Smart Phone reviews

Garth Man

Dec 1, 2008
Visit site
Come on guys, 4 star for the HTC desire?? that's ridiculous

The phone has pretty much been hailed as the best smart phone in the world at present by other top reviewers, and yes that includes the iphone 4 and Samsung Galaxy

And the review for the phone itself was pretty poor, if giving a review on a smart phone which is bundled with features etc. A few paragraphs will not be enough info and evidence on the overall review

Other sites review Smart phones properly, maybe What HIFI should follow suit, or not bother at all......
emotion-4.gif

Stick to what one knows best....
emotion-13.gif

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
...And the point is that we review such devices with more of an eye (and an ear) to the way they handle video and audio, as that's what we feel will interest our readers most.

Garth Man

Dec 1, 2008
Visit site
well I have both

I Phone 4 is our work phones now (got rid of Blackberrys)

And the Desire is my personal phone

Now I think that the Iphone has better qualities over the HTC, but then the HTC has better qualities than the I phone

I can see why people would prefer the Iphone over the HTC

But considering the 2.2 Android system works like a dream, Better flash support, and it can multi task for god sake!!!!

The apple wont be able to do this until the next OS upgrade

Sorry it may or may not be better than the I phone, but the Desire deserved the 5 stars

Garth Man

Dec 1, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:...And the point is that we review such devices with more of an eye (and an ear) to the way they handle video and audio, as that's what we feel will interest our readers most.

True Andrew, but these Smart phones do a lot more than just that......surley peoples intrest in these phones should be more than just audio and video?

Plus the Audio on the desire is not as poor as your guys say. Not as good as the I phone, but still blimey good for a smartphone. And as the desire handles 10.1 flash the video qulaity is pretty dam good in my eye, and I'm not easily pleases as some would say
emotion-4.gif

John Duncan

Garth Man:but these Smart phones do a lot more than just that......surley peoples intrest in these phones should be more than just audio and video?

Maybe that's why Stuff gave it five stars.

IMO video was better on the iPod, audio was about the same (though the Spotify app on android is Not Good), and the phone-ness and general interface of it was rubbish (which button do I press? which button do I press?).

Which makes it four stars ("the right choice for some", in the new rating system, btw) if you ask me. Speaking as a consumer only...

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Garth Man:
Andrew Everard:...And the point is that we review such devices with more of an eye (and an ear) to the way they handle video and audio, as that's what we feel will interest our readers most.

True Andrew, but these Smart phones do a lot more than just that......surley peoples intrest in these phones should be more than just audio and video?

And if they do have more interest than that then they should read a review in a phone magazine, not a Hi-Fi one.

Personally I'm not convinced WHF should be reviewing phones at all, but if they're going to then I'd agree their emphasis should be on the audio/visual aspects of the devices.

Have to admit I was a little narked at the 4 stars, being a Desire owner myself but it seems to me that the Galaxy got the 5 stars mainly for its screen and also for the flac support (which is something that annoys me about the Desire, apparently Gingerbread might be providing native flac support), which seems fair enough on reflection.

A

Anonymous

Well, I'm very happy about the roundup and I think it was fair.

A gripe I have with the Galaxy S is the fact that out of the box there is much room for improvement by simply tweaking some settings. It's possible to get a great improvement on the stability and speed of the GPS simply by changing a setting that's published all over the internet. It's silly that stuff like that slipped past Samsung and consumers have to wait months for Android 2.2 for an official fix.

I compared the Galaxy S to the iPhone 4 and Desire and chose it over those despite these niggles. I feel the iPhone 4 is very close and in some respects has the edge over the Galaxy S, but then it's price puts it out of competition imo.

To conclude, job well done and hope to never see statements like "the iPhone 4 is a huge leap ahead of the competition" (remember that?) before an actual review of competitors again.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts