Should I Sacrifice Sound For A Better Picture?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am currently upgrading from The Samsung LE40A616 and I am thinking about the new Samsung 9 series(Read some glowing reviews). If I go for the 9 series I would have enough money left over for the Sony STRDA3200ESS Reciever and a budget pair of Speakers(May go for the Sony RHT-G900 System though) But recently my Old man told me I should go for one of the more expensive Pioneer LCD's which produce stunning images but a purchase would leave me out of pocket for a good surround sound set up. Any input on this subject would be appreciated, as I am slightly confused as in what to do.

matthewpiano

I'd go for the Samsung with the Sony receiver. I don't think you'll be making big sacrifices on the picture front. The G900 stand is a great piece of kit and cracking value at the moment (we're doing it for £399 at present and its been flying out of the door) but if you have the space, a dedicated amp and speakers will always sound even better.

A

Anonymous

matthewpiano:I'd go for the Samsung with the Sony receiver. I don't think you'll be making big sacrifices on the picture front. The G900 stand is a great piece of kit and cracking value at the moment (we're doing it for £399 at present and its been flying out of the door) but if you have the space, a dedicated amp and speakers will always sound even better.

Agreed. Though I wouldn't trust the view on the G900. You'd be better off getting a receiver and a proper 5.1 set up. The claims made by the producers of these systems don't hold much value against the conventional speaker set up.

A

Anonymous

The G900 for £399. How do you mean "We're doing it for £399" are you a dealer? I am new to these forums, sorry. My Old man has just purchased that model for £499. I have a 2 year old son and the Missus doesn't really want Speakers round the room, so the G900 could be the perfect solution.

matthewpiano

Davey1984:
The G900 for £399. How do you mean "We're doing it for £399" are you a dealer? I am new to these forums, sorry. My Old man has just purchased that model for £499. I have a 2 year old son and the Missus doesn't really want Speakers round the room, so the G900 could be the perfect solution.

Yes, I work in a Sony Centre which is why you'll never see me make recommendations about specific TV models on here because it could be construed as advertising and because my views could easily be regarded as biased. I would strongly recommend looking at a proper amplifier and one of the style speaker packages to get the absolute best sound and the flexibility of future upgrading. I don't want to get into trading on here because its against the rules and by its nature our business tends to serve a fairly tight geographical area. I'm sure the G900 is available for good prices in all sorts of places, though the prices won't necessarily be the same in all Sony Centres. In hindsight I perhaps shouldn't have made reference to our current price at all.

Octopo, I merely meant that the G900 is a cracking piece of kit for what it is. I would never advise anyone to choose it over a proper 5.1 set-up if space and funds allow. I agree entirely with you about that.

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
I have yet to see a half decent review of the Pioneers. I lot of Pioneer fanboys have said that the pic will be good 'cos the Kuros are but I'm not convinced. The best LCD I've seen was the Sammy 786, I've heard the 9 series are marginally better. If it's LCD you're set on, I would stick with that (I prefer plasma I'm afraid) and get a decent 5.1 setup. Those stands and soundbars are okay if you sit square on in the right shaped room but if you sit off centre, they just sound like noise coming from up front. You can't beat a true 5.1 setup and you don't have to spend a fortune to achieve it. The Jamo HCS5 A102 speaker package (or something from Tannoy or Mordaunt Short) coupled to a Yamaha 763 or Denon 1909 should do nicely.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the input lads. I have decided to go for a Quality surround sound. I am going to go for the Pioneer PDPLX5090 which was a hard choice for me as I never thought I would switch to Plasma from LCD, but I think I may have seen the light and the light was good I said lol :) I felt that while actually been sat directly in line with the Sony RHT-G900 it was a good bit of kit for what it is, it had sufficent bass, but the way my front Room is, the TV is not line with where I sit which could create a problem for the G900 to deliver a believable surround sound. After reading review after review about the Sony STR-DA2400(All of which were glowing reviews, Including a 5 star review from WhatHiFi) I decided to hit the purchase button with a feeling that I have made the right decision. I am undecided on the speakers yet but they will have to be under £350.

Pioneer PDPLX5090(Just need to sell the LE40A656 and a Guitar)

Pioneer BDP-51FD Blu Ray DVD Player(Already Purchased from Play.com)

Sony STR-DA2400ES(Already Purchased from Play.com)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts