So, in a demo what to listen for.....

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
So what do you listen for in a demo - covering the 3 peices required to make a system. Source, amplification, speakers.

Now most demo rooms are hard walled most likely with hard floors ( with a rug ) pretty reflective may make a system sound louder, brighter and if cranked up while you may not hear the bass you'll feel it which skews your perception. So please for those entering the wonderfull world of hi fi what would you suggest potential customers should listen for?

Source.
I'd suggest you listen for seperation - regardless of amp/speaker combo. Soundstage and depth is dependent on speaker position, but space around the individual parts of your music and left and right seperation is a good sign.

Amp.
control at various levels - if the seller kranks it up request they try it at a low level and listen to detail also listen to the point of distortion when the amp loses its composure and ability to control the speakers. note at what point this occurs on the volume dial as an indication of how well the amp is attinuated. Its also a useful measure of how much 'useful' volume the amp has.

Speakers.
These are critical as they respond directly to their enviroment - but again seperation and clarity are important.
Bass control is also important - the bassiest speakers may not suit your room - listen to the quality of the bass - can you difine between the lower notes in the music i.e foot drum, bass guitar, bongo drums.
also take note of the vocals how centred is it between the speakers and how far ahead of them is it projected.

Well those are my suggestions.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
That'll be in my next thread next week 'which tracks to bring' along to a demo - i.e Toni Braxtons 'Secrets' if you wanna hear the spit in an artists mouth.......

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I have found that bass and treble to be the problem areas, so I tend to test out those with a variety of music, make sure the speakers can handle the sort of bass you play. I remember testing some Wharfedales years ago and they were great with vocals, in fact probably the best I had heard but put some bass like Little Feat and the woofers turned to jelly and that was only at low volume. Also tweeters can annoy after a while, esp. on music like jazz, cyblems can get on your nerves with some speakers. Volume I have always controlled, in fact the salesmen are rarely in the room, which I prefer. Of course lots of other factors, clarify, soundstage, how they sound, warm, cold, thin etc. overall balance. Try at different volumes as well as some sytem may not sound so good at lower volume or higher volume.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
If a system sounds "right", analysis becomes superfluous, and the music just takes over. It doesn't happen that often, but when it does, you'll know it.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
If a system sounds "right", analysis becomes superfluous, and the music just takes over. It doesn't happen that often, but when it does, you'll know it.

Strangely I'm of the opposite way of thinking - the better a track sounds on my sytem the more I analyse it - especially the imaging and the 'tricks' I love details.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
CnoEvil said:

Strangely I'm of the opposite way of thinking - the better a track sounds on my sytem the more I analyse it - especially the imaging and the 'tricks' I love details.

I don't analyze a live concert, so the nearer a system gets to this, the less I find myself diagnosing it....but it's very personal.

cse

Mar 3, 2008
Visit site
Price is the most important thing to listen out for. Sometimes it is said very quietly and implied that it is not reallly of any significant importance.

T

the record spot

Seeing as my last few amps and sources I've bought blind, the only things I've demo'd recently have been speakers. Bought my Tannoys at a demo, took along three or four tracks that I knew very well and that was it. Made the rigth choice of the ones I went with at the time. I may look to upgrade them in the next year or two, but for now, the Onkyo 818 / Tannoy combination works a treat.

matthewpiano

CnoEvil said:

Couldn't agree more. I'm struggling to analyse the sound of my system since I bought the Dali Zensor 3s because every time I put some music on I just enjoy the whole experience. Tells me everything I need to know and any thoughts of upgrading in anything like the near future are banished.

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:

This is dangerous & subversive - it makes you sound like one of them weird music lovers. You must rid yourself of such ideas forthwith! I'm hoping this isn't contagious

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
CnoEvil said:

Couldn't agree more. I'm struggling to analyse the sound of my system since I bought the Dali Zensor 3s because every time I put some music on I just enjoy the whole experience. Tells me everything I need to know and any thoughts of upgrading in anything like the near future are banished.

I heard it for the first time years ago with Rega Planar 3 + A&R A60 + Goodmans Maxim.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
busb said:
CnoEvil said:

This is dangerous & subversive - it makes you sound like one of them weird music lovers. You must rid yourself of such ideas forthwith! I'm hoping this isn't contagious

I mostly talk b*ll*x, so it's nothing to worry about. :help:

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
busb said:
CnoEvil said:

I mostly talk b*ll*x, so it's nothing to worry about. :help:

You are in good company (as am I) :bounce:

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
CnoEvil said:

Absolutely! I just listen to the music and see if sounds the way it should!

Chris

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
CnoEvil said:

Yes I agree, a lot of systems I heard I was listening to the system, always something was getting in the way, right system and you just hear the music.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
tonky said:
Hi - same here Cno rega planar 2 A and R A60 and monitor audio speakers. Heaven!!

After that, I had Celestion SL6 followed by MA R852 MDs on the end of a Linn/Naim system......same thing, only a lot better.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts