Sky HD sound quality is it HD sound ?

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Hya all

Have a decent budget surround system and the Dolby in HD is quite good. Thinking about upgrading my AV amp I wonder if it will be worth it? My main input is from the Sky box. Bluray are still too expensive ! So my question - How good IS Sky Doldy Digital sound ??

Learned from this forum that HD sound is only avalable thru the HDMI cable (thanks folks) but does anyone know if the Sky HD box outputs this HD sound format (or could do in the furure) ?

Cheers

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
Sky HD can output Dolby Digital 5.1, but it depends on the broadcast. It does not output the HD audio formats that you get on Blu-Ray. However, due to some trick of fate, the 5.1 cannot be carried from a Sky box via HDMI (it only carried standard stereo), so you need HDMI for the Sky HD picture and an Optical Cable for the 5.1 (or whatever) sound.

A

Anonymous

RobinKidderminster: Bluray are still too expensive !

Blu-ray (players and discs) are not THAT expensive at all nowadays (IMO). You can pick up a semi-decent player for about £150 and many discs are now under a tenner (many currently at £8.98 or 3 for 2, etc.). Renting is also a cheaper alternative in the longer run.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Many thanks for your feedback. Guess I'll stick to my old HD-DVD and Denon 1906. An upgrade to Yamy 863 would not be a massive benefit with Sky DD.

Thanks folks

RobinKidderminster

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts