Sick amp Arcam Alpha 8 - looking to upgrade

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I've a 10+ year old system Arcam Alpha 7 CD, Arcam Alpha 8 amp, B&W DM601 speakers, NAD 533 turntable. Amp is "distorting on both channels" (but not the volume switch) and proper diagnosis will cost £120, so effectively dead.

I'm looking for a replacement which is an upgrade, and which won't be limited by the other equipment. I mainly play CDs, ranging from acoustic/vocal (Joan Baez etc) to heavy rock, but want to retain the vinyl option, in a medium sized room loaded with heavy carpets and furniture.

I've seen the reviews of the Cyrus options (6vs2, 8vs2 and even the double up option vs2 + 8power,available for £899 apparently, via another link on this site) but I don't think this gives a phono option. Latest arcam amps don't seem to get good reviews, the Roksan Kandy K2 and the M-1 seem to find favour as well.

I know the theory of listening to the systems, but not so easy when I'm trying to match my own (old) equipment.

Any ideas on a match for the kit I've got? Is it time to pension off the CD and speakers? Help gratefully received!

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
The latest Arcam amps get extremely good reviews in other magazines, just not in this one who seem to prefer the more upfront Cyrus/Naim sounds.

ÿ

A

Anonymous

Aha - need to look a little wider. Would "more upfront" (Cyrus/Naim) sounds be better in a room stacked with soft furnishings?

Thanks, Steve

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts