So impressed with B&W MM-1s that....

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
....I think I am going to stick my CD player on e-bay to buy a pair.

Spent a very pleasant hour in my local Audio-T this afternoon sat behind their desk listening to stuff from my iPhone (and from their iTunes) through the B&W MM-1 PC speakers.

These will be ideal for the sort of listening I do a lot of the time (working from home sat at a desk). At anything up to about 3 feet they have reasonable bass and - unlike on the desk in the shop - in my set-up they will have a wall about 10 inches behind them for a little more re-inforcement.

The treble and mid were most impressive, very clear and open. Importantly, they sounded great with spoken voice (I played clips from recent BBC dramatisations of John le Carre's work.)

I played music across the spectrum of stuff I like from the Kinks and Small faces, Moby, Shamen, Benny Goodman, Sinatra, Buddy Rich, Tom Tom club, George Thoroughgood & the Destroyers... etc. There wasn't anything seriously lacking throughout the whole session. Even the bass line from 'Cardin Blue' on 'Very Live at Buddy's place' came through clearly without faff or fuddle. (I have heard some big speakers come apart on that one.)

Again, unlike on the shop's desk, in my set-up at home they will be higher up which will be even better for imaging (which the MM-1s do extremely well).

So the CD player's days are numbered and I will get some MM-1s and another pair of Grado SR60i headphones* for those times when the missus is in the room as well (watching/listening to her stuff through headphones on the other computer).

*Along with built in DAC the MM-1s have a headphone amp built in too.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
shooter69:Great stuff, my arms being twisted!

Did you listen to them with headphones?

No, I forgot to pack the SR60s before I went out this morning. But I am sure they'll be fine. Currently the wife uses them and I use an old pair of HD-595s plugged into either the Beresford or the computer. My biggest concern about headphones is comfort rather than out-and-out sound quality which is why I will probably get another pair of Grados for myself and pack the 595s away in the cupboard as 'spare'.

B&W concurrently launched a pair of £250 headphones of their own for use with the MM-1s (and Zeppelins) so I assume the built in headphone amp is capable enough.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
I'll be surprised if B&W skimped on the DAC in the headphone output but i'll sit tight for now and wait for some feedback as this will be my main listening with the MM1's.

Cheers chebby

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
shooter69:I'll be surprised if B&W skimped on the DAC in the headphone output but i'll sit tight for now and wait for some feedback as this will be my main listening with the MM1's.

Cheers chebby

You can go to B&W's website and click through to the Apple UK shop where you will see 14 user feedback 'reviews'. 12 people gave it 5/5 and one guy 4/5 and another gave them 3/5 because they weren't made by Bose!

There is the WHF review of course.

(With recent feedback from a buyer.)

And there is another (5 page) review online that I can't link here due to forum rules but I am sure you can find it if I could.

A

Anonymous

I am very interested in these speakers too so i look forward to a review on how good the headphone amp in them are :)

I may just pop down to my local dealer next week and have a listen for myself.

A

Anonymous

Mate,

Please can you help? I'm racking my brains but cant see anywhere to start a new thread...I must be VERY thick but can you help...Direct me please? Would really appreciate it

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
joestone:
I may just pop down to my local dealer next week and have a listen for myself.

I wish i could! My local Apple store have had my details regarding these for yonks, waiting on their call.

Chebby.

Thanks ,i'll have a gander at those.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I've been using a set on my workstation in store for the past few weeks - they sound pretty good. No nasties, just a decent sound that sounds more like a pair of (admittedly, small) pair of speakers rather than a tiny pair of PC speakers.

A

Anonymous

There must be a problem somehow as there isn't any sub forums category under forums?? on the page i'm looking at. I do really apologose for this but am about to spend about £1600 on a couple of subs & need some input thats why im paniking as no support avail...Once again I do apologise guys.. :O(

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
shooter69:I wish i could! My local Apple store have had my details regarding these for yonks, waiting on their call.

Chebby.

They have been on sale from the online Apple store since at least as far back as March 1st judging from the feedback.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
chebby:
shooter69:I wish i could! My local Apple store have had my details regarding these for yonks, waiting on their call.

Chebby.

They have been on sale from the online Apple store since at least as far back as March 1st judging from the feedback.

Unfortunately for me my local Apple store isn't an Apple store!

Its Square Group which is an official Apple outlet. I was in their a few weeks ago and they had never heard of the MM1 until i walked in. The kind shop assistant did bring it up on screen and take my details for when it comes in. Maybe i'll pop in today and jog a few memories.
Headphones at the ready!

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
call me mr chips:There must be a problem somehow as there isn't any sub forums category under forums?? on the page i'm looking at. I do really apologose for this but am about to spend about £1600 on a couple of subs & need some input thats why im paniking as no support avail...Once again I do apologise guys.. :O(

Ok, I take it you want your new thread to be in the 'hi fi' section, right?

Click on 'Forums', then,

Click on 'Hi Fi', then,

Look just above the first thread, 'Vinyl and turntables' I think, and you'll see the 'Start new topic' box, in red. Viola! Post away, young man.

A

Anonymous

What happened to the Harbeth audition you booked? Is that plan out the window? I was looking forward to the outcome of that one!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
igglebert:What happened to the Harbeth audition you booked? Is that plan out the window? I was looking forward to the outcome of that one!

Big expenditures on things like a daughter's 18th and my wife's car being totalled by some idiot (on a phone) at 60mph a couple of months ago. (Luckily no-one hurt.) It did not seem appropriate to go to London to demo a pair of £1400 speakers.

I am going to need a few months to recover financially. The MM-1s (and headphones) will be possible because I will sell a part of my system I no longer use.

The long term plan is still the same. (A purely radio/computer sourced system).

A

Anonymous

No, I haven't seen this month's arsenal of hifi mags yet. Thanks for the steer, I'll have to grab a copy later on.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts