Smallest phono stage?

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Does anyone know if there is a smaller phono stage than the Musical Fidelity V-LPS - 170x100x40mm. This could just about fit on top of my CD player but would be tight against the rack above it.

Also do you know if phono stages need to be in space because of heat issues?

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
chebby:Yes my Rega Fono-Mini. The box is (about) 100mm x 115mm x 27mm Rega say it is based on the phono stage from their Mira amplifier. It costs £55.http://www.rega.co.uk/html/Fono%20mini.htmThere is no heat issue. It never even gets warm.

That's interesting. Does it need to be switched on and off each time you use it or does it spark up when the main amp is turned on?

ÿ

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Phone your Arcam dealer and find out how much the A85 phono stage is - think it was about 70-80 quid.

May well do that but it's going to be a hassle unplugging, shipping and getting back. Not sure I can do 2 weeks without my amp. I also know they'll persuade me to have a service while they're doing it! I also don't think they make phono stages any more.

ÿ

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
the_lhc:The Project Phono USB stage is 38 x 103 x 115, very useful for ripping to PC!

Would that work on a hifi as a phono amp? I have no interest in ripping to PC at all. As Ashkey James mentioned I'd rather pass razor blades than do that.

ÿ

John Duncan

JoelSim:
JohnDuncan:Phone your Arcam dealer and find out how much the A85 phono stage is - think it was about 70-80 quid.

May well do that but it's going to be a hassle unplugging, shipping and getting back. Not sure I can do 2 weeks without my amp. I also know they'll persuade me to have a service while they're doing it! I also don't think they make phono stages any more.

Almost 100% certain that you can get one, and if your A85 is out of warranty, it's a job you can do yourself.

DistortedVision

Feb 18, 2008
Visit site
I fitted the phono stage board in my A85 when I had it a few years ago. Very easy and will take you 10 minutes.

I have an alternative suggestion if you wish to get an outboard phonostage. I have my Trichord Dino, Dino+ and Michell HR PSU for my Michell Gyro SE on a lovely slab of granite which I bought from a local marble / granite merchant for £15. I put nice chrome cones on it and it sits on the floor.

You could do the same and get any phonostage you like.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I don't have the space. The rack is in an alcove so there isn't room for anything behind, in front, left or right. It would need to sit on top of my CD player, although it will be hidden from view. Or it would have to sit on the same shelf as the TT but that would be very very tight as the shelf is 440mm square, perhaps would have to sit under the tonearm if the worst comes to the worst,

ÿ

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
JoelSim:
the_lhc:The Project Phono USB stage is 38 x 103 x 115, very useful for ripping to PC!

Would that work on a hifi as a phono amp?

Depends what you mean, does it work as a "normal" phono amp? Yes, the USB port is additional to the normal RCA phono sockets. If you mean is it good enough for "hi-fi" I couldn't possibly comment, I bought it solely for ripping to the PC! The "standard" Project phono stage gets reasonable reviews for the money (I paid about 75 quid for the USB version incidentally), but I daresay it won't be as good a performer as more expensive stages, but that kind of goes without saying really.

I have no interest in ripping to PC at all. As Ashkey James mentioned I'd rather pass razor blades than do that.

I bought it solely for making all my old PWEI 12" b-sides available to my Sonos, a lot of them were never made available on CD. It's doing a pretty good job for me, I'm using it with my old Pro-ject Debut II.

TRENDING THREADS