Shutter Island

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Just watched this. What a cracking film. DiCaprio is excellent (and I am so not a fan) Bored of Hollywood stars and the films that are little more than publicity vehicles for then. This is different, the plot and film come first and because I usually steer well clear of DiCaprio films it was almost like watching a new actor. Thoroughly reccommend.

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
I watched this some time ago & thoroughly enjoyed it, a
emotion-21.gif
from me too.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
richardw42:Just watched this. What a cracking film.
DiCaprio is excellent (and I am so not a fan)

Bored of Hollywood stars and the films that are little more than publicity vehicles for then. This is different, the plot and film come first and because I usually steer well clear of DiCaprio films it was almost like watching a new actor.

Thoroughly reccommend.

I'm a big DiCaprio fan (ever since Gilbert Grape) but I don't let that brainwash me! He has made a few turkeys. Shutter Island and especially Inception, are his best to date.

A

Anonymous

i seen it in the cinema a few months back, and recently bought the blu-ray, great movie...

duly edited
emotion-11.gif

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
Watched it last night too, highly recommended....although sound quality was a bit off...but loved the movie....Martin is getting better with age

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:I wish people wouldn't tell me there's a twist, I'll be looking for it now...

Don't worry, JD, you'll have figured out the twist within the first twenty minutes, anyway. A poor, mystery-by-numbers, film that's worse because it was hyped as a horror/ghost film and is, in fact, neither. It was the biggest cinematic disappiontment that I've had in years.

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
bretty:
JohnDuncan:I wish people wouldn't tell me there's a twist, I'll be looking for it now...

It was the biggest cinematic disappiontment that I've had in years.

I would have thought that would have been reserved for the three films that are Star Wars Part 2.....disappointment does not come close!

For the record I actually liked Shutter Island but to be fair I rented it on Blu-ray knowing nothing about the film so I had no pre-conceived ideas about it.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
mitch65:bretty:

It was the biggest cinematic disappiontment that I've had in years.

I would have thought that would have been reserved for the three fimsa that are Star Wars Part 2.....disappointment does not come close!

For the record I actually liked Shutter Island but to be fair I rented it on Blu-ray knowing nothing about the film so I had no pre-conceived ideas about it.

You raise a good point, Mitch. The Star Wars prequels are in a league of their own, when it comes to disappointing the masses!

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
I'm not much of a DeCaprio fan either, but I totally agree, one of the best films in the last few years. Very hitchcock like. The plot, dialogue, and acting were terrific, but the camera work was what really made it something special. Rarely do we get such quality from hollywood as it doesn't sell as well...

A

Anonymous

Hi all,

I thought Shutter Island was great, but then I would, being a Scorsese and Lehane fan! The other two movies based on his novels (Mystic River and Gone Baby Gone) were also fantastic. SI was quite scary, too, despite the fact that not that much happens. I loved it despite knowing what the twist was before watching it (read the book).

Tonight I watched From Paris with Love, and that's probably one of the worst films I've seen in 10 years or so. Complete waste of time...

Hedgehog

A

Anonymous

Hedgehog:

Hi all,

I thought Shutter Island was great, but then I would, being a Scorsese and Lehane fan! The other two movies based on his novels (Mystic River and Gone Baby Gone) were also fantastic. SI was quite scary, too, despite the fact that not that much happens. I loved it despite knowing what the twist was before watching it (read the book).

Tonight I watched From Paris with Love, and that's probably one of the worst films I've seen in 10 years or so. Complete waste of time...

Hedgehog

Morning All, have to agree with HH here on both counts, Shutter Island was good but not exceptional for me. I have trouble with Caprio...I am just not convinced by him and felt that he was too young for this part. I know Scrorsese loves him and has taken him in like he did with De Niro, but he is just not in the same league and can't adapt or fit each role as effortlessly as De Niro once could. The rest of the cast were thoroughly engrossing and convincing though, and for me that's what carried the film and made the 'twist' all the more believeable.

As for 'From Paris with Love', do yourselves a favour and don't waste your rental cash or tokens on this one, it's awful and can only assume Travolta got paid a fortune for it as he plods through it methodically. Talk about unbelievable, his attempt to sigle-handedly beat up complete street gangs is hilarious...trouble is that it's not supposed to be !!! Total waste of time...

SteveR750

I didn't think this was classic Scorsese, and to be honest DiCaprio overeggs it a little in my opinion Its a bit of a plodder, but without the smouldering of say No Country. I watched Ghost Rider straight after it and thought it was better. Mind you both infinitely better than the tripe that is 2012 that I watched on Saturday night...Oh Dear....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts