Sky HD 1tb noisy HDD

Petruchio

Mar 16, 2009
Visit site
I have had the Amstrad 1tb Sky HD box for about a month now, and it is noticibly noisier than my old Thomson Sky HD box.

It isn't the fan (as other people have been complaining about), but rather the hard drive constantly whirling away. It stops occasionally, but then "boots up" again.

It does it whether it is recording or not, and when in standby or on. I've tried turning off instant rewind but makes no difference.

I don't think it is downloading anything from "Anytime" as it does it day and night. the only time I get it to shut up is when I press and hold stand-by for 5 seconds, putting it into "off" mode. But this means it won't record any programmes until I boot it up again.

Very very annoying!

A

Anonymous

Mine has a more or less constant 'chatter' noise (very quiet) which I presume is the platters in the HDD. - pretty normal as far as I know.

The only oddball thing was last week after an 'Update Installed' page displayed when I switched it on, was that the box and fan did seem to run constantly for 24 hours plus, till I unplugged and reset it. Since it has been 'normal'.

Out of interest what versions of software / firmware is yours running,

Mine is

- Version No 4F3151

- Operating Version SYSF26.28.06

- EPG Version 38.2.1.6_1

I always worry when updates take place as I am a firm believer in why fix what is not broken. Although I have recorded several HD programmes and chase played other HD material and it seems to operate as before - flawlessly.

Regards.

Petruchio

Mar 16, 2009
Visit site
I have the same software/firmware as yours which I believe is the most recent.

Funnily enough, I didn't notice the constant whiring of the HDD until after this update (I'd had the box for a about two weeks before running on the older firmware). I'm wondering whether the new update has caused it to constantly whir away. I've even carried out a "forced update" but it doesn't solve it. I don't know if I can be bothered to go through the ordeal of sending it back and getting another one if it will behave in exactly the same way. I'm hoping that sky are aware of this problem and can sort it via a future update....

I don't suppose there's any way of going back to the older firmware to test my theory?

NB I did phone Sky but the "technician" told me to turn it off and turn it on again- This had no effect.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts