Slightly Wobbly Speaker Stands

sibelius7

May 3, 2009
Visit site
I'm currenlty using some Maplins' own speaker stands for my setup. I've filled them and certainly noticed a difference to the bass after doing so, but they are a tad on the wobbly side. Will this have a significant effect on the sound.

I've considered some Soundstyle Z2's but will the sound be £70 better than it is now?

Any advice would be great. Thanks

Mezzo 2 - Nad C320Bee - Denon transport - Beresford Dac

A

Anonymous

sibelius7:but they are a tad on the wobbly side. Will this have a significant effect on the sound.
Yes. A speaker cabinet should be kept as rigid as possible for the speaker to perform at its best, hence the use of spikes. The spikes can eliminate any wobble or movement of the cabinet.

If the cabinet is not rigid and there is movement, as the cone of the bass/mid driver "pushes" forwards, some of the energy will be lost into moving the speaker cabinet backwards.

Any advice would be great. Thanks
Try to adjust the spikes on the stands so that there is no wobble.

sibelius7

May 3, 2009
Visit site
It's more a problem with the stands being inherently unstable. The base is triangular in shape and the spikes are very wide. Maybe some welded on stabilizers would do the trick.

A

Anonymous

Sorry chebby, didn't mean to repeat what you'd already said.

sibelius7:It's more a problem with the stands being inherently unstable. The base is triangular in shape and the spikes are very wide. Maybe some welded on stabilizers would do the trick.
There are 3 spikes per base? 3 spikes are often used as there can't be any wobble, however, they will feel to be somewhat unstable and prone to topple over.
Rectangular bases with 4 spikes are more stable, but require the spikes to be more accurately adjusted to eliminate any wobble.

A

Anonymous

sibelius7:Surely instability/prone to toppling over with a sneeze are the same as wobble?

Hmmm, I'd say "wobble" & "instability" are different things.

Take a 3 legged stool and saw an inch off one leg, all 3 legs will still be in permanent contact with the surface it stands on and the stool will be free from wobble. Of course, when you sit on the stool, it will be unstable as its centre of gravity is now very high, much as when you place a heavy speaker onto the top of a 3 spiked speaker stand. Saw an inch off one of the legs of a 4 legged stool and it will be very wobbly!

Apply the same thinking to spikes on speaker stands, a triangulated, 3 spiked stand can't have any wobble as such, because all 3 spikes will ALWAYS be in contact with the floor, no matter if the spikes are not of equal length. Whilst a four spiked stand must have the spikes VERY accurately adjusted to remove any wobble, assuming that the stand is placed on a perfectly flat and hard surface.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts