Should I upgrade my CRT to an LCD??

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I currently have a Toshiba 36ZP18Q CRT television, but feel it is time to move on and enter the world of LCD. Like many people I do not want to give SKY any more money than I already do for my Sky+, and therefore do not want want to get a SKY HD box, in fact I am considering cancelling Sky completely.

The set-up I am considering is the Sony KDL-40W2000 paired with the Sony RDR-HXD970 freeview box with hard disk and DVD recorder.

Will I really see a big difference for the money?? Am I better off getting the new Sony KDL-40W3000 with built in HD receiver??

I tend to use the TV for mainstream television, with some DVD's and PS3 / Wii.

A

Anonymous

If I had a 36 CRT Toshiba and my main diet was going to be Freeview and watching standard DVDs, I would stick to exactly that set up and not waste your money, unecessarily, on upgrading just yet anyway, to either an LCD ot Plasma TV of around 37-42inches. Your Toshiba is a good TV and if you say coupled it with a good PVR ( Personal Video Recorder) like the HUMAX with inbuilt FREEVIEW for around £199.00 I think you will be more than pleased. Of course new TV's take up much less space, but if that too isn't a concern with your 36inc Toshiba, then my advise is don't let go of it.

Later on when it finally dies or you do decide to go for one of the newer TV's, you will still be able to keep your HUMAX and connnect it to a then more suitable, and more technilogical more advance LCD/Plasma TV which can match the quality , if not better, your current Toshiba picture.

I upgraded recently to a Samsung PS42Q97HDX Plasma from my old 28ins Thomson CRT which was on its way out, and I am very pleased by the Standard Definition picture through my very first, still going strong, AMSTRAD SKYDIGI BOX, even though I do begrudge paying SKY £38 a month for the prvilidge of having the SKY sports package which I wouldn't have at all if it weren't for my young son liking his football.....and then SETANTA have hit the bandwagon now and SKY have had to forfeit certain matches to them.....It's all a Swizz!!!...and then you're having to pay the BBC license fee too....We should all refuse to pay that even if it mean't say 10m people going to prison which of course we won't ..............because there's no room in our prisons anyway.

Anyway, I digress. In your case, hang on to what you have and hook up a good FREEVIEW PVR

A

Anonymous

Until HD becomes mainstream, then stick with your CRT. With a 36" screen about the only real gain you might notice is space!! The only question mark is whether you will want to start using the PS3 as a Blu-ray player.for films.

As for Tallyho subsidising his son to the tune of £38 per month, there is another alternative that may work for you both. We recently took up BT Vision. Neither of us like being tied in to either Sky or Virgin and their crazy priced monthly plans. BTVision gives us a PVR so up to two chanels can be recorded to its hard drive at the same time and( by keeping my panny dvd as another freeview box ) watching a third. The Electronic Program Guide is pretty good as well.

The big advantage is that the add-ons are monthly. Cancel Setanta in May and start it again in September for example. With the ability to record what I want, when I want, plus my DVD collection, that is my Murdoch/Branson free viewing sorted. Its not perfect. It is after all BT.

TRENDING THREADS