Should I update speakers/amp?

YDB28

Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys,

Long-time lurker, first-time poster.

I recently had a listening session to my Hi-Fi set up (Cambridge Ausdio Azur 640A V1, Marantz C6004, Wharfedale Diamond 9.1s). I had been toying with the idea of upgrading my system (although I'm still in a 'budget' stage) and certain things are pushing me that way now. I'm happy with the CD player which is fantastic. I wanted to upgrade my amp to the Marantz PM6005, which seems to be the class leader within my budget. The bonus of a digital input is very tempting, plus being able to match with the CD player. It's just a matter of selling the existing amp now :/

Aside from the amp upgrade, I noticed that there was a slight hissing sound coming from my left speaker. I checked every possible solution and it doesn't seem to the the speaker cable or the amp. It was only on certain notes (mainly electric guitar, particularly the opening chord of Jeff Buckley's 'So Real') but it was surely noticeable. Few questions:

- Has anyone had a slight hiss/distortion on that song, or anything similar? Strange question I know but I wouldn't know the exact frequency of the chord or whether that would be an issue. They're great speakers otherwise.

-If I was to upgrade amps to the Marantz, would the Wharfedale 9.1s be good enough to match, or should I take this issue as a sign to replace them (with either Q Acoustics 2010i or 2020i)? Has anyone had any experience with these speakers either alone or paired with the Marantz set-up?

I'm a little lost here so any advice is appreciated guys.

For what it's worth, I'm using decent grade speaker cable but using the stock brass jumper bars between the binding posts at the moment.

Cheers,

YDB.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Hi, welcome to the Forums.

The Marantz PM6005 would be a great buy, and would work a treat with the CD6004. If your budget can stretch to it, then yes, I think upgrading the speakers to one of the Q Acoustic models would be worthwhile too.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site

before you do anything you need to sort out the noise/distortion issue.

You need to work out which component is causing the issue by swapping left and right back through you system in a logical manner. Ie, if you disconnect the speaker cables at the amp end and swap left to right, you should be able to tell if the problem is in the speakers or further up the chain.

Then do the same with the interconnect and it should become clear what is causing the issue.

When you play Buckley's 'So Real' is it a hissing sound, like snake? If so that is sibilance. That suggests your system has a bright, almost metallicy edge to it.

I've not heard it on Buckley's "Grace" album, but used to experience alittle on very compressed recordings, usually poor remastered versions.

If you have headphones use them to check the channels, and switch around the inputs.

If it is sibilance then change the amp, as Cambridge IMO can be proned to this.

matthewpiano

As long as your Wharfedale 9.1s are working properly, they are every bit as good as the Q Acoustics 2010i and 2020i. In some respects they are better, and I don't think you'll gain much by changing. I'd focus on improving the amp first, then wait until you can afford a more meaningful speaker upgrade.

Regarding the amp, the Marantz PM6005 is very good, but explore your options before jumping for the so-called 'class leader'.

rainsoothe

matthewpiano said:
As long as your Wharfedale 9.1s are working properly, they are every bit as good as the Q Acoustics 2010i and 2020i. In some respects they are better, and I don't think you'll gain much by changing. I'd focus on improving the amp first, then wait until you can afford a more meaningful speaker upgrade.

Regarding the amp, the Marantz PM6005 is very good, but explore your options before jumping for the so-called 'class leader'.

yup!! I think the Q Acoustics would just be a sidways move. But do try to audition. Later you could upgrade speakers to Dali Zensor 3 or XTZ 93.23 mkII.

Alternatively, you could perhaps find a Marantz PM6004 used or at lower cost - if you don't need the DAC in the PM6005, and wait till you have enough money to go for something like Creek Evolution 50A, Arcam A19, XTZ A100D3 or Naim Nait 5si or whatever 700-1000 pound amp suits your tastes.

TRENDING THREADS