Should I splash out, or be sensible?

mattc76

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
Now then, I'm on the cusp of buying some 686's for £270 for my NAD c352 - i really liked the sound when demoed at home but possibly slightly bass heavy in places BUT I REALLY liked their looks especially their compact size so I would be willing to make that small compromise (I could also bung the ports) etc.

Then I was shown the CM1's for £500 - WOW these looked FANTASTIC - small discrete and frankly beautiful. The shop guy said they are in a different league and would be bass tighter, more detailed and more lush and would have more to offer with a better amp in the future. Now I've heard people say that you can never spend too much on speakers so I'm wondering whether I should take these home for a listen. £500 would be a bit of a squeeze, but do-able, but then I might feel guilty OR shall I just get the 686's which I really liked? I feel like this is a bit of a slippery slope.....when will it end??!!

Surely someones been in a similar situation? What did you do? HELP?

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="mattc76"]
Now then, I'm on the cusp of buying some 686's for £270 for my NAD c352 - i really liked the sound when demoed at home but possibly slightly bass heavy in places BUT I REALLY liked their looks especially their compact size so I would be willing to make that small compromise (I could also bung the ports) etc.

Then I was shown the CM1's for £500 - WOW these looked FANTASTIC - small discrete and frankly beautiful. The shop guy said they are in a different league and would be bass tighter, more detailed and more lush and would have more to offer with a better amp in the future. Now I've heard people say that you can never spend too much on speakers so I'm wondering whether I should take these home for a listen. £500 would be a bit of a squeeze, but do-able, but then I might feel guilty OR shall I just get the 686's which I really liked? I feel like this is a bit of a slippery slope.....when will it end??!!

Surely someones been in a similar situation? What did you do? HELP?
[/quote]

Well, first off, you should definitely listen to them, then you can decide if the stretch is really worth it.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
Well, speaker technology doesn't seem to change that quickly......why not go somewhere in between....685s?
I've started threads elsewhere on this forum to try and get to what is a justifiable amount to spend based, say on the number of cds you've got or hours you spend listening to your hifi. No clear answers were forthcoming. Just spend what you think you can justify.

A

Anonymous

second the above. It would definitely be good if your speaker choice will be able to survive the next upgrade to your electronics whatever that maybe..............

mattc76

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="PJPro"]Well, speaker technology doesn't seem to change that quickly......why not go somewhere in between....685s?

[/quote]

Thanks for quick responses! The 685's were just too big for the lounge (4 x 4m with a lot of stuff in it) and I definately wouldn't get the approval (if you know what i mean
emotion-5.gif
)

The size (and discreteness) of the 686's and CM1's is perfect.

A

Anonymous

Oh CM1's for sure. You'll be able to go that much longer before needing an upgrade, and they sound much nicer to my ear.

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
With 'speakers dictating the sound of your system more than any other component I think you should compare the 686 with the CM1 and see if you think the extra cash is worth it for the CM1. If you go for the cheaper option, although you like the 686 it will bug you and you'll think 'what if...' Invest as much as you can afford on 'speakers and they will reward you and put a big grin on your face for years.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Whats £250 or so difference ... ? 80 pints of fosters, half a weeks or so wages, no food for 4 weeks ... go for it.

... then, after you bought them, you kick yourself because you by chance hear Rega's R3 on your next visit to a dealer and forgot to listen to them before buying the B&W's
emotion-11.gif

A

Anonymous

CM1s provided you actually like them. Having a very good pair of speakers is a must, even for a modest CDP and amp. You'll never regret it...been there, bought the cheaper speakers and changed them within 24 months on both occasions.

A

Anonymous

250 pounds will feed approximately 1 Jade Goody for 1 WHOLE day. errrr ok splash out.

mattc76

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="drummerman"]

... then, after you bought them, you kick yourself because you by chance hear Rega's R3 on your next visit to a dealer and forgot to listen to them before buying the B&W's
emotion-11.gif

[/quote]

Floorstanders definately wouldn't get past "quality control" (if you know what i mean
emotion-5.gif
). This is partly why the CM1's appeal to me.

Looks like i'll have to ask for another home demo then!!
emotion-19.gif

Thanks for the reponses!
emotion-21.gif

HDNumpty

Jan 17, 2008
Visit site
The CMs are a great choice for budget seperates and have the ability to be paired with more expensive electronics in the future. I run them with a Marantz PM7200 & Cambridge 640c and they sound fab. Try Custom Design in Newcastle for some great-looking stands, too. I've spend about £150 on stands to make the most of them. When I demo'd the speakers they were paired with £400-£600 Arcam electronics so I know there's more to come from them. I plan to upgrade to Naim kit by 2010 but I won't be changing the speakers.

Buying cheaper speakers now is false economy, you'll be getting the upgrade bug within 18 months!!!
emotion-1.gif

mattc76

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
Actually, just had the CM1s home for a coupla days. To be honest there didn't seem to be an enormous difference between these and the 686's (from what I could here). OK the detail was possibly a bit better and they weren't quite as bassey but when I hooked them up I was hoping for an instant WOW that I didn't get (unlike when I first put the 686's on) - I think they probably are slightly better but I don't think its worth double the price. Also I can't help thinking that CM1 technology is "getting on a bit" whereas the 686's is a bit "newer". I also managed to find the HiFi World review: http://bwmedia.keycast.com/download/Libraries/3/HI-FI_World_686_Review_March_2008_PDF.pdf. of the 686's and it was very favourable - and I think my NAD C352 (80W/chan) has just about enough power to drive them.

So I think its the 686's for me.......unless anyone can persuade me otherwise!?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="mattc76"]

[/quote]

Why ask for trouble when you're happy? If you like 'em buy 'em and enjoy music.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="mattc76"]

[/quote]

Why ask for trouble when you're happy? If you like 'em buy 'em and enjoy music.
[/quote]

because speakers are like a box of chocolates you never know what you're going to get.

(unless you audition them of course)

ok sorry.

Ps DM i just noticed the proac 110's tonal balance is massively improved with t'he 'right' jumper cable. Dealer had some cheap copper, poorly insulated which i switched with some qed wire (from old speaker cable) and now the bass is far more impressive and overall much more even tonal balance. Is this something that you have experienced??

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="JAXON5"]because speakers are like a box of chocolates you never know what you're going to get. (unless you audition them of course) ok sorry. Ps DM i just noticed the proac 110's tonal balance is massively improved with t'he 'right' jumper cable. Dealer had some cheap copper, poorly insulated which i switched with some qed wire (from old speaker cable) and now the bass is far more impressive and overall much more even tonal balance. Is this something that you have experienced??[/quote]

I've never played around with cables jumpers Jaxon5 and am happy with the sound I get. Perhaps I will try some time but I wont start a thread on it
emotion-7.gif

A

Anonymous

[quote user="JAXON5"]because speakers are like a box of chocolates you never know what you're going to get. (unless you audition them of course) ok sorry. Ps DM i just noticed the proac 110's tonal balance is massively improved with t'he 'right' jumper cable. Dealer had some cheap copper, poorly insulated which i switched with some qed wire (from old speaker cable) and now the bass is far more impressive and overall much more even tonal balance. Is this something that you have experienced??[/quote]

I've never played around with cables jumpers Jaxon5 and am happy with the sound I get. Perhaps I will try some time but I wont start a thread on it
emotion-7.gif

[/quote]

fair enough DM. Anyway i was happy and now even happier! was surprised at the difference it made. I was happy with the sound as it was with minor quibble about treble being slighly pronounced but now its perfect! definitely decided to buy them.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="JAXON5"]fair enough DM. Anyway i was happy and now even happier! was surprised at the difference it made. I was happy with the sound as it was with minor quibble about treble being slighly pronounced but now its perfect! definitely decided to buy them[/quote]

I think you made a good choice mate.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="mattc76"]
Actually, just had the CM1s home for a coupla days. To be honest there didn't seem to be an enormous difference between these and the 686's (from what I could here). OK the detail was possibly a bit better and they weren't quite as bassey but when I hooked them up I was hoping for an instant WOW that I didn't get (unlike when I first put the 686's on) - I think they probably are slightly better but I don't think its worth double the price. Also I can't help thinking that CM1 technology is "getting on a bit" whereas the 686's is a bit "newer". I also managed to find the HiFi World review: http://bwmedia.keycast.com/download/Libraries/3/HI-FI_World_686_Review_March_2008_PDF.pdf. of the 686's and it was very favourable - and I think my NAD C352 (80W/chan) has just about enough power to drive them.

[/quote]

Buy the cheaper ones. Although don't let it get to you later on, or when you upgrade your amp or source. The CM1's will certainly improve with better electronics...far more than the 686's

As for technology...Speakers at this level are not really subject to the same level of technology shift as electronics.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts