Sky+ (Not HD) & Yamaha

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
SCART direct to the TV (set to RGB, 16:9 and SCART Control-On in the picture settings)

Optical to Yamaha (set to optical in the sound settings)

You didn't state what Yamaha you have but that should cover it. If your amp supports upconversion, you could connect via S-Video and upconvert to Component video or HDMI depending on the specs of the amp but I would connect direct which would give you the option of either using the TV speakers or the amp.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
d4v3pum4:
SCART direct to the TV (set to RGB, 16:9 and SCART Control-On in the picture settings)

You didn't state what Yamaha you have but that should cover it. If your amp supports upconversion, you could connect via S-Video and upconvert to Component video or HDMI depending on the specs of the amp but I would connect direct which would give you the option of either using the TV speakers or the amp.

The Yam is in his sig. Hdmi from screen to Yam and then S-video from Yam to Sky + box and the Yam will upscale the feed to 1080p. The optical from Sky + to Yam for audio.

Qwalme

Nov 18, 2007
Visit site
Gerrardasnails:d4v3pum4:

The Yam is in his sig. Hdmi from screen to Yam and then S-video from Yam to Sky + box and the Yam will upscale the feed to 1080p. The optical from Sky + to Yam for audio.

Will this make a big difference to the picture quality? I have the same amp and have it scart to tv atm.

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
I personally would connect directly as RGB is better quality than S-Video. Try it for yourself and see which you prefer. By connecting the video (plus audio) via SCART direct to the TV, you'll have the option of either amp or TV speakers.

It should be set to Dolby D in the sound settings.

A

Anonymous

d4v3pum4:

I personally would connect directly as RGB is better quality than S-Video.

This is definately the best way to go for picture quality. Your TV will upscale the RGB output from the Sky anyway, so there's no need to use the amp to precess the video signal as well. I use a decent quality scart lead to my TV and an optical cable to carry sound from the Sky box to my amp. This also means you can listen to the sound through your TV speakers for mundane stuff and just power up the amp when needed,

A

Anonymous

Dirk Gently:d4v3pum4:
I personally would connect directly as RGB is better quality than S-Video.ÿ

This is definately the best way to go for picture quality. Your TV will upscale the RGB outputÿfromÿthe Sky anyway, so there's no need toÿuse the amp to precess the video signal as well. I use a decent quality scart leadÿto my TVÿand an optical cable to carry sound from the Sky box to my amp. This also means youÿcan listen to the sound through your TV speakers for mundane stuff and just power up the amp when needed,ÿ

I don't think it's as clear cut as that. RGB SCART is a better quality connection than s-video but that's not the only consideration. The Yammy might do a better job of processing the signal than the TV. It's likely that the run from the Sky box to the amp is very short, but the run from the Sky box to the TV could be much longer. A short analogue run then a longer digital one could mean less image degradation than a single long analogue run. I wouldn't dismiss s-video quite so quickly.

A

Anonymous

Dirk Gently:d4v3pum4:
I personally would connect directly as RGB is better quality than S-Video.ÿ

This is definately the best way to go for picture quality. Your TV will upscale the RGB outputÿfromÿthe Sky anyway, so there's no need toÿuse the amp to precess the video signal as well. I use a decent quality scart leadÿto my TVÿand an optical cable to carry sound from the Sky box to my amp. This also means youÿcan listen to the sound through your TV speakers for mundane stuff and just power up the amp when needed,ÿ

I don't think it's as clear cut as that. RGB SCART is a better quality connection than s-video but that's not the only consideration. The Yammy might do a better job of processing the signal than the TV. It's likely that the run from the Sky box to the amp is very short, but the run from the Sky box to the TV could be much longer. A short analogue run then a longer digital one could mean less image degradation than a single long analogue run. I wouldn't dismiss s-video quite so quickly.

A

Anonymous

I had this same problem and was advised to use a QED QCV scart to component convertor. This allows me to feed my Onkyo 876 with a decent signal to start with and the results are pretty good. This is the box i purchased - QCV

Qwalme

Nov 18, 2007
Visit site
I alreadly got a good quality Scart from QED and cant justify buying a new lead just to compare but I'm happy with the picture atm.

Soundwise, I've only just got the Yam 863 set up so not had the opportunity to really play with the setting but the ones that were retained from the previous owner have the Sky input set the 'Straight' on the Yamaha processing - ie it goes straight through.

Beaver - on your better amp do you apply any field to the signal from your Sky?

A

Anonymous

Hi Qwalme,

When you say 'field' are you talking about the DSP modes? I don't bother with them and prefer to stick to 'Straight'. It's not that the DSP modes sound bad, in fact it's pretty impressive how they seem to change the size and shape of the room (even without the extra presence speakers). But I like the idea that I'm listening to what the director / artist intended (or as close as my system can get me). I use room EQ (still wavering between 'Flat' and 'Natural' but leaning towards 'Flat') but leave all of the other post-processing switched off.

PS. You want to set your Sky box's optical out to 'Dolby' if you haven't already. ÿ

A

Anonymous

Carl P:I had this same problem and was advised to use a QED QCV scart to component convertor. This allows me to feed my Onkyo 876 with a decent signal to start with and the results are pretty good. This is the box i purchased - QCV

The thing about convertors like that is that they can only ever degrade the signal. QED being QED though, this is probably one of the better boxes you could choose for this job (although I've haven't tried it myself). Did you ever try your 876 with s-video? HQV includes algorithmsÿfor cleaning up colour decoding and sync errors common to lower quality analogue video sgnals. At least one 876 owner on this forum has reported good results using s-video to the amp vs RGB SCART straight to a TV.ÿ

I don't know what video processor is in the 863 so I've no idea whether it has similar features. Certainly that kind of error correction isn't unique to HQV. ÿ

Qwalme

Nov 18, 2007
Visit site
I think I may be getting confused between fields and EQ's.

The Sky input shows straight but the PS3 (movie) input displays 'Sci-Fi'. I'm struggling because the previous owner misplaced the instruction book and I have to look at the online one. I have an 875 to switch in tomorrow to compare before choosing which to give to my brother and i want to be sure to get the best out of the 863 before making the decision.

A

Anonymous

The DSP modes are used simulate a particular listening environment, such as a concert hall, stadium or basement club or (even more dubiously in my opinion) to adjust levels to suit particular content. They can be fun but ultimately they're a gimmick. YPAO's Auto EQ adjusts the levels of different frequency bands to compensate for the acoustics of your room and the capabilities of your speakers. Your walls and furnishings will naturally absorb or reinforce different frequencies and almost all speakers respond differently at different frequencies. Auto EQ compensates for this so that what you wind up hearing is what's on the disc.

If it works the same way as the Z7, you can set the 863 to remember the last audio input and DSP mode for each source. If you keep pressing 'Movie' it'll cycle through a number of different movie modes. Press 'Straight' once on the remote and it should turn off DSP.

A

Anonymous

im sure i have the 863 manual as pdf if you want me to send it to you ?

Qwalme

Nov 18, 2007
Visit site
Thanks but I have the pdf already - I just prefer having the book in front of me to flick between pages etc - I find it easier to read.

The sound on Quantum of Solice was amazing with the 863 but I've hooked up the Onkyo 875 today to try that till the weekend.

cheers

A

Anonymous

The TV is about 3 meters away from the Yammy amp, so is it best to run RGB to tv or run S video and optical from Sky + to Amp which is 5 inches away ??

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts