Sky HD box - DD 5-1 thru HDMI or Coax//Digital coax. New boxes ?

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Well known SkyHD boxes only give DD5-1 thru optical or Digital but not HDMI. I noticed today that the Sky support site shows that there is a menu option to output 5-1 thru HDMI. I dont have this menu on my 12month yr old 1TB box. Is this a new feature of th latest HD boxes? I guess its hardware and not software. How long have the Sky boxes been outputting 5-1 thru HDMI ?

More for interest but maybe we dont need to recommend coax for latest boxes?

Cheers

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
I think mine is Amstrad. Twin tuner 1TB. I didnt realise they supplied a one tuner version esp in HD. I see them now - one tuner & no HDD. I guess primarily for multiroom. I recon Sky are a bit misleading. Hey Ho. Thanks

A

Anonymous

[UNPUBLISHED]

I am having the same issue.

My Sky HD box is connected to my Marantz receiver via HDMI which only outputs in stereo.

Having figured out that I would need to set DD audio to optical in my box's setting I connected an optical cable from the Sky box to receiver, but I am still not getting 5.1 on enabled programmes (e.g. Sky's F1 coverage). I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get my receiver to recognise that it should be receiving DD 5.1 through the optical cable.

I saw that a solution might be to use one of these

http://www.superfi.co.uk/p-3638-cyp-au11ca-hdmi-audio-embedder-with-repeater.aspx

so that both pictures and 5.1 sound can be transmitted via HDMI, but it seems like an expensive solution.

A

Anonymous

I have the same problem, so connected the Sky+ HD box to my Marantz AV receiver via an optical cable and set the Dolby Digital output to optical (with HDMI for everything else). Still no 5.1 on enabled programmes though. I can't for the life of me figure out how to set up the receiver so that it does work (not even sure it is possible).

One suggestion I have seen is to use an HDMI audio embedder like this http://www.superfi.co.uk/p-3638-cyp-au11ca-hdmi-audio-embedder-with-repeater.aspx , but it seems like a very expensive fix for something that ought to just work...

Anyway if anyone has any ideas as to how to sort this without purchasing the above I'd be very pleased to hear it.

Thanks

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
skstct said:
I have the same problem, so connected the Sky+ HD box to my Marantz AV receiver via an optical cable and set the Dolby Digital output to optical (with HDMI for everything else). Still no 5.1 on enabled programmes though. I can't for the life of me figure out how to set up the receiver so that it does work (not even sure it is possible).

One suggestion I have seen is to use an HDMI audio embedder like this http://www.superfi.co.uk/p-3638-cyp-au11ca-hdmi-audio-embedder-with-repeater.aspx , but it seems like a very expensive fix for something that ought to just work...

Anyway if anyone has any ideas as to how to sort this without purchasing the above I'd be very pleased to hear it.

Thanks

I dont have a problem. My post was merely out of interest. If I were you, I would start a new thread to sort yr problem. I know little about Marantz so cant really help.

daveh75

skstct said:

Thanks

Have you set your Sky box to output DD?

Services>Options>Settings>Sound

TRENDING THREADS