Sky +HD compatable with hdmi???

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
hi, pretty new to all this stuff but really enjoying it. Just ordered sky +HD to work along side a 1080 plasma, blueray and home cinema system. On my present system, everything runs through amp (onkyo sr508) then a single lead to tv. will this be the case with sky (just a hdmi into the amp)? - i've heard that you need a optical something or other to get 5.1

also parents have same setup but with a soundbar through a sub/amp. what do they need

help!!!

A

Anonymous

hi dave

Just read this and now im suitably confussed, i have sky hd and have it connected to to my denon avr 2310 surround sound reciever, via a wireworld chroma 6 hdmi lead to the sat / cbl input on the reciever, are you saying that this does not give the best sound performance and it would be better to use an optical lead to connect the two to give dolby digital? the other problem i have is that the denon amp only seems to have an optical input for tv or dvr, so do i have to connect it via audio cables and the hdmi?

Cheers in advance

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
jonbates:
hi dave

Just read this and now im suitably confussed, i have sky hd and have it connected to to my denon avr 2310 surround sound reciever, via a wireworld chroma 6 hdmi lead to the sat / cbl input on the reciever, are you saying that this does not give the best sound performance and it would be better to use an optical lead to connect the two to give dolby digital? the other problem i have is that the denon amp only seems to have an optical input for tv or dvr, so do i have to connect it via audio cables and the hdmi?

Cheers in advance

Connect you sky HD to your tv with HDMI & connect a optical lead from your sky HD to the dvr input on your amp for sound.

A

Anonymous

Hi Simon

thanks for that, sorry to be pleb but are you saying use the HDM I 2 input on my sony tv while leaving the hdmi 1 input from the amp to the tv in place and then use the optical lead to connect the sky hd box to the dvr input on the amp? if so what source do i need to select to watch the tv?

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
jonbates:
Hi Simon

thanks for that, sorry to be pleb but are you saying use the HDM I 2 input on my sony tv while leaving the hdmi 1 input from the amp to the tv in place and then use the optical lead to connect the sky hd box to the dvr input on the amp? if so what source do i need to select to watch the tv?

Yes one HDMI from your amp to your tv & HDMI from your sky box to your tv, so your tv has two HDMI connections.

A

Anonymous

done that and i only get sound but no picture when i select the dvr stereo input on the amp! do i have to change the hdmi imput to HDMII 2 on the Tv?

A

Anonymous

Already have the answer, have switched the tv to hdmi 2 and now working, do you think this is the best sound that can be achieved or are there now further tweaks that can be made?

A

Anonymous

have just unplugged the hdmi lead from the hdmi input 1 on the tv and tv output on the amp and it has made no difference to the sound or picture!

A

Anonymous

Hi Dave

Can you give me any advise on this? is is what i have done the best possible connection for both sound and picture quality?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Yes: HDMI straight to TV, digital audio to receiver. The only reason for the HDMI from receiver to TV is if you have other sources being connected into the receiver via HDMI, such as a Blu-ray player, for example.

Oh, and you should have the Sky box digital audio output set to Dolby Digital, and then you should get surround sound through the receiver when surround is being broadcast.

A

Anonymous

Andrew

many thanks for coming in, all this is very confussing as im sure your aware from the editorials in your magazine, reading other threads people have said that using the av reciever is a better option for the picture as the upscaling is better from the amp rather than the cheap componants that the sky boxes use, i may be missing the whole trick here and appologise if im sounding like a numpty, your advise would be to use the hdmi from the sky box straight to the tv and themn use the optical output from the sky box to connect to the dvr on the amp, and as ive found out i dont need to use the amp to tv connection as a result, im presuming this gives me the optical 1080 picture quality? there is a problem though! i do have a sony blu ray dvd connected to the amp via hdmi, you suggested in your last reply that this may cause a problem, can you please elabourate,

Ps i also note the Sky box digital audio output needs to be set to Dolby Digital,, Cheers

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
No, I didn't say it would create a problem: you can connect both the Sky HD HDMI and the Blu-ray player HDMI to the receiver, and then the receiver HDMI out to the TV. You then use the receiver to switch between the inputs, not the TV.

But you need to make sure the receiver is configured to take the audio from the digital audio input, and the picture from the HDMI, when suing Sky HD.

A

Anonymous

Doh,

Just read yopur reply again, are you saying that the hdmi connection from the amp to the tv needs to stay in in order to use the blue ray player?

and as an expert can you give me advise on the best sound modes to use for watchin tv, moves and music, i know it may depend on how its broadcast but are there top two modes for each?

Many thanks

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Yes, you need the link from receiver to TV in order to use the Blu-ray player.

And I'd use direct mode for all sources for the best possible results, so the Sky HD runs in Dolby Digital when available, and defaults to stereo for other broadcasts, and Blu-ray is played in whatever format is coming off the disc.

sonycentre

May 30, 2009
Visit site
Yes you have to connect your blu ray player to your amp with 1 hdmi cable then use another hdmi cable to connect your amp to your tv.Then use another hdmi cable from your sky+hd box to your tv,then use an optical or coax cable(phono to phono lead) to your amp.You will then have to select the hdmi imput on your tv to watch sky then on your amp select the input for sound from your sky box.As andrew mentioned make sure you set it to dolby d under the digital audio output,and make sure you also select stereo as your audio output on your sky box.....phew.lol

A

Anonymous

Thanks for reply Andrew

I must say that with no fault on your behalf you have just made me feel like my mother for the first time in my life, and bless she's 76, you may have well have said take 2 duck eggs fill them with the best english chedder you can find attach them to your ears and hay presto you wont beat the sound quality, joking aside, i get the first bit but how do i configured the amp to take the audio from the digital audio input, and the picture from the HDMI, when using Sky HD.

sonycentre

May 30, 2009
Visit site
Hi jonbates,you dont remember you are taking the hdmi from your sky box direct to your tv.then select the av input on your tv to get the picture from your sky box.Then select the input on your amp to where you plugged in your optical/coax cable...and hey presto.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Press the set-up button, and on the menu onscreen choose Option 3 Digital Input. Then change the audio input for whichever input button you have the HDMI from the Sky HD connected to - usually CBL/SAT - to the digital audio input into which you've inserted the cable from the Sky HD box digital audio out. See page 35 of the manual for explanation.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
sonycentre:Hi jonbates,you dont remember you are taking the hdmi from your sky box direct to your tv.then select the av input on your tv to get the picture from your sky box.Then select the input on your amp to where you plugged in your optical/coax cable...and hey presto.

Except we've gone past that, as he also has a Blu-ray player going through the amp, so we're back to running video via the amp.

A

Anonymous

grant that makes a bit more sense to me, ta muchly, it is a bit of a handful trying to explain everthing, so cheers

i still have a confussion though, you mentioned 2 different setting for the sky box dolby digital and stereo or have i miss interpreted that?

A

Anonymous

im so glad its as difficult for you two to explain as it is for me to understand i feel a little less like my mother now, Lol

I'll read andrews advise and try and follow it ta muchly

A

Anonymous

PS its about time

EDITED BY MODS for offensive racist term

invented a self set up on the basis that you connect the appropriate devices via the appropriate leads and it optimises all the connections for you? by the time we get to 2020 you'll need to have a masters degree in electronics to set your AV and HiFi up

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
jonbates:im so glad its as difficult for you two to explain as it is for me to understand i feel a little less like my mother now, Lol

Oh, I thought it was quite simple to explain.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts