Sick of IPhone Grief - need an alternative

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Hi Guys

I have an Iphoen 4S - its not alwys been the case but where i work and live the phone signal sine around xmas has been atrocious.

O2 has supposedly fixed antenna but its still terrible when using my IPhone. People either cant hear me or I sound like a darlick.

When I use the most basic of Nokias the phone signal is ok 95 % of the time.

When I use the iphone there is signal problem at least 50% of the time 3G on off the same, data on off the same.

So I am sick of the grief and looking to alternative

Things I need - good call quality, emails, web browsing for when fishing. i work from home so I dont need the phone as a pc.

I dont use the ipod of my iphone, I dont go for apps, games or anything like that.

I do like the Iphones screen as its good to show people pictures of fish I have caught when fishing.

What can you Suggest?

Juzzie Wuzzie

Don't know - I'm a Mac user - but it backs up my contacts and calendar.

I am on T-Mobile, 95% in London and find the signal fine, no issues, and no issues with call quality compared to other phones I've used (on same network) - Nokia C2-00, Nokia 2330, HTC Wildfire S, Blackberry Curve, Blackberry Pearl ....

Sliced Bread

My Advice: Avoid HTC too

I used to love my HTC Desire, but after a few months it developed bug and bug and fault after fault. Several of my friends / relatives have had the same problems with the Desire and other htc models.

They also seem to drop calls alot.

You'll just be trading one problem for another, with that one.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Sliced Bread said:

I used to love my HTC Desire, but after a few months it developed bug and bug and fault after fault. Several of my friends / relatives have had the same problems with the Desire and other htc models.

That's not my experience, I had a Desire for over a year and I've had the Desire HD for longer than that, I've not had any bugs or faults and I've not noticed either of them dropping calls.

A

Anonymous

Hi, I have a iPhone 3G and am also on O2, could the problem be the coverage offered in your area, as in the west midlands my 3G reception is good about 60% of the time, 100% when in London and a big 0% when in north Wales or the Lake District which friends on Orange get a full signal, maybe you need to look at changing sim card to another supplier. :roll:

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Stephen Vann said:
Hi, I have a iPhone 3G and am also on O2, could the problem be the coverage offered in your area, as in the west midlands my 3G reception is good about 60% of the time, 100% when in London and a big 0% when in north Wales or the Lake District which friends on Orange get a full signal, maybe you need to look at changing sim card to another supplier. :roll:

Yeah, I'm on O2 as well and you definitely seem to be the poor relation when it comes to 3G coverage. I can't get it at all at home but Orange users get full signal!

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
I just recently switched from O2 to Vodafone on my 4S as could only get signal in my flat in one tiny spot, whereas OH had no issues on Vodafone with her iPhone 4. Spent a few hours with O2 in total trying to improve it, but in the end they just said they couldn't do anything - fair play to them to admitting it and not trying to put the blame on me or the phone somehow.

Since moving to Vodafone, I've not really had any issues - definitely seems to be a better network for signal in my experience. I'm sure there are others who've had the opposite of course!

Main difference for me from the OP though is all phones on O2 had an issue, so it was I knew it was definitely a network and not a phone issue.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I think signal coverage depends on areas - O2 good one area Vodafone good another

The signal round this area is rubbish for a few of the networks - I changed from Orange to O2 becuase Orange was poor for me.

I use my phone for work and work in sales so need to make gooid quality phone calls. Its embrarrasing, unprofessional and you cant sell when people cant hear you/ you sound like a darlick

They have literally just puty a new mast up 200 metres from my house - its a 3G mast but I dont know if that will improve my phone signal. Its supposed to be up and running within the month.

O2 have said I can come out of my contract before the end which is May but I am in a quandry with that to do.

Wait or Get out early

If I get out early what Phone do I get?

Also nonme of the other networks that I would consider i.e. Vodaphone or Oraneg do an all inclusive minutes tariff - only O2 do.

I have had a HTC in the past and it was rubbish - slow, and not good so I dont think I would get another based on a bad 12 months - I appreciate the newer ones are likely better than what I had but I cant help having a lingering doubt about them

What I dont get is that the cheapest Nokia you can buy while not giving me perfect phone signal allows me to make 90% of trouble free calls - the iphone is literally problematic every call

The difference there if you think about it is huge in actual the Main Job the product - the phone call

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
Sliced Bread said:

That's not my experience, I had a Desire for over a year and I've had the Desire HD for longer than that, I've not had any bugs or faults and I've not noticed either of them dropping calls.

Make that 2 of us with no issues. Had my Desire for almost 18 months and it's a cracking phone, limited storage aside.

Sliced Bread

The_Lhc said:
Sliced Bread said:

Looks like you were one of the lucky ones. My problems have been: 1) calls dropping 2) phone hanging indefinitely while dialing, even though I have a strong signal. 3) no longer able to reply to texts from some numbers (like my wife). To reply I have to enter the actual number instead if hitting reply. I have tried all sorts if solutions, Luke adding a new contact and removing the old one but it returns. There is some kind of scenario that the software struggles to cope with. 4) My father in laws used to reboot every 30 mins or so. He had to have the motherboard replaced, but it took 8 months for HTC to agree to.this even though it is a.know issue all over the web. I could go on. Several of us have had a combination of each others issues, so I don't think.it is isolated. I don't even download many apps. So the phone is pretty clean. No more HTC phones for me. Glad yours works though.

iPhone 4 had a problem with signal dropouts, which was solved by a "bumper case". Have you tried that?

http://www.pcworld.com/article/199853/apple_responds_to_iphone_4_antenna_problem.html

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MC839ZM/B?fnode=MTY1NDA0NA&fs=m.iphoneCompatibility%3Diphone4%26m.dimensionColor%3Dblack

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Sliced Bread said:
The_Lhc said:
Sliced Bread said:

Looks like you were one of the lucky ones. My problems have been: 1) calls dropping 2) phone hanging indefinitely while dialing, even though I have a strong signal. 3) no longer able to reply to texts from some numbers (like my wife). To reply I have to enter the actual number instead if hitting reply. I have tried all sorts if solutions, Luke adding a new contact and removing the old one but it returns. There is some kind of scenario that the software struggles to cope with. 4) My father in laws used to reboot every 30 mins or so. He had to have the motherboard replaced, but it took 8 months for HTC to agree to.this even though it is a.know issue all over the web. I could go on. Several of us have had a combination of each others issues, so I don't think.it is isolated. I don't even download many apps. So the phone is pretty clean. No more HTC phones for me. Glad yours works though.

Well I'd say you've been unlucky, I know a good dozen people with HTC phones and none of them have had the sort of problems you've described, particularly the text thing, this is the best phone for text messaging I've ever used.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
bigboss said:
iPhone 4 had a problem with signal dropouts, which was solved by a "bumper case". Have you tried that?

http://www.pcworld.com/article/199853/apple_responds_to_iphone_4_antenna_problem.html

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MC839ZM/B?fnode=MTY1NDA0NA&fs=m.iphoneCompatibility%3Diphone4%26m.dimensionColor%3Dblack

Thanks for the links BB I often hold the case in the middle, lately been holding it at the bottom to try somehting different, even tried not trying to touch the side just the back - thats harder than it sounds.

I have had it in a case since day 1 - but a rubber case bought from amazon that was supposed to stop the death grip.

The phone worked fine for the majority of the 12 months gone of my 18 month contract - I have had previous issues and down time etc and problems. But since new Years its ben horrendous and un useable. I work from home and nothign has changed for me in that time

What sickens me is that O2 actually say "we do not gaurantee you a singnal indoors or in your home" and yet on their website it clealy advertises their signal as being very good indoors and outdoors for my postcode !!

I find these companies take the biscuit with things like ths and try and fob you off - I pay £68 a month for my line rental its the top package and I cant even make phone calls without issue. Its disgusing really and I have told them on many occaisions.

I live in a standard 3 bedroom terraced house not a nuclear buncar

Does anyone know if calls are made via 3G or if it is only data??

I had HTC Desire for about 18 months; it worked flawlessly. However, I'm a bit disappointed with HTC Sensation. It often doesn't show any signal, when my wife's phone shows full! It takes 2-3 minutes to detect one, after unlocking the phone. Sometimes, I have to restart the phone.

On a couple of occasions, it kept looking for a signal, & completely drained the battery from full in doing so, within a couple of hours.

My next phone is going to be this:

http://www.sonyericsson.com/cws/products/mobilephones/overview/xperia-s?cc=gb&lc=en#layerid=xperia-s

Tonya

Sep 9, 2008
Visit site
I have tried most of the phones on the market at the moment and always come back to the SonyEricsson Experia Arc S.
Connects to my TV, NAS, BluRay, etc, without hassle and does everything the iPhone does but better.
It's a beautifully scupltured shell, well balanced and just looks the part 8)

Take a look in your local phone shop - you won't be disappointed.

ellisdj said:
The phone worked fine for the majority of the 12 months gone of my 18 month contract - I have had previous issues and down time etc and problems. But since new Years its ben horrendous and un useable. I work from home and nothign has changed for me in that time

In that case, ring O2 & tell them it's a fault with the phone. As it is less than 2 years old, they should repair it for free.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I have been using it again today with wifi off and holding the phone as far away from the bottom left hand corner I can.

calls so far have been pretty good but you can watch my phone firstly you have 3g then you have the ring then you have nothing..... when the call ends the 3g comes back on

The phone has just come back from the repair centre - i dropped it and damaged the screen - the issue was happening long before i dropped it.

They told me they would check everthing / the phone fully before returning it to me?

With wifi on then the problems seemed to start

I have just found out holding it a certain way causes problems as well - obviously my case is not working - a £400 phone you have hold to hold a certain way....... :O

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts