Sky 3D - should this work

michael hoy

I recently purchased a new TV and I have activated the sky 3D option, my amp is a pioneer SC-LX72 (non 3D).

Whilst playing around with the TV I went to the Sky 3D channel, set my TV to side by side for the 3D option and it did not work.

I had forgotten that the Sky box is connected via both scart and HDMI, so switched the amp on selected the AV input for the amp and it worked.

Is this just the way Sky deals with 3D or is my amp actually passing the signal through, I have not tried it with a 3D Blu Ray player yet.

A

Anonymous

Sky3D is basically just a normal 1080i broadcast as far as ur amp/pvr/hddvd recorder is concerned.

(It is actually 2 960x1080i pictures slightly offset presented side-by-side and ur tv combines them to give the 3d effect.)

On the plus side it works with current amps,pvrs etc - on the downside u lose half the resolution.

U need a 1.4 amp for full blu-ray 3D.

michael hoy

edsib1:

Hi,

I realise that I need a different amp, but was not sure why Sky worked through the amp.

Many thanks for the explanation.

PS. at least all my "old" HDMI cables work with 3D, tested them with the player direct to the TV.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
michael hoy:edsib1:

Hi,

I realise that I need a different amp, but was not sure why Sky worked through the amp.

Many thanks for the explanation.

PS. at least all my "old" HDMI cables work with 3D, tested them with the player direct to the TV.

Again, this is because Sky3D isn't Full 3D, ie it doesn't require anything like the throughput that a 3D Blu-ray would need (the SkyHD boxes are still only HDMI 1.1 compatible, never mind 1.3 or 1.4). There's no guarantee that your existing cables would work with a 3D Blu-ray player for example. They might but you can't guarantee it.

michael hoy

the_lhc:michael hoy:edsib1:

Again, this is because Sky3D isn't Full 3D, ie it doesn't require anything like the throughput that a 3D Blu-ray would need (the SkyHD boxes are still only HDMI 1.1 compatible, never mind 1.3 or 1.4). There's no guarantee that your existing cables would work with a 3D Blu-ray player for example. They might but you can't guarantee it.

I tested the cables using a 3D Blu Ray Disc and the all worked. I did always buy the highest speed cable.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts