Small flat - micro or separates?

William Boyd

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
I'm living in a small flat in central London and am looking to buy a system to suit. I'm tossing up whether to get a micro system (Onkyo CS-515DAB) or separates (Marantz PM6002 CD 6002; NAD C315BEE C515BEE - unsure about speakers, possibly B&W 685 though more than I want to spend at the moment). I've got a NAD system already but can't face the hassle of shipping it to the UK - for the time being I'm looking to make things a bit more liveable in the flat. I don't need a whole lot of volume. The questions: 1. how do people find the NAD combo versus the Marantz combo? I've got a NAD C340 and C540 (and a pair of really old Teac 3 way speakers from the 70s which were banged up but sounded pretty good) which I like - In the main I listen to rock, soul, blues, country and liked the warmth and detail of my NAD components. Reason for the question is that the discounts on the Marantz gear are very tempting and I'm a bit averse to buy new NAD gear which may be lower spec than what I've already got (though appreciate the newer gear may have better specs and sound better than what I've got- happy to be told this if it's the case); 2. am I likely to find the Onkyo system lacking (compared to the separates) if I live with it for a reasonable amount of time (it will probably be another 3 to 4 years before I'll be looking to upgrade). 3. which speakers have people found good with the NAD/Marantz combos - I prefer warmth over bright. 4. I'll probably have to mount the speakers on brackets on either side of the chimney breast (distance of about 10 feet) - floorspace is at a premium and floorstands take up too much space. Walls are brick and plaster and it's rented accomodation but I'm prepared to take a chance on installing them provided there doesn't turn out to be a high degree of risk that the plaster facade will sheer off the brickwork. Have people had reasonable (sonic) results mounting speakers on brackets on brick walls? Any suggestions for brackets welcomed. 5. I'm living above a restaurant which creates a lot of noise in the mains - fairly often I get a noticeable amount of noise through my valve guitar amp (previously quiet at the old flat) - am I likely to need a filter/conditioner to use the components. If so - how much will I need to spend to get something that will take the hum out of the mains power. I'm intending to test the gear on the weekend - any suggestions steering me in the right direction will be appreciated. William

A

Anonymous

Go for separates, no question. I'd get myself down to Superfi and demo the Marantz combo. They'll be able to provide some options for speakers. B&W 685 maybe, although myself and others on this forum have found these speakers to be a bit dull. They may still have some stock of the outgoing Epos M5 model (rather than the M5i), which is a cracking speaker for the £250 they're charging for it (discounted by £100). Wouldn't describe it as warm though, to be honest. Not sure about the prospects / wisdom of wall mounting either of these speakers either. Oh, maybe this isn't such a good suggestion after all...

Nah, sod it, you'll probably be moving out and getting a bigger place soon anyway right? Sure you couldn't squeeze in any stands? Really?

T

the record spot

Separates; we lived in a - what are called - colony flat in Edinburgh which had a tiny living room; still managed to get in a full hifi and Mission floorstanders. Maybe one day I'll downsize - and a Linn Music Classik or similar, wold be the kind of standard I'd want - but that day is a long way off yet!

William Boyd

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
Thanks, the more I think about it the more I look like spending - the next guitar amp might have to wait. The NAD Epos combo at Superfi looks the goods.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Separates all the way.

Get a Tacima CS929 for about £30 to clean your mains.

Also I have just installed these which seem decent and don't screw into the speaker. (Obviously would prefer not to wall mount but these are in the kitchen which doesn;t have room for anything else.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330223553961&ssPageName=MERC_VIC_ReBay_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT&refitem=250210449494&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=closed_view_item&usedrule1=CategoryProximity&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget&_trksid=p284.m183&_trkparms=its%3DS%252BI%252BSS

A

Anonymous

[quote user="JoelSim"]Get a Tacima CS929 for about £30 to clean your mains.
[/quote]Do these actually work?

When i was at Linn i got told that many mains blocks/conditioners etc can just kill the sound, although i have heard the difference that plugging straight into the wall rather than through a standard cheap multisocket can make. Didn't work at home though!

William Boyd

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
Thanks - the brackets look the goods. I've got the Tacima powerboard already - it doesn't make an appreciable difference to the noise I get through my valve guitar amp; can't say whether it would work for hifi equipment which is inherently less noisy than hi gain guitar amps.

A

Anonymous

Well nad is warm and marantz is bright. Both superb kits. The Epos mate well with the NADs too and for that price buy those M5s!!!! I've got a small apartment myself, no matter how small you still deserve the gear. Besides, the better you buy now, the longer until you have to upgrade. Always buy with longevity in mind...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts