SME tonearm

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi everyone,
I've just bought myself a mint-condition 1979 JVC turntable (Quartz Lock, Wooden Plinth, Direct Drive beast) but it doesn't have an arm or cartridge. It has the provision for an SME tonearm, but I'm unfamiliar with fitting tonearms...is the SME 3009 Series II "improved" a good tonearm and is it easy to fit for a novice like myself? Also, I'm thinking of the Grado Prestige Gold MM as a cartridge, is this good and will it fit on the SME arm?

Cheers!

A

Anonymous

matthewpiano:Which model JVC? Some of their turntables are beautiful things.

100% agree! It's the QL70.

matthewpiano

There is one on Ebay at the moment for about £230 exactly the same as you mention - QL70, no arm or cartridge but cut for SME. Bet that will sound fantastic. No experience, but I can't see the SME arm being that difficult to fit. Let us know how you get on and how it sounds!

A

Anonymous

matthewpiano:There is one on Ebay at the moment for about £230 exactly the same as you mention - QL70, no arm or cartridge but cut for SME. Bet that will sound fantastic. No experience, but I can't see the SME arm being that difficult to fit. Let us know how you get on and how it sounds!

Ha! Absolutly identical to mine...spitting image! Got mine for free though from my uncle - He also gave me a pair of JBL L100Ts and about 1,000 records!!! The beasty JBLs are utterly huge and I can't wait to receive them!!!

Here's a piccy of the JBLs (not mine, off t'internet!)
061007t003.jpg

Here's the JVC:
2022_pict_big_jvc_ql70_b.jpg

Many thanks for the manual too!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
You might also like to consider looking out for Jelco arms. (ebay, available from many Japanese suppliers)

They are superb arms and most likely the original JVC supplied arm would have been a Jelco.

http://www.jelco-ichikawa.co.jp/e_tone_arm.htm

You would be suprised at how many classic 'British' arms were sourced from Jelco.

(And how many Goldring carts are made by Nagaoka but that is another story!)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts