Should you buy the matching speaker stands????

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
I was just wondering if anyone has any opinion on whether you should buy the matching stands for your standmount speakers or whether you would get a better sound by buying universal stands from s stand manufacturer - how much time and effort do speakers companies put in to the designs of stands - or is it an after thought?

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
It's up to your ears - certainly most speaker manufacturers will have spent many hours designing and trialling what they believe to be the best match for the speakers, but you may prefer a different design, and how it affects the sound...

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Generally speaking I would say its better to go with another pair of speaker stands as pound for pound they usually arnt quite as good as the very best for the price.

But yeah ~ always try first where possible.

John Duncan

Most manufacturers ask stupid money for their stands (eg Spendor and Sonus Faber). On the plus side, they will have been made to make them sound as good as they can (generalising) and will match aesthetically (ditto Spendor and Sonus Faber). On the minus side, there will be an OEM stand out there which is just as good for a quarter of the price.

So unless you must have a zebrano veneer on the front to match your SA1s, or slate and leather to match your SFs, I'd say buy whatever independent maker's stands which look good and you can afford.

A

Anonymous

I was wondering about this, as I have just bought the M5 Epos speakers, and was thinking of getting the matching stands. I have the Z2's at the moment, but was wondering if the epos stands would be better, or another brand.

Your thoughts and recomendations would be useful....

A

Anonymous

NO. Except if I decide to choose Sonus Faber Concertino Domus instead of Neat Motive 2 then YES.

In my eyes unless the speaker is designed to be mounted at a specific angle or height it is purely aesthetic. To me stands like the SF ones add so much aesthetic quality they are worth paying £350+ for.

Stands which look like any other made from pig iron aren't.

A

Anonymous

It's a difficult call to make but the usual 'use your own ears' rule has to apply. The Spendor SA1 stands are £400 but have been made specifically to help the speaker sound better. In this case they help keep the midrange clear.

A

Anonymous

Your Soundstyle Z2's are good for speakers up to £400.00 (according to What Hi-Fi, not me!) and should be good enough.

An upgrade to this would be the Partington Super Dreadnoughts, which will add more weight and scale to your music.

A

Anonymous

Finances my friend, finances. I went out with a budget of £800 and came home with £1.1k speakers. But then there's always later, half the fun....

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
igglebert:Finances my friend, finances. I went out with a budget of £800 and came home with £1.1k speakers. But then there's always later, half the fun....

ÿ

You mean you aren't Sheikh Al City then? I'll probably buy Ronaldo next week for £125 million, then some Spendor stands the following month.

ÿ

TRENDING THREADS