me I'd maybe try some modern speakers with the Vintage amp...... there might be a pleasant surprise in store. May be check out some of the Dali range.......mentor minuet......or may be the Tannoy revolution DC6T floorstanders.

Alternatively get your self a retro tape player / reel to reel and fool around.

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
I just knew RS was asking for trouble...
emotion-2.gif

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
You sound like you've already attained audio nirvana. Perhaps you should spend your dough on..

To allow you to enjoy your stuff to the max.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Big Chris:
You sound like you've already attained audio nirvana. Perhaps you should spend your dough on..

Eameslounch.jpg

To allow you to enjoy your stuff to the max.

The real Eames Lounge Chair and Ottoman (made by Herman Miller or Vitra) now costs about $4800 (+shipping from the USA and duties).

The Vitra version can be bought for £4587 at Heals.

No point in buying a 'knock off'.

A

Anonymous

ESP2009:I just knew RS was asking for trouble...
emotion-2.gif

You are right! This was never going to end well..........££££ wise for the RS

T

the record spot

Haha, well, I think we can safely say that chairs and other furniture are out the question here! Likewise, as said earlier, cables and conditioners. Nice ideas and some good points from ESP2009 and Plastic Penguin.

Chebby's Apple/AVI option seems attractive on the face of it, but the ADM's built in DAC doesn't appeal. I like some say on how I build a system and like some flexibility, good though the product is and I've always liked the Acoustic Energy and Genelec speakers at £900. The Apple kit here leaves me cold. The Apple TV is underspecced compared to the rival Western Digital product (which goes up to 1080p HD video against the 720 of the ATV and for similar money) and the Mac Mini looks less like good value with the last generation of Quad Core Intel or AMD machines coming down in price against the new Intel i-series chipset. Suddenly 320Gb and 2Gb RAM at £700 becomes a poor proposition to my eyes.

Headphones are an option, as indeed are better used speakers. Audio Emotion and Jordan Acoustics have some fine options there.

Alas, reel-to-reel, vintage exotica, though attractive, are unlikely. No plans to add to the hardware count here. Chairs and interconnects are absolutely out the question...!

EDIT: The idea of new functionality appeals though and that's where I'm likely to head next. Might be that the present gear stays (no reason to change any of it unless the amp packs up) and I get that Western Digital unit.

Certainly, the speakers I'm loathe to part with right now - for the £80 they cost me, I'd need to spend ten times that, but for what gain? And even then, it might be more to better them. I'm thinking along the lines of Monitor Audio's GS20, Revolver's Music 5 or NOS RW45s which can be found still. That's the kind of standard I think I'd be looking at, but that's not loose change.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
Morning RS.

I've never heard your or any Sansui amp so not sure what to relate it too, all i know is Sansui gear is highly engineered Japanese audio equipment.

So what sound are you after? Every system is different, your happy with your sound but do you want to change it for something different?

Your playing records as well, do you want to build a system around them. Having speakers and an amplifier that can work outside 20hz to 20khz so you can feel feel those lower frequencies and pick up the nuances of sound recordings that occur on older recordings?

Are tubes an option and would they work with your musical taste? You can also alter the sound by replacing tubes (when they need to be) with different makes and models instead changing the unit, is that something that would interest you? You need to factor in new tubes if you go down this route.

The Sansui has some watts behind it, do you need these? Would you be happy with Class A power which generally is low similar to tubes which in turn would be better using a more sensitive speaker or horn to get greater volume or A/b which would give you more watts than you would ever need. Also Class D amplification which is quieter, cooler and more environmentally friendly.

Greta times can be had upgrading, go out and enjoy!

matthewpiano

This is a difficult one RS, because you seem so satisfied.

I think the speakers would be the first area to investigate. The Mission 75 range is brilliant but I'm quite sure your Sansui could cope with something even better. Does it have to be floorstanders or is there a possibility you would like a good standmount?

I think changing the amp would be difficult. You've already tried some fairly expensive amps and still stuck with the Sansui after all, although a Sugden A21 would I am sure be a significant step up...

T

the record spot

Morning chaps - yep it's a tricky one alright Matthew and it's because I am satisfied! I think the amp might potter along for a while, but it does need a bit of TLC every year I suspect. There's the odd crackle on power up which does go admittedly (maybe lasts a few seconds, but it's a minor niggle, otherwise it'll play all day long without a hitch and would be a minor fix I think).

Something even better than the 752 might be the 753 and there's a few of those around at £250 or so, but that's just more driver for the kids to accidentally jab and they're not replaceable (the drivers I mean as Mission don't have replacement parts) (granted, the kids are pretty unique as well).

So the speakers would likely be something like the last ones I mentioned (Revolver Music 5 / RW45 or MA GS20) so a clear step up at any rate. Amp-wise, maybe a beefy power amp.

The "kind of sound" shooter refers to is the "big" (not bassy or overamplified) soundstage I have right now. When I had the earlier amps, it was as if I had all the bits of the jigsaw but not the whole picture. Adding the 717 seemed to breathe life into the whole thing and the only amps that I think have come remotely close have been £1k+ designs - so the HK990, the Leema Pulse (the Mk3 design leaves me colder than a weekend in a freezer however) and the like. In other words, it might be the only amp that I could get to replace it would be a fully fettled and ready to go Sansui of a similar generation!

EDIT: Actually, the only other thing I'd go for at the drop of a hat would be some McIntosh gear - stunning equipment for the money. It's just the amount of money that's the problem there. Makes £1500 speakers or amps look cheap!

T

the record spot

LOL, yes I think I have. So...

McIntosh
Revolver
and maybe Marantz KI Pearls....better hope the profits are good for the next couple of years then...!

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
Maybe yes if you want new but if you go pre owned then the prices come down considerably.

There is a nice McIntosh cd/sacd on e-bay at the moment.

Why not go for you dream system?

T

the record spot

Cost for one thing, though I will be interested to see what that goes for. I will be amazed if it's less than £1000. That kind of spending needs a bit of planning I think, so we won't be piling onto the credit card (tend to avoid that wherever possible). That's been hit by various car/house stuff recently anyway!

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
I totally agree, building a system like that will take time, probably years to be honest, it did me. Personally i would only us a credit card if i new i could pay it off before any charges and interest go on, so yes being wise and savvy will do you well.
emotion-21.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts