Sky HD audio out of sync for recorded programmes....

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I've ahd Sky HD for about a year now,and seem to remember having this problem every now and then since day 1, but it seems to be more often with the new EPG, but I may be imagining it.

When playing back programmes recorded in HD, occasionally the audio and video gradually get out of sync as the programme progresses. It seems to happen most often when I fast-forward or rewind for short periods, like when the adverts are on. Most of the time it can be fixed by stopping playback, and re-starting it again from the planner, although sometimes it takes a couple of goes for it to work. It also seems to be most problematic with shows recorded from Sky 1, with it happening on pretty much every episode of Lie To Me.

My Sky HD box is connected to my Onkyo HTX-22HD amp via HDMI, and then on to my Pioneer KRL-37V with another HDMI. I have a delay set on the amp to get the audio and video in sync for normal playback and have no problems, so I guess it is a software problem to do with the recording/playback system rather than a broadcast/receiver problem (although slightly annoyingly I seem to need a slightly different delay for HD broadcasts than SD broadcasts - means that at the moment it is a bit of a compromise so I don't have to keep changing it. Anyone know if you can set the Onkyo amp to have a different delay depending on the type input it gets?).

I have an Amstrad box, model number 1_5-016, version umber 4F3001, if that means anything to anybody!

Do you think I'd have any chance of getting anything out of Sky for the annoyance? Or even a fix for the problem? Maybe thats hoping too much!

A

Anonymous

Hi Ben, I have exactly the same problem with my HD Box and it drives us crazy. We have a Sony TV connected via HDMI (No Hi-Fi amp connection). You are not imagining it! I have been told that a re-boot of the box may cure it but I don't know if this wipes the hard drive so I haven't tried it yet. I will try to give it a go and if it works I will let you know.

Sky are no help at all!

A

Anonymous

It could be either hardware of software.

I have a Thomson box and do not get any sync problems using the co-ax spdif which should send the same signal albeit via an Spdif controller.

The Audio is sent via the HDMI cable to the TV but I rarely listen to that so cannot comment on how well it works although I have never noticed a sync problem when viewing that way either.

Are you able to send audio via spdif from the HD Box to the Onkyo and still view the picture to diagnose whether it is the HDMI audio controller at either the Sky or Onkyo end that is at fault ?

Furthermore you can set a delay on digital audio output of the HD Box via the EPG -> Audio Options, if that helps

It is also interesting that you note a difference between SD and HD transmissions as SD transmits 2 Channel AC3 and HD transmits 5.1 AC3 as a digital stream.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts