Smoother sounding speakers

roym90

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Hello all,

I currently have a pair of Monitor Audio RS5s which I've found too bright before and had considered changing my amp. (Cambridge 550A) but never really got round to properly looking for an upgrade.

Now I've been considering a change of speakers; after reading a few reviews it sounds like Dynaudio DM2/7s might be what I'm looking for. Does anyone have any other ideas to consider?

Something good at higher volumes would help too, sometimes everything seems to start to sound a bit muddled with the RS5s.

Thanks for your help.

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
hi mate i had much the same problem with my monitor audio rs1, good speakers but not a good match for my system so after a lot of auditioning i went for bw excellent cm1. they are tiny standmounts but sound huge with oodles of bass and detail but smoother than silk and have tottaly transformed my system, give em a try

batonwielder

May 13, 2008
Visit site
Perhaps you can tell us your music preference and room size?

You are not happy with brightness AND level of detail of the Monitor Audio speakers you have, I assume.

I think Dynaudio is definitely a way to go. They are really smooth and will play loud without sounding harsh. Wharfedale is amazing without breaking the bank.

Keep the amplifier. One of the best deals out there.

pantonius

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
I've just upgrade my old Mordaunt Short Avant 902i witch was very bright with my Cambridge Audio 640C/A sistem.

Now it is much better with my new Monitor Audio Bx2.

I could just say that they sounds smoother.

*Cambridge Audio 640C => *Cambridge Audio 640A V2 => *Monitor Audio Bx2

*Chord CrimsonPlus *Chord Carnival Silverscreen *Soundstyle Z2

roym90

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the replies,

Room is around 5mx4m, music is from acoustic guitar vocal stuff to oasis/noel gallagher to electonic/hiphop.

The RS5s do sound very good if its a guitar with vocals but then playing some oasis tracks, which seem to be particularly bright, and I have to bring the volume down a bit.

And yes I think keeping the amp rather than the speakers would be a better idea. Keeping the speakers seems to limit the options of a new amp more.

A

Anonymous

Your amp is ok but it'll not get the best out of those speakers

They all ideally need a solid amp behind them to get them to be at their best... Personally I'd look at changing that first and then maybe the speakers

roym90

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Hi Naf_fanatic,

I'd been thinking of eventually upgrading something like the Rotel RA1520 or Rega Brio R after getting speakers. Do you think an amp upgrade first could improve the RS5s enough?

A

Anonymous

The problem with Cambridge Audio products I've always found is that they are forward sounding and can be harsh at times with the treble.

The Monitor RS5's you've got are good but they also can be bright so both arent a good mix

The amp isnt poor but it's not as good as you can do for a sensible budget and yes; the Brio R would be a great step up as it's more neutral and balanaced but not the last word in bass; for rock/metal that's kind of spot on I think.

The RS5's work very well with more smoother/warmer amps so something like Arcam or NAD would be a better fit as would Musical Fidelty I think; Cyrus, Cambridge and Audiolab, even Roksan wouldnt be the best match but some people like them together so it is each to their own

I had some RS6's years ago; tried them with the Cambridge 840 and didnt like it at all; too bright full stop. Then tried a Roksan Kandy and it sounded much better but still a little brittle. Then tried them with an Arcam Alpha 9 and they sounded so much better and not as bright/forward at all. Then upgraded to the Arcam Alpha 10 and had it since although many different pairs of speakers

I've since had the Monitor Audio RX1's and B&W CM5's with the likes of a NAD C352 (superb amp but fairly bass weighty); a Cyrus 8VS2 (fantastic and very detailed but too detailed at times) and the Arcam Alpha 10 which is the best of both worlds I think

2nd hand you'll get a lot more for your money but sometime buying new is great as you can demo a lot more and sometimes you're lucky enough to find ex-demo separates or even get a good % off etc...

roym90

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the reply,

This is my first set up and knowing what I know now I wouldn't have bought the Cambridge to go with the RS5s.

Back when I was looking at upgrading the amp, an Arcam A18 seemed to be the best idea, or a second hand Arcam. But perhaps the Rega would be a bit more flexible if I still changed the speakers after.

A

Anonymous

I've heard the Arcam A18 and it's ok; the Rega Brio R is much better

A 2nd hand Arcam A85 would be a very good amp to consider as would an Alpha 10 like mine. Both of these would control the RS5's much better and tame the bright treble

roym90

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Amp first is making more sense again now. Any speakers I upgrade to are going to deserve a better amp, so all this will end up costing twice as much!

A

Anonymous

Not necessarily; you'll be surprised at how good the RS5's can sound with a good amp behind them!

For me its your current amp that's letting the system down

A

Anonymous

I think a musical fidelity xa1/xa2 would work well with your ma rs5's, i used a mf xa1 with rs1 speakers and a arcam cd72 cdp, it worked well, you need to find a smooth, rich amp to tame the brightness, i would also look for a arcam alpha 8/9, i had the alpha 8r, superb amp.

roym90

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Would a Creek Evolution be another typical good match for the RS5s? I've found one available for £299 and have seen it likened to the Arcam sound.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts