SKY HD Box Issue.....

ukgthor

Sep 19, 2007
Visit site
Just started having problems with a SKY HD box I bought from a local dealer about 18 months ago. The channels go all pixelated and it does not make good viewing over a period of time. I've checked all the connections and I have a good signal, therefore I've assumed that its the box itself....

I do not have the SKY HD channel package yet, therefore I have a couple of options. 1) Subscribe to the HD channels for an additional £10 per month and get a free box or 2) purchase another HD box from a local dealer/eBay.

The question I have is that if I go with option 2, what box should I order ?, the Thompson, Pace, Amstrad or Samsung.

All opinions welcomed.

ukgthor

Sep 19, 2007
Visit site
Update:

the issue seems to be only happening on certain channels SKY 1, Living, SKY Sports etc... but fine on others Channel 4, BBC 2, ITV2. Anyone else experiencing the problems ?, I'm stating to think that maybe the box is not the problem.

ukgthor

Sep 19, 2007
Visit site
I've searched a few other forums and I have completed a Planner Rebuild and turned the power off and on again for the LNB, but still no luck.

It's strange that I can view BBC1, BBC2, ITV1, Channel4, Channel5 perfectley, but as soon as I get to SKY 1, SKY2 or SKY 3 the mage is badly pixalated.

daveh75

Given that it's a Thomson box you have, it may be down to a failing PSU.Which is a common problem with Thomson boxes due to the poor quality components(capacitors) used by Thomson in their PSU's.

However, before assuming that is the problem, i would try and borrow another STB from family/friends and see if the problem persists.

If the problem does persist the problem is probably elsewhere.Dish mis-alignment,failing/faulty LNB's,cable damage and even RF interference from Dect phones and Broadband routers etc,could all cause the symptoms you're experiencing

If the problem doesn't persist with another STB. then it's a fairly safe bet your PSU on it's way out.

In which case if your handy with screwdriver, Exchange PSU's can be bought from Satcure, or if you're handy with a soldering iron they also sell diy PSU repair kit's.

Exchange/replacement PSU's Here

PSU repair kits Here

If you don't want to do the repair yourself, then either take a look at satcures list of repairers, or contact Digifix ltd who'll be able to carry the repair for you.

Hope that helps.

A

Anonymous

If you have a Thomson box the chance of the PSU failing is over 90%.

There may also be other reasons in addition, but it won't be instead of a faulty PSU, but as well as ......

To give you an idea of the cost involved, I had my Thomson box upgraded to the SatCure mk.2 kit only last week by Digifix who are based in Buxton. It cost me £30 for the upgrade and a new 500gb HDD was fitted (free) at the same time.

The 500gb HDD cost £38 delivered from: http://www.ebuyer.com/store/Components/cat/Hard-Drives

Total cost: £68 and a bargain!

So to re-cap, I had exactly the same symptoms as you and now I have a much-improved SkyBox which operates perfectly and is a much better option than a new one from Sky (which would be in fact refurbished but original spec.) and not a NEW one.)

One more thing, send off the complete box to DigiFix and not just the PSU, so that it can be thoroughly tested by Michael.

If you have any more doubts or questions phone Michael Dranfield at DigiFix on 01298-73989.

DigiFix web-site: http://www.digifixltd.co.uk/powersupplyrepair.html

Bob.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts