should i change speaker cable? (tellurium q blue)

krish123

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
i recently purchased some atlas equator 3 speaker cable 4m pair. the cable is fine however i have recently also changed my interconnect on my cdp to a significantly more expensive one van den hul first metal and it has made a very impressive difference to the sound. i was therefore wondering whether a change of speaker cable to sumthing more expensive say telleruim q blue would do more justice to my system as the investment in a more expensive interconnect seems to have paid off.

has any1 experience with telleruim q blue speaker cable or have any other reccomendations? also how wud u say the tellurium blue wud compare to the speaker cable i currently have?

i still have to buy a similiar level interconnect to connect to my power amps so that shud further increase the performance as i have been using stock interconnects before this change.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Telurium Q Blue is good cable, which has had a mixed reception on here......so you need to get a dealer to lend you some and try for yourself. At the end of the day, it's the only way.

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
cno,could you explain something for me?

when i purchased my speakers the sales assistant said that the bog standard qed speaker cables were what i required.

would i be right in saying that to appreciate a noticable differance in cables a near referance speaker set up is needed?

cheers

graham

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
GSB said:
cno,could you explain something for me?

when i purchased my speakers the sales assistant said that the bog standard qed speaker cables were what i required.

would i be right in saying that to appreciate a noticable differance in cables a near referance speaker set up is needed?

cheers

graham

Hi GSB

There's nothing like a good contentious question to get you going on a Sunday morning. ;)

First of all, you have to believe there is a difference.....which I do.

Secondly, even if you do, it has to be in balance with the cost of the system, and as you rightly say, whether the system will do justice to the changes.

My advice, for a style speaker package, is to avoid silver coated cable and go for simple multi-strand copper like QED 79 Strand, Linn K20, Van Damme UP LC-OFC, Chord Silver Screen.

IMO. As a system gets more expensive, it's worth experimenting, especially if 2 channel is a priority. I also think it's fine to use less expensive cable for the rear speakers.

I'm sorry if it sounds a little vague, but there is no definitive answer to this, as it's so subjective.

Cno

A

Anonymous

+1 Cno, just what i was going to say...

When i had my B&W M1's i used Chord Campana and it sounded pretty darn good.

Nice & cheap too!

GSB said:

cheers

graham

Hi Graham

Which QED speaker cables are you using?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the reply guys,i have upgrades in mind for the future,so trying to get the basics right before wasting even more money..... :cheers:

Rick i cant remember what qed cable it is,but it's white flat(as opposed to round)and was about £3pm..

Cables are no different to any other component: You either think they're worth upgrading or not. I believe they have limited traits. Generally speaking, and based on my own ears, cables have a slight tonal influence on your system. My previous interconnects were Chord Chrysalis which were good'uns, only changed to Merlin Chopins because my previous all-Arcam set-up needed a little more openness, likewise speaker cables.

Like Cno, I'd say 'suck it and see...' ;)

bigmoose

May 9, 2009
Visit site
+1 to Cno as well :)

I'm quite new to hifi, but I can hear the difference in cables. I believe it will depend on the type of music you listen to. I'm a big fan of the 80s but the recordings were really bad, so tbh, I can't hear any difference with such tracks even with different electronics.

If I switch to better recordings, I hear differences. I'm currently evaluating cables myself at the moment, and I'm switching cables and listening to the same tracks of KT Tunstall, Massive Attack and Gotham Project (my gf is starting to grow tired of those tracks). I can hear female voice are more forward and guitars have more impact with the Chord for example, while Audioquest offer more bass.. Not sure which is the better.

Anyway, I would not expect phenomenal changes unless you have a very good hearing (which I don't), just slight enhancement..

krish123

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
i defintely hear changes as my recent change of interconnect has for the better, so just thought the same would apply to speaker cable, which currently i have spent £9 a metre roughly.

also i have some musical fidelity speaker cable which is fantastic but doesnt reach to both speakers isit worth using it to the speaker it reaches and leaving the other the same?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts