Sky Plus Signal Conundrum - help!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
In hope that WHFS&V refreshes the parts that other forums cannot reach…

I have a regular Sky+ box (so not HD) and my problem is this:

I only ever get a signal on one of the two inputs.

Signal strength and quality are good but only show for the first input.

If I swap the cables over on the back of the box – there is no change, still only the first input shows with good quality and strength.

Leaving one cable disconnected – I still receive the same results with either cable, on either input – thus I conclude that the cables themselves check out OK.

Thinking it must be the box itself (Amstrad) I have tried a friend’s box of the same make/model (known to be working fine on his dish) and get exactly the same results.

Other forums have suggested that the symptoms I see are due to a failing disk – so I have replaced the HDD and still I see the same problem.

A visual inspection of the LNB and dish indicate no obvious problems.

Can anybody shed any light on why I can only receive one signal.

Lest anyone wonders why this is a problem/irritation – I cannot record one channel while watching another.

A

Anonymous

Do both cables go to the LNB?

Assuming so (and they should) sounds like it may be a fault with the LNB

daveh75

rogueelement:In hope that WHFS&V refreshes the parts that other forums cannot reach.

I have a regular Sky+ box (so not HD) and my problem is this:

I only ever get a signal on one of the two inputs.

Signal strength and quality are good but only show for the first input.

If I swap the cables over on the back of the box - there is no change, still only the first input shows with good quality and strength.

Leaving one cable disconnected - I still receive the same results with either cable, on either input - thus I conclude that the cables themselves check out OK.

Thinking it must be the box itself (Amstrad) I have tried a friend's box of the same make/model (known to be working fine on his dish) and get exactly the same results.

Other forums have suggested that the symptoms I see are due to a failing disk - so I have replaced the HDD and still I see the same problem.

A visual inspection of the LNB and dish indicate no obvious problems.

Can anybody shed any light on why I can only receive one signal.

Lest anyone wonders why this is a problem/irritation - I cannot record one channel while watching another.

just to clarify things for my own mind, are you saying that......

1. with both cables connected you only get signal on input 1 and if you swap the cables you still only get signal on input one.

2. with either cable connected to either of the inputs you get signal on which ever input your connected to, so with a single cable connected to input 1 you get signal on input 1, and if you connect a cable to the input 2 you get signal on input 2.

3.Or do you never get a signal on input 2!

A

Anonymous

1. Correct !

2 & 3 - I never see a signal on input 2, even with a single cable connected to either input, the system reports a signal on input 1.

It seems to me that the reported signal inputs do not correlate directly to the physical connectors - so long as there is _a_ signal, it is reported as signal one.

A

Anonymous

@smee Yes, both cables go to the LNB (I can get a signal on either but not both). Visually the LNB and cable termination look fine.

I don't know why the LNB would become faulty but I suppose it is a relatively inexpensive component to swap out in an attempt to rectify the problem - cheaper than calling out a SKY engineer anyway.

daveh75

Does sound a bit odd this, but as you're getting same results on both your box and the borrowed box would seem to suggest either lnb or cable is at fault! FWIW lnb's going faulty is common.

A

Anonymous

'nuff said. I'll swap out the LNB for a new one and see if that resolves it.

Thanks for the input!

A

Anonymous

Unplug the mains from the back, give it 30 seconds & plug it back in.
This usually does the trick when you get a signal issue.

A

Anonymous

no offence mate but if you read my post you'll see that I was into some pretty serious actions in troubleshooting the problem - I didn't exactly swap the hard dive out in under 30 seconds!

A

Anonymous

rogueelement:no offence mate but if you read my post you'll see that I was into some pretty serious actions in troubleshooting the problem - I didn't exactly swap the hard dive out in under 30 seconds!

None taken but have you actually tried it? My HD box does this signal thing regular and that's what works for me. Only offering a bit of help as it worked for me in the past, thats all.

A

Anonymous

Yes, I did. I tried powering down for progressively longer periods of time, ultimately leaving it unplugged overnight - to no avail.

I've ordered a new LNB from satcure and will see if that sorts it.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Have You tried this? works for me when my HD box's fan gets noisy.ÿ

1.Turn the box off at the wall.

2.Leave it 30 seconds.

3.While holding down the 'back up' button on the box, turn the power back on.

4.Keep holding it down until all the lights on the front of the box illuminate.

ÿThe reset/update usually takes 5 minutes. Done job. It might not work for your problem, but it's worth a crack.ÿ

A

Anonymous

Yes I tried the obvious things.

It was necessary to perform an update after upgrading the HDD anyway.

Awaiting delivery of LNB from satcure....

A

Anonymous

I replaced the LNB and......it made no difference. I can still only get one signal (from either cable) on Input 1.

Next I ran entirely new cable from the other 2 connectors on the LNB and.......the same result.

Next I dug out the spare receiver and connected that up to the newly run cable and......the same result again.

I stripped all cables at both ends and refitted the f-connectors, I tried disconnecting the old cable and just using the new stuff first on LNB connectors 3&4 and then on 1&2 all to no avail.

Conclusions; either: a) I'm going mad or b) both receivers have the same fault

Any further thoughts, anyone?

Xanderzdad

Jun 25, 2008
Visit site
Now before I get shot down in flames - all the tricky things have been suggested so let's go for the obvious!

Are you still paying the extra £10 for the '+' part of your Sky + subscription. Without the magic £10 you cannot use Sky+ properly and therefore your account may have disabled the 2nd signal.

All I can think of - give Sky a ring - you'll only be on hold for about half an hour and I bet the 3rd person you speak to actually listens to your question and gives you an accurate answer (I swear they are trained to get you off the phone with whatever their script tells them).

Good luck.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts