Should I return my Sony KDL-32EX703?

Liam19

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
I've already posted about my experience with this TV in the thread titled 'Sony KDL-32EX703', but I felt it was time to start a new one for this.

I bought the set online just over 2 weeks ago from Amazon, for the bargain price of £499 (a fraction of the RRP). I didn't audition a set instore (which now seems a mistake), and was aware of potential inconsistencies with the backlight before I ordered. Put simply, I just hoped for the best, and looked forward to getting a high-end, WHF 5-star rated set for such a good price.

First things first, the screen has its positives (too numerous to list). I like the set a lot in most ways. But for over 2 weeks I've been debating with myself whether or not this is acceptable to me:

5001863953_c3a188098a_z.jpg

5001867425_1b01c3df22_z.jpg

5001862951_20e65476fe_z.jpg

My instinct tells me this isn't good enough. But then, since this is the first LCD I've owned, I'm concerned as to whether it might be a problem I'll encounter to some degree on any LCD (I know Sony have put this down to 'limitations of the technology' in the past. I've grown accustomed to the uniform black levels delivered by my Panasonic plasma, so this came as a bit of a shock to the system. I admit that, compared to some cases of backlight bleed that can be found online, this is relatively minor. But it's certainly enough to seriously concern me.

Unfortunately, that's not all:

5002469164_4368cc774c_z.jpg

This ugly 'striping' effect (to go with the cloud in the bottom right-hand corner, which is constantly there) appeared several times during the opening title sequence of the Quantum of Solace Blu-ray. What's more, after testing the set with almost my entire Blu-ray collection, I'm really not that impressed with overall black detail. Yes, blacks are quite deep, but there's often little or no detail to be found, and things like fade-ins/outs are very patchy looking.

One more thing (I know I'm moaning now):

5002471030_db866cf834_z.jpg

Are viewing angles this limited on all LCDs, or is it just an LED backlight thing? Because it seems the only way the image looks decent is if I'm sat perfectly level with the TV, and directly in front of it. Anywhere else and this unsightly green mist creeps in.

Out of interest, picture settings are as follows: Picture Mode: Standard, Backlight: 5, Contrast: 60, Brightness: 50, Colour: 60. I've tinkered and tinkered with every setting there is but the problem is here to stay. Lowering the backlight doesn't eliminate the problem at all, and just sucks all the punch out of the image.

So my questions are:

- Am I just being stupidly picky?

- Or do I return this set while I still can? Does it look good enough to you?

I eagerly await, and greatly appreciate, any responses.

Liam19

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
Thanks JD, I'm pretty sure that's what I'm gonna do now, hopefully Amazon will let me return it without a fuss.

I'm stumped as to what to replace it with, though. Considering the 503, but then I'm tempted by the class leader, the Panasonic TX-L32D25, but it's a fair bit pricier.

Can anyone recommend a 32-inch set that will be good for PS3/Blu-ray, Freeview (preferably HD) and for use as a PC monitor? Around the £500 mark? And one that you've seen/used that doesn't suffer from these backlighting issues?

EDIT: Just saw the Sony KDL-32EX503 on Amazon for £472.67, whereas the 703 has shot back up to £609! Decisions!

John Duncan

Well my NX503 (450 from Richers) would tick all those boxes, with the caveat that it's 'only' 50Hz, and I haven't plugged a Bluray in it yet so can't say (though Lovefilm's HD trailers look spectacular, albeit probably only 720p).

Liam19

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
That's a pretty great deal bigboss, cheers for the link. To be honest though, I don't need another Blu-ray player (already have a BD80 and a PS3) and I don't really wanna spend that much either.

I've always fancied a Samsung set, just because of how gorgeous most of them are!

Liam19

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
Because Amazon don't offer replacements unless it's due to an error on their part. To be honest, I just want to get my money back now, while I can, because I'm concerned Amazon will want to establish the fault in order to replace the set, in which case they'll direct me to Sony, who'll probably deny there's a fault at all.

I'd rather simply get a refund, and then start from scratch. I'd consider going for another 703, except that the price has now jumped to £609. I'm more tempted by the 32EX503, which has come down even further to £472.67 (it was the same as the 703 when I bought it).

kev g

Mar 4, 2008
Visit site
I`ve had my 32EX503 for 5 days now - Freeview pictures are very good - sharp & clear, Freeview HD is absolutely stunning. The colours are excellent & sound is alot better than I was expecting. I have no clouding issues. I have an upscaling dvd recorder & again the picture quality through this is very good.

This is watching the set more or less straight on as it`s at the end of my room. I have noticed though that the greater the viewing angle the more it looks washed out & loses its contrast.

The other set I considered buying was the Samsung LE32C650.

A

Anonymous

hey Liam19

Return the set now.

I speak from experience i had 4 sonys that had backlight bleed as you are suffering from 1 was worse the other 3 not so bad as yours mine were w5500. I ended up getting a refund and went down samsung route also backlight bleed and stuck and dead pixels(had these on the sonys too) after that i went to phillips which was terrible with blacks that was the 7404 really grey and there was no backlight control!

I went travelling for some time so took 6 months out of it after returning the phillips on return i bought another sony after glowing reviews and what hifi had no issues with the backlight that was the 40w5810 which out of the box was great but some time down the linee the backlight is getting worse not as bad as yours though but I fear it will be at some point!! Plus I am getting smearing on motion too which i am sure i did not get with the others!! But 8 months on I have still not done anything as I got fobbed off a couple of months back I will do at some point but it such a hassle after some time I am sad to say!! When the winter months roll in i will do something as I hope to be home before 8 at night and not be a wreck at the weekend

All lcds suffer from side view and they always look worse when they are at your home!! One thing i will say is your contrast is very low probably why you lose the punch when the backlight is low try it around 90 and in cinema mode! But i fear you main issue is that you are so used to plasma which is where i will go next time around!!

Hope this helps mate

Liam19

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for your comments kev g and Snakey.

I've applied for a refund through Amazon, printed off my return label for DHL, and will shortly be boxing the TV back up. Hopefully it'll be picked up tomorrow or Tuesday. Here's hoping things go smoothly.

As for the next step, the most obvious candidate is the 32EX503, since it's the model I was initially going to buy before the 703 became the same price. But, after your experience, Snakey, as well as all the others I've read about, I'm more than a little concerned about picking another Sony. It seems like one big lottery to get a good LCD set these days - doesn't really seem acceptable to me at all!

The Samsung LE32C650 is another option, although its lack of Freeview HD is less than ideal. I also looked at the discontinued Philips 32PFL7404, which has had excellent reviews and can be picked up from Richer (if I manage to get one) for just £399.95. Okay, it doesn't have Freeview HD either, but for that price I might not even care!

Decisions!!!

John Duncan

Whist I can't speak for long-term backlighting issues, I think I'd take the sony over the philips just for the HD tuner. It's certainly better than I was expecting for 450 quid (and kicked the butt of all the similarly priced TVs in Richers, the usual caveat about shop displays notwithstanding).

A

Anonymous

Liam19

Be careful with the phillips mate i had that in the 40" great pic but using 100htz is very false looking with a lot of artifacts in pic also very little backlight control on best power, best pic, cannot remember the third but the tv adjusts itself within those settings ie you do not get a setting from 0 to 10 or whatever. Also the panel was uniform no clouding or bleed but all a bit gret not very deep blacks. But for me the worse thing was the input lag with 100htz engaged it was around 130ms very bad in bioshock it took ages for you to turn when you moved the control stick!!

Liam19

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
kev g - So it does! For some reason I thought it didn't! :S Anyways, lovely looking TV - in another league in terms of styling!

Snakey - Thanks for the advice! The Philips is kind of the wild card anyway, since the model I mentioned is discontinued.

I have a few days off work now, so I think I'll visit some dealers. I have a Panasonic dealer down the road so I should hopefully get to see the L32D25 in action (and maybe see about a finance plan).

The Sony is now all boxed up - here's hoping it'll be the last time I have to re-pack a brand new TV!

A

Anonymous

Liam19

Hi again mate

just a little info regarding samsung I had audio lag issues with my 6 series while i had it!! As speakers in tvs are tinny (especially samsung) i was using my onkyo stereo via optical or analog obviously only in sterio!!! I really need a proper sound set up one day but I am sure the house bunnys would love that hehehehe.... As on my stereo there was no lag function which I understand most recievers/Amps have I had a really annoying issue the sound came before the pic so the lip sync was always off!!!! As i understand it samsund apply a delay to their internal speakers but not the sound outputs!!! this may now have changed as this was a year ago!!

I just do not want to see you make the wrong choice mate!!

Jamie.

Liam19

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
Thanks Snakey - it seems as though there's nary a set out there that does everything really well! And the fact that one person can pick up a perfect example of one model, and another can pick up a duff one, makes the whole thing even more of a lottery!

Anyhow, DHL collected the 703 today, so as soon as I get refunded (which will hopefully be soon, and without fuss), then I'm back to square one!

A

Anonymous

The Samsung I had (46C750) had the facilty to delay the sound through the optical output.

As an aside. I had issues with audio delay on Blu-ray through my amp (Denon 2808) using hdmi. It was something to do with handshaking between the 1.4 hdmi on the tv and the 1.3 on the amp. I noticed the preset delay on the tv was 110ms. I applied this to the bd player and the sync became spot on.

A

Anonymous

i have the sony 46w4500 and have just ordered the 46hx903, never had any of these problems with the w4500, i would try and send it back if you can, also have a look at simply electronics, i have saved myself about £400 ordering the hx903 as part of a multi buy.

Liam19

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
Just got back from my local Panasonic dealer (bought the plasma from them, excellent service). They can offer the TX-L32D25 for £899, including free BD-45 Blu-ray player and 5-year warranty. I can also pay half now, and then pay it off within 12 months interest-free. While initially I was interested, the more I think about the more I can't bring myself to spend that much on a 32" bedroom TV. I could always sell the BD-45 (which I really don't need), but even so it's a pricey proposition. What's more, I'm not 100% sold on the looks - I can't seem to decide if I actually like it or not.

On the other hand, I've pretty much fallen in love with the looks of the Samsung UE32C6000 - it is gorgeous! And what's more, my local Currys have it for £549 (+ £100 cash back) - much more in line with what I'm willing to pay. I know WHF? cited backlighting issues with their review sample (something I obviously want to avoid like the plague), but it's such a stunning TV that I'm actually very tempted! I'm considering auditioning one (if I can find someone who will) so I can at least see if there is such a thing as one with an even backlight.

A

Anonymous

Return it. Mine is not like that. The backlighting is not uniform but is not that pronounced. I'm very happy with mine. I'd return it for another one.

A

Anonymous

Hey Liam19

Testing for backlight issues in store is not possible unless you can turn the lights off completely which of course is not possible and I am sure you will notice some kind of issue with the backlight on most of the sets especially the edge lit ones mate! I can only see my issue with the backlight when lights are low or off!

The Sonys use samsung panels or sharp panels so chances are the panel in the samsung may be the same as the sony you just sent back! Which of course does not mean you will have the same issue but backlight issues are more common these types of panels sony and samsung use (spva i think they are called). Samsung always seem to exhibit a purple hue to their blacks to me anyway seen this mentioned in reviews too!! Panasonic panels I am sure are supplied by LG who also supply phillips these types of panels tend to have better uniformity I know the phillips I had was near perfect even in a dark room just not as black as the sonys and samsungs.

I think you are so used to plasma that this will be an issue for you unless you get a good set! If you can stretch to a 37inch Panasonic are now selling 37 inch plasma to my surprise!! and not sure if they are still about but LG did have a 32 inch plasma out a year or so ago!!

I would steer clear of currys if i were you mate when i returned my samsung i had to force them to take the tv into a dark room to display the fault as they said it was fine!! Idiots!!! in the dark room they agreed!!The best option on the high street is richer sounds or maybe sevenoaks..

Don't forget mate tv's look ok in stores as you cannot play with them like you can at home:)

Hope this helps mate

jamie.

Liam19

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
Just a quick follow-up, tomorrow I'll be buying the Samsung UE32C6530, which a nearby dealer is offering with a 5 year warranty, and I can pay over 6 months with 0% finance :). What's more, the TV itself is, frankly, the most stunning flatscreen I've ever seen. And, to my surprise, I was seriously impressed with the Blu-ray picture on the showroom model (which I never usually am!) The viewing angle seemed superior to the Sony I had, and while I wouldn't really have been able to notice any backlight problems in that environment (if they were there), all-in-all the picture looked as good as the set.

Chatted with the dealer about the issues with the Sony - he said he'd seen examples from several manufacturers with such defects (brands which they had then ceased to stock), but also that Panasonic and Samsung were the best he'd seen in that regard (the only two brands the store currently stocks). Most likely just trying to get a sale, but he assured me that very few Samsung models were ever returned to the store with faults. So wish me luck getting a trouble-free one!

sonycentre

May 30, 2009
Visit site
Just to remind you that sony DO NOT use samsung or sharp panels.sony and samsung use the same factory to keep cost's down..they have had that agreement since 2004.most companys use the same "motherglass",and thats where it ends.Sony and sharp also share another factory to provide motherglass.Then the companys will use their own tech on tv's such as sony tech(bravia engine 3,motionflow,live colour)and so on.Think of it this way tyre's use more or less the same rubber.but firestorm..and so on use their own mouldings to make the tyre what it is.

A

Anonymous

sonycentre

Who makes the LCD panel for Sony then? Its is not Sony for sure they do not even make them for the PSP Samsung used to!!! Not sure who does now!! To my knowlege there are quite a few company's that make LCD panels some i have spotted ( I am sure I will be corrrected though:) )

1, Sharp.

2.LG.

3. Samsung.

4. AU Optronics.

5. IPS alpha tech

6.Chi Mei Optoelectronics

7. Chunghwa Picture Tubes

Of which I believe Sony use 1,3,4, and 6

Samsung among others also use panels from this list and I am sure there are others that make panels!!!

What do you mean by motherglass by the way? Regarding the bravia engine,motionflow,live colour and so on and so on all these are well and good but far less important than the panel itself!

Jamie.

TRENDING THREADS