SL-1210 set-up advice

Dan_RE

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
Hi all, newbie here.

Just wondering if I could get some advice on how to get the best out of my SL-1210 with what I have and what additions would be reccomended.

I currently have: 1 x Technics SL-1210, a pair of Alesis M1 Active MKII Studio Monitors and a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface.

It would be for home use so I am looking to get the best sound out of my records at a reasonable price and have been told that an integrated stereo amplifier would be the best way forward and a DJ mixer would not be suitable. I am also looking to get a hi-fi cartridge for my 1210 and have been told Ortofon 2M is a good cart.

Does anyone have any reccomendations for both an amplifier and cartridge? Looking at spending £300 tops for both.

Also is there any way of linking my audio interface to the 1210 and getting a good sound from it?

Cheers

Dan

Dan_RE said:
Hi all, newbie here.

Just wondering if I could get some advice on how to get the best out of my SL-1210 with what I have and what additions would be reccomended.

I currently have: 1 x Technics SL-1210, a pair of Alesis M1 Active MKII Studio Monitors and a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface.

It would be for home use so I am looking to get the best sound out of my records at a reasonable price and have been told that an integrated stereo amplifier would be the best way forward and a DJ mixer would not be suitable. I am also looking to get a hi-fi cartridge for my 1210 and have been told Ortofon 2M is a good cart.

Does anyone have any reccomendations for both an amplifier and cartridge? Looking at spending £300 tops for both.

Also is there any way of linking my audio interface to the 1210 and getting a good sound from it?

Cheers

Dan

I could advise but not sure how you'd tie in your active monitors to a stereo amplifier.

Dan_RE

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
Sorry if I sound stupid but is that not possible? Do I need to get hi-fi speakers?

How else can I get my 1210 and monitors connected?

Cheers

Dan_RE said:
Sorry if I sound stupid but is that not possible? Do I need to get hi-fi speakers?

Cheers

I am not sure what connections you have on those monitors but you would need something to bring the small output voltage of the cartridge up to line level.

Dan_RE

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
Al ears said:
Dan_RE said:

Cheers

I am not sure what connections you have on those monitors but you would need something to bring the small output voltage of the cartridge up to line level.

Such as? They only have XLR inputs.

Dan_RE said:
Al ears said:
Dan_RE said:

Cheers

That's going to be your problem. These are not really designed to take a signal for a turntable.

You can either stick with what you have or sell it on for a passive speaker system with stereo integrated amp.

There are very few phono preamps that have balanced XLR outputs and those that do are not cheap.

Dan_RE

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
Al ears said:
Dan_RE said:
Al ears said:
Dan_RE said:

Cheers

That's going to be your problem. These are not really designed to take a signal for a turntable.

You can either stick with what you have or sell it on for a passive speaker system with stereo integrated amp.

There are very few phono preamps that have balanced XLR outputs and those that do are not cheap.

How much are we talking? Would a cheaper pre-amp without balanced outputs not work at all? Would I be better off getting a passive speaker system with amp?

Sorry about all the questions and thanks for the advice so far!

Dan_RE said:
Al ears said:
Dan_RE said:
Al ears said:
Dan_RE said:

Cheers

How much are we talking? Would a cheaper pre-amp without balanced outputs not work at all? Would I be better off getting a passive speaker system with amp?

Sorry about all the questions and thanks for the advice so far!

In the long run amp and passive speaker would be the way I'd go unless someone else can figure a way.

Cheap preamp would work I guess but you would need a pair of interconnect cables phono plugs to XLR plugs.

I,however, have no idea as to the quality of those monitors you have compared to a cheaper pair of passive standmounts. This could be crucial.

From what I can see they cost about £170 new, is this correct?

If you can find cables then something like the Rega MM mk2 phono preamp and a Shure M97XE cartridge would be good.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I thought your speakers had combi-jacks which take either an XLR or 1/4" jacks. But you can't just go rigging them up to the output of a phono pre-amp or they'll blow your wig off: they don't have volume controls. There are input-trimmers in the back, but I'm not sure they're designed to be used as volume controls. Your speakers are supposed to be plugged into a mixer. There are various mixers with dual inputs for turntables, feel free to google.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts