Should speakers be stuck down to stands plate?

seasonsdownfall

Jan 9, 2012
Visit site
Have a pair of Monitor Audio BX2's on nexus 6 stands, and at the moment they're just sitting on the plates, however I was wondering if it's best for sticking them down,

and to do this would it be best to stick the speakers down at an angle, or have them straight inline with the stands plate and move the stands accordingly,

aswell, what's the best method for sticking them down!?

Thanks!

John Duncan

B300_1_thumb.jpg

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
I use, and have always used blu-tack, white-tac is just as good and tends to leave less resedue.

I mainly use it as it makes the speakers more secure, I.E they wont slide off.

If you want to toe in the speakers, I would have the speakers in line with the stands, and toe in them together, really just from an aestetic point of view, it would make any difference to the sound.

seasonsdownfall

Jan 9, 2012
Visit site
thought it was blue tac, thanks!

i suppose a couple of packets would be ideal because how it comes in the packet is around the right size for the entire plate.

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
No, really you only need little blobs in all four corners. Like this -

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTcc9xzuuOZ4tQs6o8X1p2nGxPoumvhXLdI_z1Kp0AeGTpvdIzcQLf4zTjy

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
I definately wouldn't use a slab under the speaker. As has been said use blobs. Also align speakers to top plate otherwise it could sound less good and would look awful.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Its been said a number of times here . . . BluTack, small pea size blobs, 12mm in from the edges, speaker on top and press down hard!

To remove the speaker, rotate around its vertical axcis.

CJSF

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
CJSF said:
Its been said a number of times here . . . BluTack, small pea size blobs, 12mm in from the edges,

ARE YOU INSANE????!!!11!??!

It's never more than ELEVEN mm from the edge... :poke:

Well, well its The_Lhc . . . and there I was, thinking I was on your 'ignore' list:?

But yes, the extra 1mm makes so much differeance to the sound :help: . . . However most allow the 12mm for the squash out for the pea blob!

CJSF 8)

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Crossie said:
I find five pea blobs in the shape of a quincunx works best ;)

There's an argument that one should calculate the centre of gravity taking into account the extra weight from the drivers and move the centre blob forward to compensate, thus preventing it being a proper quincunx.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
CJSF said:
The_Lhc said:
CJSF said:
Its been said a number of times here . . . BluTack, small pea size blobs, 12mm in from the edges,

ARE YOU INSANE????!!!11!??!

It's never more than ELEVEN mm from the edge... :poke:

Well, well its The_Lhc . . . and there I was, thinking I was on your 'ignore' list:?

That's just when you're waffling, the 12mm comment is nonsense but at least it was concise.

But yes, the extra 1mm makes so much differeance to the sound

Ok then!

seasonsdownfall

Jan 9, 2012
Visit site
Many things have been said before in different topics, there's many topics too with similar titles/subjects... I do apologise!

Does it REALLY matter how many mm etc the blu-tack 'blobs' are in from the corners... Seriously! haha.

seasonsdownfall

Jan 9, 2012
Visit site
Strange... Just looked at my stands closely and noticed on one of them, the two posts at the back have two holes on each, one at the top one at the bottom, the other stand doesn't have that...

Should i have assembled them so one was on each stand, they wouldn't be used for filling, as they're too bigger holes, it wouldn't keep whatever i filled it with in... Confused!

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
We do take our selves seriously dont we, picky or what? . . . just for the record, a pea of Blu Tack will spread, 'putting it in from the edged allows for the spread' keeping things neat and tidy . . . hope that’s concise enough . . .

CJSF

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts