Should Naim gear, especially the Uniti, be kept switched on all the time?

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I'm a long-time Naim user and have always kept my amps switched on, putting them off only when going away for long holidays. I've never really monitored the electricity consumption this entails but a hifi retailer recently told me that Naim amps consume a lot of juice when idling. Can anyone confirm this?

Also, is it true that turning them on and off regularly isn't good for them? I've always wondered about this. The reason I ask is that I'm now using a Uniti and find that it occasionally runs quite hot, especially when the ambient temperature rises on a hotter-than-usual day. Would turning the Uniti off every now and then do it any harm, or I should I keep it on all the time?

(My Naim amps are 15 years old and still operating well - maybe their longevity is because they've hardly ever been switched off?)

A

Anonymous

Singslinger:

I'm a long-time Naim user and have always kept my amps switched on, putting them off only when going away for long holidays. I've never really monitored the electricity consumption this entails but a hifi retailer recently told me that Naim amps consume a lot of juice when idling. Can anyone confirm this?

Also, is it true that turning them on and off regularly isn't good for them? I've always wondered about this. The reason I ask is that I'm now using a Uniti and find that it occasionally runs quite hot, especially when the ambient temperature rises on a hotter-than-usual day. Would turning the Uniti off every now and then do it any harm, or I should I keep it on all the time?

(My Naim amps are 15 years old and still operating well - maybe their longevity is because they've hardly ever been switched off?)

I'm not a gung ho greenie but leaving this Naim equipment on would just be a fantasticaly stupid waste of energy and frankly any thing worth that much money should be able to be switched on and off with out damaging it one jot; otherwise it;'s really not worth the money.

A

Anonymous

brittondave:Singslinger:

I'm not a gung ho greenie but leaving this Naim equipment on would just be a fantasticaly stupid waste of energy and frankly any thing worth that much money should be able to be switched on and off with out damaging it one jot; otherwise it;'s really not worth the money.

Furthermore why would "Naim Gear " be any different to any other hifi. Does it utilise some kind of mystical precious material in it's contruction or does it just say it in the manual?

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
brittondave:brittondave:Singslinger:

Furthermore why would "Naim Gear " be any different to any other hifi. Does it utilise some kind of mystical precious material in it's contruction or does it just say it in the manual?

Well said. I have always thought leaving hifi permanantly turned on was a waste of money.

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
I used to have a uniti and this was a concern for me also. Initially I kept the uniti on 24 hrs a day but my wife went into 'save the earth' mode so started switching it off at night and this caused no problems

T

the record spot

Makes no difference at all. Waste of time. I suspect after 15 years, it's probably burned in enough now to chance switching it off from time to time...! Audio gear really is subject to some of this stuff when other far more important systems that rely on a "quality signal" are switched on and off day in day out.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
Singslinger:Actually, it was recommended by several dealers (who obviously aren't greenies).Or indeed paying for the electricity. Just remember, they only work in a shop.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
hammill:Singslinger:Actually, it was recommended by several dealers (who obviously aren't greenies).Or indeed paying for the electricity. Just remember, they only work in a shop.

Also suggested by Naim themselves in their amplifier instructions...

"Better and more consistent performance will be achieved if the system is left switched on for long periods."

The above does not constitute my agreement (or otherwise) with the suggestion. I just wanted to clarify that Naim are the source of the advice.

Also, Naim's advice... "switched on for long periods", does not mean 'switched on all the time'.

staggerlee

Apr 11, 2008
Visit site
As a naim owner, it is recommended to leave the equipment on and actually the amount of electricty it uses is very small. i always leave the amps, Cd player swithed on and basically not to concerned about it. A friend who is an electrician is 100% convinced that continualy switching on and off electrical equipment does shorten its life span. So you may save a few pennies in the short term but then need to replace the item quicker at abigger cost.

The uniti maybe different as it does get quite hot -again the dealer is the best person to advise on this.

in summary, i suppose on this issue if your a greenie - then the idea abhors you and if your tight then you may want to leave everything off. At the end of the day its your choice as you pay the bills.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
staggerlee:...in summary, i suppose on this issue if your a greenie - then the idea abhors you and if your tight then you may want to leave everything off. At the end of the day its your choice as you pay the bills.

Using the terms.. 'greenie' and 'tight' is not useful is it?

I think, sadly, your tone has just reinforced the stereotypical image of Naim owners being arrogant and dismissive of other people's concerns about energy saving and their household budgets.

I would feel happier about using Naim if they directed some of their new thinking to this issue and designed amps that conformed to 'Energy Star' standards of standby consumption and that could also be powered off/on regularly with no effect on sound quality (or those blasted switch-on thumps!)

Naim have not only embraced, but surged ahead with DAB/Internet/streaming/networked/NAS/DAC etc technology in a range of innovative products. Why is it, seemingly, beyond them to introduce 'smart' protection circuitry and ultra low usage standby modes that have no detriment to sound quality?

They have also introduced 'smart' bass contouring in their latest all-in-one product (a tone control) for the first time ever, so they are obviously not averse to complete rethinks of their traditional values.

This power issue is going to continue to be a rod with which Naim (and their users) will get beaten, and will get worse as energy becomes more expensive/scarcer.

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
staggerlee:
At the end of the day its your choice as you pay the bills.

Indeed it is, but a thought or two outside of your own world may be of use also.

I used to have Naim kit and would generally switch it off. I found after half an hour or so it sounded absolutely fine.

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
chebby:
I think, sadly, your tone has just reinforced the stereotypical image of Naim owners being arrogant and dismissive of other people's concerns about energy saving and their household budgets.

Is that the stereotypical image of Naim owners? Never heard that before.

A

Anonymous

I have found that switching everything off at night works for me.
However getting everything warmed up to operating temp does improve the sound, say about 1/2 hour.
Just like my car, I will gently use it until fully warmed up before stretching its performance.

staggerlee

Apr 11, 2008
Visit site
JamesOK:chebby:

I thought the stereotypical image was that Naim is best and everything else is dismissed as being rubbish ! (A bit like Apple fans)

A

Anonymous

I wouldn,t think that leaving it on all the time would make the amp sound any better than leaving it on for 30 mins before playing. Maybe Scottish Power or the local energy companies have shares in Naim. Personally, i usually warm mine up for 30 mins before listening.

staggerlee

Apr 11, 2008
Visit site
On a serious note, with my system, i find that the warm up time can vary depending on how long it has been off. If a few days pass and i haven't used it, then it can take 2-3 hours to warm up. The difference in sound quality is very apparent. It sound's harsh and bright and then warms up considerably. I turn it off when i go on a 2 week vacation and it can take 3 to 5 days to get up and running again.

Whether this is right or wrong is a different topic.

I know in other systems a 15 minute workout is enough. My kids Tesco systems are always off and don't think any warm up time will benefit them.

Get to know your system , experiment. and see what works for you.

But the original question was around the uniti and whether that should be turned off, which isn't getting addressed. Definetly talk to the dealer, it maybe a faulty uniti if it gets that hot.

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
I leave all my naim gear on all of the time.

Quiescant current taken by my gear is 11W for my power amp and the same again for my Napsc/Hicap and 202. So a meaty 22w.

Wow!!

When listening I must turn my volume down so as to preserve the amount of "work" my power amp has to do and scrounge the pennies.

My CDP gets turned off, takes about 4hrs to reach optimal sound to my ears. Sounds great at cold, just keeps opening up and getting better.

I replaced 11 halogen downlights in my kitchen 100w each (1100w total) and replaced the with 2d CF fittings 18w each so 1082w saved, think I can sleep with a clean consiance at night.

Having said that I could always go "green" and get an elctric car that requires juice from the coal fired power stations, which have coal delivered by diesel trains or diesel boats with engines running at approx 40% efficiency.

manicm

staggerlee:JamesOK:chebby:

I thought the stereotypical image was that Naim is best and everything else is dismissed as being rubbish ! (A bit like Apple fans)

They wish. That's Linn. Naim comes a distant second.

basshead

Mar 4, 2009
Visit site
staggerlee:

On a serious note, with my system, i find that the warm up time can vary depending on how long it has been off. If a few days pass and i haven't used it, then it can take 2-3 hours to warm up. The difference in sound quality is very apparent. It sound's harsh and bright and then warms up considerably. I turn it off when i go on a 2 week vacation and it can take 3 to 5 days to get up and running again.

maybe it's just your ears re-adjusting to the sound? a bit like 'burn in' in electronics and cables?

Dazmb

Aug 26, 2007
Visit site
I've just bought a Nene Valley Audio amp. The designer/maker Richard Dunn recommends his amps are left on. His latest range of uber high-end amps don't even have a power on/off switch! With no ventilation slots in his amps (which are totally sealed wood/perspex cases) I was concerned about leaving it on for obvious reasons of cost and safety. Here was his reply to the question of leaving it on/switching it off debate:

"There are two reasons to leave it on :-
1/ it stresses an amplifier to keep turning it on and off, especially PSU caps. An amplifier is far happier just left quiescent.
2/ the amplifier will take at least 30 mins to warm up for best sound each time you switch it on, and if left off for over a week can take a day or two to come back on song."

Fantastic amp btw the NVA AP20 - very pleased with it.

John Duncan

I leave the Uniti on all the time. Though my mother in law was staying this week and slept in the living room, and asked if there was any way of turning off "the flashing orange light" (which was my Airport Express misbehaving...)

RodhasGibson

Oct 10, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:I leave the Uniti on all the time. Though my mother in law was staying this week and slept in the living room, and asked if there was any way of turning off "the flashing orange light" (which was my Airport Express misbehaving...) I guess it must have known she was coming then John eh
emotion-1.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts