Sky HD box - lip sync is out on HD channels only

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Just had my 3rd HD box installed - initially I was pleased to find out that it is a new Pace box but there is a significant lip sync problem which cannot be resolved with optical delay (only on HD channels). SD is fine. I spoke to Sky and was told that "a lot of customers" have complained about this and they "are working to fix this soon". In the meantime Sky have agreed to credit me back my £10/month HD sub until it's resolved. Is this really a big problem? How many of you are affected?

A

Anonymous

I just got Sky HD and the engineer told me this was the first Pace box he'd installed! I'm experiencing the same lip-sync issue and even though the delay is minimal it is still noticeable, although not as bad as a Bruce Lee film

A

Anonymous

Hi guys,

Just settling to down to watch Murray hopefully beat Federer and have too noticed awful lip sync problems on Sky HD coverage but not on SD coverage.

Monkey King when you phoned Sky did you ask for the £10 refund every month or was it offered ,let me know that would be great.

Going to check out other HD channels and let you know if problems occur on those as well.

Great picture by the way just a real shame it appears to be at least a second or two out of sync

A

Anonymous

Richard,

I spoke to the technical helpline who suggested I phoned the billing department. On speaking to billing I was quite forceful about the fact that I'm not receiving the proper service at present and was not happy to pay for my HD service - at this point they offered to re-credit the amount I have paid already (2 months) into my account. They have not actually suspended payment for the HD sub but instead I need to ring them when my HD is working properly to get a further re-credit for any months with sub-standard viewing. I'm trying to press them on when it's going to be sorted - have sent Sky an e-mail as their technical helpline team are keeping their lips shut.

A

Anonymous

Bernie,

It's on all HD channels. All SD channels are normal.

A

Anonymous

Strange that as nearly all my HD channels are fine with only the occasional problem on Sky Sports channels which notices more eg when they are talking at half time during football matches etc. The more unusual HD channels such as Rush and Lux etc always seem fine.

pioneer7

Jul 26, 2008
Hi Monkey King Not sure if this helps but i find a similar problem every now and then, also the volume is alot lower than SD channels

anyway as for the Lip-Sync what i have done is change the channel then go back to the original channel and this essems to cure the problem, i am sure you have tried this but thought it may be an option, i have the original first HD Box.

Andy

A

Anonymous

Hi, we had the same problem but it seems to be resolved now we have changed the hdmi lead to QED form the standard Sky - also reset the box by switching it off for ten minutes.

Still on the first box, but not experiencing the problem - though we dont have surround sound (yet....)

ILMM

emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

I've recently noticed this too. I think it's worse when I playback a HD recording.

Now on 3rd Sky box due to noise and fan not turning off. Notice this latest one (still thompson ?) has neoprene stips on base to lift it higher off the stand to improve ventilation.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Sky has done a firmware upgrade that seems to have helped the lip-synch issue on HD recordings - I had an issue when I first got my replacement Pace box last week, but it's been cured now.

I've also noticed the Pace box is a lot quieter than the Thomson, and seems far quicker to respond to the remote.

A

Anonymous

I had a new Pace box, my first HD installation fitted two weeks ago. It suffered from lip sync problems, and then packed in completely. The replacement came on Tuesday morning, it was a Thomson refurb, no lip sync issues, but picture seems worse than the pace. this box has already started playing up, switching to standby after only 2 hours of use.

Seriously unimpressed with Sky experience so far.

A

Anonymous

Yes, mine has been fixed as well with the recent firmware download - hats off to Sky.

A

Anonymous

Hi

Just had Sky+ HD installed and am getting the lip sync problems on HD channels eg very noticable on Jonathan Ross HD last night - MonkeyKing what version is the recent firmware download you have? SD is OK. I have the following box setup:

Pace 1.610
version number 9f3002
operating system number 1.32AOI
EPG Software version 5.10.jHD

Also - how do I 'force' a firmware download? Anything else I should be doing to fix the HD lip sync problems?

Thanks

A

Anonymous

Hi Tornado,

I'll get back to you with my system's details later. If you're having problems start pestering Sky by both phone and e-mail - ask them for a refund of your HD sub until it's resolved - this worked for me with quite a speedy resolution.

MonkeyKing

A

Anonymous

Hi

Just joined after googling for info on this issue.

My pace box (TDS850NB) installed just over a week ago has the lip sync problem on HD channels. SD channels are ok.

The system details are the same as Tornado's.

Not sure if I was just not paying attention when it was first installed or if I have had a system update but I notice now that on changing channels there is a delay after the picture appears before the sound kicks in.

Is this the same for others?

Thanks

A

Anonymous

If you mean lip sync as in the sound cuts off for like 1sec ? Then yes i get this with my HD Box .

My Box is the Thomson HD Model , I have noticed alot of the Sky Anytime movies that about once or twice in the film the sound cuts off , is this normal ?

Since i have 5.1 setup i always notice it as the sounds cuts off ! kinda sucks , So is it worth me calling sky and getting them to Credit me some money till they Fix it ?

A

Anonymous

Got a nice phonecall today from the PA of Jeremy Darroch of SKY TV

told her all my problems, lip sync issues etc, 3 sky+ boxes in less than a year before i got SHY HD

the lip sync issue doesnt happen all the time, some channels are fine, and some are not, then the following evening i watch the channels that were playing up with lip sync and they are fine, its temperemental a lot of the time

she said it was an "issue they were dealing with"

she also credited my account with £30 as a good will gesture and not to charge me the £10 extra per month for HD until it is resolved at my end...

she has passed on my box details to their tech 2 department and i wait to hear what they will do, bet i wait for about 6 months!

my box is the latest PACE model, nice and quiet, and it has the updated software, so christ knows what the problem is exactly

i think the people on here and other forums who have Lip Sync issues should write to the papers and BBC Watchdog to get SKY to act on this problem, then we will all be happy and wont mind paying for a Service that actually works, i may try a SAMSUNG Box, but even those are playing up arent they??

thoughts?

daveh75

Jul 31, 2008
tornado:

Hi

Just had Sky+ HD installed and am getting the lip sync problems on HD channels eg very noticable on Jonathan Ross HD last night - MonkeyKing what version is the recent firmware download you have? SD is OK. I have the following box setup:

Pace 1.610
version number 9f3002
operating system number 1.32AOI
EPG Software version 5.10.jHD

Also - how do I 'force' a firmware download? Anything else I should be doing to fix the HD lip sync problems?

Thanks

to force a firmware upgrade, all you need to do is, switch box off at mains, whilst still off, press and hold the "back up" button on the box, switch mains back on still keeping button pressed, when the box lights up like a xmas tree,i.e all lights on front panel are lit,about 10-20 secs, you can now take finger of back up button,the box is downloading firmware

A

Anonymous

My SKY HD Box is the followingÿ

Manufacturer: Pace
Model Number: 1.610
Version Number: 9F3002
Operating System Version: 1.32A0I
EPG Software Version: 5.10.j HD

is this the latest version? how do i download the update for it
(if the above isnt the latest version)

A

Anonymous

Clare,

As an editor and journalist could you do an article in the magazine and challenge Sky publicly on this issue, which has still not been resolved.

I think most people are patient enough to wait until Sky have solved the problem rather than cancelling their contracts but maybe Sky should also stop charging their customers the £10 HD premium until it has been resolved.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts