Should I look to change my hifi?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I'm new to the forum so please go easy on me.

I currently have a Technics SC-EH770 hooked up to a Panasonic DVD player which has an integrated Dolby decoded. The Technics unit has 5.1 input but these are just phono inputs as it doesn't have a decoder. There are no optical inputs.

So I'm now thinking of getting a blueray player, probably a PS3 which I understand has a TOSLink/HDMI connection for 5.1 sound. Should I keep the Technics box and get some sort of external receiver/decoder or ditch the Technics box and get a home cinema package? I only want to spend 100-200 pounds, plus whatever I can get for the Technic box on ebay if I ditch it.

Part of my confusion comes over how the sound quality from the slim speaker that tend to come with home cinema systems can compare to the larger speakers that I have with my existing system.

Many thanks for any help, apologies if this is a very noobie question.

Andy

A

Anonymous

andyw999:
Hi,

I'm new to the forum so please go easy on me.

I currently have a Technics SC-EH770 hooked up to a Panasonic DVD player which has an integrated Dolby decoded. The Technics unit has 5.1 input but these are just phono inputs as it doesn't have a decoder. There are no optical inputs.

So I'm now thinking of getting a blueray player, probably a PS3 which I understand has a TOSLink/HDMI connection for 5.1 sound. Should I keep the Technics box and get some sort of external receiver/decoder or ditch the Technics box and get a home cinema package? I only want to spend 100-200 pounds, plus whatever I can get for the Technic box on ebay if I ditch it.

Part of my confusion comes over how the sound quality from the slim speaker that tend to come with home cinema systems can compare to the larger speakers that I have with my existing system.

Many thanks for any help, apologies if this is a very noobie question.

Andy

Jeez, sorry I have no idea - that kit sounds like AV to my hifi knowledge........

Interested to know what others think?
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

You won't get HD sound at that price, but for £200 I'd get the Sony 1200ES and use the speakers from your Technics to get 5.0 (the Technics had no sub, correct?) and get a sub later.

If you want HD sound look at the Sony 820 for around £280.ÿ

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
been cheking the manual for yout tecnhics...front speakers have biwiring...thats a bit tricky tosystem matching..Have same problem with sony mhc-3600,cant match speakers with anything else...

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the replies. I actually got the model number wrong it's a 760 not 770, I think the 770 is just a slightly newer version. The front speakers are 3 way each individually wired i.e. 3 pairs of wire. The impedance is 6ohms for the high and mid and 8ohms for the low. Is this good?

A

Anonymous

It's fine, look at my post above for receiver suggestions.

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
3 pairs...thats even worse..unless u connect a single pair to one of the entrances of the speakers, then add small cables connecting that entrance to the others.kinda like biwireable speakers running on a single wire.

A

Anonymous

ear:3 pairs...thats even worse..unless u connect a single pair to one of the entrances of the speakers, then add small cables connecting that entrance to the others.kinda like biwireable speakers running on a single wire.

But you need to watch out you don't drop the combined impedance too low if you try this. IMHO I don't think I'd risk it.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the help. I hope this isn't a dumb question, but if I went for the suggested Sony units, would I connect the speakers directly to it or hook the Sony up to the Technics via the 6 phono inputs and let the Technics unit sort the 3 way tri wired speakers? If I take out the Technics box would I need some additional hardware to split the signal to send to the tweeter, mid and bass speakers?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts