Sky HD upscaling

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi

Im after some info regarding Sky HD upscaling. I have a Sony w2000, but Im not that impressed with the picture using my standard sky box.

Im looking to get the Sky HD box but I am not sure if it upscales. Would the sky HD box upscale non HD channels i.e. would I notice any difference watching MTV or ITV using my current sky box compared to watching it using the Sky HD box? Dependng on who I ask, I get a different response. The latest addition of what hi fi says it does, but if anyone can clarify, I would appreciate it.

thanks

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi there

Sky HD certainly does upscale SD content: we'd recommend setting it to output at 1080i with your set. In some cases - typically where the programme was shot in HD, but is being broadcast in SD - like 'Heroes' was on the Sci-fi Channel - you should see an improvement over standard Sky.

Sadly, even upscaling can't make some SD content look good on a Full HD display (like your Sony) - the original bitrate is simply too low. I find some programmes - especially re-runs on ITV's digital channels, or indeed away-leg Champion's League football on ITV - almost unwatchable, even via Sky HD.

The difference yesterday, for example, watching the F1 coverage on ITV then switching to Sky for the Community Shield football was immense. More HD content broadcasters, please!

A

Anonymous

Very interesting. I love the DVD upscaling on my second (bedroom) setup and am keen to include a wider range when I upgrade my main system soon, to include Sky HD. My player upscales, so I've been thinking of buying an AV amp that upscales all HDMI sources to 1080 (such as the Onkyo), so your point probably makes this pointless. Doubly. If the HD box I have coming will upscale regular Digital (ie so crappy I can't watch 'em on my plasma) and it doesn't really help, then there's no point in spending a grand on a new amp is there? Am I right?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
FWIW I reckon the Onkyo does a pretty good job with SD TV - at least within the limitations of the original signal. But have to admit Mrs E started watching Die Another Day on ITV last night - not sure why, as we have it on DVD - while I was answering stuff here, and within 20 mins had dug out the disc and was watching it via the Naim and Onkyo.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Andrew hits the nail on the head here - the source content is as much of an issue as the scaler, Even the best scalar in the world will struggle with a low-res original (think trying to fill a PC screen with a tiny digital photo), which sadly is what some digital channels pump out.

However, last night I was perfectly happy watching a programme originally shot in HD being shown on E4 (non HD) via Sky HD (and that's on an 80in projection screen). Switching to a native-HD show on Sky One HD was an improvement, mind you.

I think an amp like the Onkyo offers both performance and convenience, though. Yes, it probably won't go a huge amount for bad Freeview, but if you've got other sources - DVD player, games console, camcorder - you've got the chance to boost them AND cut down on the cabling to your screen.

A

Anonymous

I have a old 50 inch Pioneer plasma (505 XDE) and though not perfect I get a great picture from freeview since upgrading my aerial. at times the picture is glorious usually due to the quality of the original recording. shows like doctor who, lost and heroes shine compared to older recordings and it does depend on the channel (and a little on atmospherics). some problems with sports broadcasts but again variable. would upscaling improve a freeview picture and also would it improve the appearance of dvd from an arcam dv79 via HDMI?

clearly the quality of the source material is the most important factor (witness the disappoointment of watching the early star trek films on DVD - not exactly had the skywalker treatment) but to get the most out of the source are you saying the most effective (cost-benefit) way of doing this is with a sky HD box?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts