Shure V15 MkII replacement.

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all.

I have a Garrard 401 and SME 3012 in a custom plinth with a Shure V15MkII cartridge.

Sound quality is excellent except that I find the Shure a little bass shy.

I have several other cartridges but none are as good as the V15.. I've tried Audio Technica AT95e, ADC QLM30 MkIII, Ortofon F15e, Shure M75-6 and Shure M75EJ.

The AT95e has the extended bass that I'm missing with the V15 but it's nowhere near as good as the V15 in other respects.

I also have a Shure M97HE but no stylus.. just the body.

Any cartridge suggestions are welcome.. is it worth getting a stylus for the M97 or is the V15 II a better cartridge already.

Should I look for a V15MkIII rather than the II??

A

Anonymous

Same as last time: http://community.whathifi.com/forums/t/466353.aspx

A

Anonymous

Actually you're unlikely to get an answer since I doubt many have heard the gear you mention. Try vinylengine or the karmic site about audio, which is probably your best bet.

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
You've got a classic front end which is highly thought of today so try not to sell it short with a cheap cartridge. Looking at your last thread you mention that you do not want a MC but this discounts the likes of the Denon DL103 which, for £100, is a great match for the SME. If MM is want you want then probably your best bet is the likes of Goldring. The SME will take some very nice cartridges so you do have a lot of choice when funds allow in the future.

A

Anonymous

mitch65:
You've got a classic front end which is highly thought of today so try not to sell it short with a cheap cartridge. Looking at your last thread you mention that you do not want a MC but this discounts the likes of the Denon DL103 which, for £100, is a great match for the SME. If MM is want you want then probably your best bet is the likes of Goldring. The SME will take some very nice cartridges so you do have a lot of choice when funds allow in the future.I have a DL103 and in my setup it has good, tight bass but not necessarily that deep. Frankly I'd doubt it's better than the V15, though the 103R might be.

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
I agree with what you say with the 103R but cost would be the issue there and if Superwales is getting a more extended bass with AT95e (which doesn't exactly major in bass), which he likes, then I think the 103 should be fine.

Of course, if the 103R is affordable then it would certainly be worth the extra expense.

A

Anonymous

Yes, apologies for the double posting.. for whatever reason I couldn't see my own post so sent another from home.

A

Anonymous

I'm intrigued by you saying that the AT95e doesn't exactly major in bass..

My personal experience with 2 of them in 2 decks has been the opposite.

One in a Rotel TT with unknown arm and one in a Revolver Rebel.

Both times I found the bass was very good and extended for a cheap cartridge but there were problems elsewhere.

Cartridges compared on both decks were Shures M97HE 75ED & M75 - 6, Ortofon F15e, ADC QLM30,32,34,36 Goldring G820 and Tenorel 2001.

For whatever reason I just find the bass from the AT95e is "better" because it seems to have good bass extension particularly noticeable on organ works. Perhaps they just like the NAC62..

A

Anonymous

I may well check out the replacement upgraded stylus for the AT95e if they're relatively cheap..

A

Anonymous

Point noted.. I thought I'd post here first as people here seem to have a variety of kit from basic to very high end so may throw up something that the others may not consider.

A

Anonymous

I hadn't considered a high output MC, I've never tried one.

I did see in passing a comment that the DL150 or 160 is also good.. will have to check prices.

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
SupaWales:

I'm intrigued by you saying that the AT95e doesn't exactly major in bass..

My personal experience with 2 of them in 2 decks has been the opposite.

One in a Rotel TT with unknown arm and one in a Revolver Rebel.

Both times I found the bass was very good and extended for a cheap cartridge but there were problems elsewhere.

Cartridges compared on both decks were Shures M97HE 75ED & M75 - 6, Ortofon F15e, ADC QLM30,32,34,36 Goldring G820 and Tenorel 2001.

For whatever reason I just find the bass from the AT95e is "better" because it seems to have good bass extension particularly noticeable on organ works. Perhaps they just like the NAC62..

Having had both the AT95e and the Denon cartridges it's my experience that the Denon has a 'better' bass extension, this is not to say that the AT has no bass but there are better. Of course it could be that your Shure cartridge is worn, not knowing how old it is I cannot comment but this could be a factor in the AT showing it a clean pair of heals?

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Having had an AT95e (along with using an AT91 regularly), I would say that it seems as though the ATs have more bass - in reality it's more like that the bass that is there is less accurate and a little overblown. The Denon definitely goes lower, and is more accurate.

Saying that, the AT95e is 1/4 the price of the Denon(the AT91 1/6th the price!!), and they both still make a very nice sound...

Another cheap cart that I've heard sounding wonderful on an LP12 (I had this fitted before selling my LP12/Ittok, as I wanted to retain the DL), is the Goldring Elan - good bass weight and very good detail resolution for just £20.

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
fatboyslimfast:Having had an AT95e (along with using an AT91 regularly), I would say that it seems as though the ATs have more bass - in reality it's more like that the bass that is there is less accurate and a little overblown. The Denon definitely goes lower, and is more accurate. Saying that, the AT95e is 1/4 the price of the Denon(the AT91 1/6th the price!!), and they both still make a very nice sound... Another cheap cart that I've heard sounding wonderful on an LP12 (I had this fitted before selling my LP12/Ittok, as I wanted to retain the DL), is the Goldring Elan - good bass weight and very good detail resolution for just £20.

Well that just dusted off the memery cells. I did exactly the same thing with an LP12 a few years back, needed to sell it but wanted to keep the cartridge so threw the Elan on and was pleasantly surprised by the sound for 20 quid!

A

Anonymous

I would imagine that the Shure was bought at more or less the same time as the SME arm, the arm is the 3012 MkII.

The arm / cart / stylus can track the 18cm/s test band on the HFNRR 1981 disc at 1.5gm and the 12cm/s band at 1gm with appropriate bias settings.

The AT95e is distinctly "uncomfortable" with the 12cm/s band even at 2gm but not too bad at 2.5gm.. at 2.5gm it can just about cope with the 18cm/s band but it's not happy. This is with 2 different styli but a very old body from 30 odd years ago.I have another AT95 in the Revolver Rebel which I'll remove and mount on the new deck to see if it's any better.This body is about 15 years old and had very little use, the older one has been well thrashed in various different arms / decks.

KT66

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Tracking ability is very overrated when it comes to carts, the Linn Akiva can't track to save it's life, yet it sounds superb.

Those HIFI News Test records are a joke, sell it and use your ears to set VTA, VTF etc

The best mid price carts I have heard are the Denon 110 and 160

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts