Should I upgrade?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi Guys

I'm after some advice here, currently in the process of upgrading the denon seperates in my system, have just bought a Denon TU1800DAB Tuner and about to purchase a Marantz PM6004 and my dilemma is whether to sell my now 30 year old B&W DM14's in favour of a new pair of Q Accoustics 2020i speakers as you can guess who's moaning about the size of the DM14's?...

All advice gratefully received, Cheers.

Welcome to the forum.

For the sake of your sanity I suggest you go and listen to some smaller speakers. Better still take the moaner with you and listen to some smaller speakers.

You do not mention a budget but look out for the Boston Acoustics standmounts as well. :)

Baldrick1

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Understand where you are coming from. Have had the same problem in that department over a number of years. Was forced to go 'down' from KEF Coda 3s to Mission 760is for the same reason but recently have had success in moving back up to a pair of KEF Q300s...which the other half thinks are absolutely brilliant.

Think that the recommendation of taking the other half to listen is a very good idea.

Also recommend that you include the KEF Q Series (Q100 & Q300) in your listening list, if the budget will allow as they are supposed to go very well with Marantz. I was looking at less pricey speakers but gave them a whirl...and have not regretted it...even though they cost more than I was planning to spend. :)

Good Luck

Balders

matthewpiano

Yep, auditioning is the key. Try the Qs, but I think you'll need to look a bit further up the tree. I'd include the KEF Q100/Q300 and the B&W 685. I have a pair of the B&Ws and they are tremendous speakers (about to go back on to my main system tomorrow).

T

the record spot

chequers64 said:
Hi Guys

I'm after some advice here, currently in the process of upgrading the denon seperates in my system, have just bought a Denon TU1800DAB Tuner and about to purchase a Marantz PM6004 and my dilemma is whether to sell my now 30 year old B&W DM14's in favour of a new pair of Q Accoustics 2020i speakers as you can guess who's moaning about the size of the DM14's?...

All advice gratefully received, Cheers.

What room size do you have? If you're looking at the Q 2010s, then have a look at the Tannoys I use; the Revolution DC4 are terrific little speakers and look great (IMO) too. See my avatar to the left. A very clean look to their design but sound excellent. Big debates on the bass they deliver, but in a smaller room, mine fire across the narrow part of my lounge, about 6 or 7 feet from me, and they really sing. Bass can be pretty accomplished too - movies are excellent and albums with a very prominent bass (e.g. Led Zeppelin II) go nicely deep without leaving me wishing for more. Sure there will be bigger speakers that plumb the depths, but the midrange is where the bulk of the music is at. This speaker excels in this regard, but in my view it excels across the board too. Form and function that would likely suit your requirements too. The Qs are very good too and Q are an excellent company.

A

Anonymous

Hi Guys

Many thanks for all the advice and I now have a way forward and will take the better half with me to listen to some carefully selected units.

Much Aprreciated.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts