Should I swap my Onkyo 605 for a denon 5805

indyjase

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
Should I swap my Onkyo 605 for a denon 5805 that I've been offered. I can live without bitstreaming if there is going to be a huge step up in quaility. My sources used with it will be samsung bdp 1400 bluray player, Toshiba A3 HDDVD player and a HTPC with bluray drive (upgrading to an ati 5000 series graphics card to get lossless through HDMI). I am really tempted as I used a denon 4806 for a while and really loved it. Used with the same sources and was really impressed. Your thoughts would be really welcome. Thanks.

Ronald Archiebald

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Indyjase,

Yes on both counts (and by a HUGE margin!!!)

Do you have a rack with suficient space (and strength!) that would take it?

This makes my Onkyo 875 look puny in comparison considering it's twice the size and weight!!
emotion-7.gif

Ronald

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
indyjase:Should I swap my Onkyo 605 for a denon 5805 that I've been offered. I can live without bitstreaming if there is going to be a huge step up in quaility. My sources used with it will be samsung bdp 1400 bluray player, Toshiba A3 HDDVD player and a HTPC with bluray drive (upgrading to an ati 5000 series graphics card to get lossless through HDMI). I am really tempted as I used a denon 4806 for a while and really loved it. Used with the same sources and was really impressed. Your thoughts would be really welcome. Thanks.

Most importantly, what speakers do you have?

indyjase

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
thanks for the replies guys!!!! AT the moment I am using polk audios in a 7.2 configuration. I am looking to get M & K's the beginning of next year. I know what you mean as well about the weight. I will build a custom unit to house everything super reinforced in a new room to get good airflow. Happy also to find out that the 5805 is the MK II with the 1080p24 and lossless upgrade as well so it seems like a no brainer then really!!!!!

Ronald Archiebald

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Indyjase,

Go for it - it will beat most new amps easily.

As you owned a Denon previously, you are aware of it's warm and smooth tonal character.

The 5805 will drive those M&K's beautifully.

How much are you getting this, if I may ask?

Ronald

indyjase

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
Thanks Ronald. I thought as much. I'll have to build a new unit to house everything, but thats always fun. Any suggestions on great speaker pairing with this beast. I always fancied the M & K SS150 THX, but am totally open to try anything to get the most out. Have decided that even if the speakers are a tad pricey will either look for some that are used or just get them as I can afford them. The new room will be a basement with the HT room in the middle around the 6m x 4m size. The goal being to use my samsung 46 inch 71 series until I go further down the line for a 1080p PJ. Once again thanks for the help!

indyjase

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
Cheap is the best answer!. Straight swap for my onkyo. It is reconditioned but with everything in mint condition. It just happened last night that I was offered the denon from an old friend who owed me a favor, so I thought rather than jump straight in do a little research and ask you guys here what you thought. My gut told me to go with it and I was glad that it was the MK II, that was a big plus for me.

TRENDING THREADS