Should I Bi amp?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hey Guys.

Reciently purchased the Rotel RB-06 power amp. Im using my RA-04 as the pre amp at the moment and I have noticed a big differance in my system. I am now thinking of trying to bi amp? Do you recomend it? Which amp should I use for the highs and which for the lows?

Thanks

Chris

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
i'd use the better amp for the treble which i believe is the RB-06 but you may find that is sounds better how you now have it. but worth a go if you have the cables or could borrow some to try

A

Anonymous

it will perhaps be a matter of taste. on one side of the coin you want the best quality amp controlling your tweeters for deffinition, but then again you may want it on the bass, for better control.

Myself, I would try both. I expect i would end up running the tweeters off the smaller amp. It not having to run the high currants required to shift the cone will be like a really good power supply upgrade for the trebles quality. It could raise its performance to the level of the better amp. The better amp wont really benifit from not driving any tweeters, but at least it wont be held back by just running tweeters. The holding back would be done by the other amps abiltys with the bass cones. It would be taxed to full capacity almost. tweeters take about 10% of an amps power so it seems a bit wasteful to run them off the better amp, leaving the rest to the lesser amp. Unless you really like treble anyway.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
friendly1_uk:

it will perhaps be a matter of taste. on one side of the coin you want the best quality amp controlling your tweeters for deffinition, but then again you may want it on the bass, for better control.

Myself, I would try both. I expect i would end up running the tweeters off the smaller amp. It not having to run the high currants required to shift the cone will be like a really good power supply upgrade for the trebles quality. It could raise its performance to the level of the better amp. The better amp wont really benifit from not driving any tweeters, but at least it wont be held back by just running tweeters. The holding back would be done by the other amps abiltys with the bass cones. It would be taxed to full capacity almost. tweeters take about 10% of an amps power so it seems a bit wasteful to run them off the better amp, leaving the rest to the lesser amp. Unless you really like treble anyway.

Certainly on my system, the vast majority of the sound comes from the mid/low end drivers, the tweeter is a tiny proportion. Mind you it's a very important tiny proportion as my system sounds like a Musical Fidelity when I haven't got the tweeters connected and that's woolly!

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
JoelSim:friendly1_uk:

Certainly on my system, the vast majority of the sound comes from the mid/low end drivers, the tweeter is a tiny proportion. Mind you it's a very important tiny proportion as my system sounds like a Musical Fidelity when I haven't got the tweeters connected and that's woolly!

As confused as ever - there is far more to life than Arcam and Dali!

A

Anonymous

Thanks guys for your help. I have tried it both ways and think it sounds better using the RB-06 to do the treble an rhe RA-04 handles the bass very well! It sounds great! It has calmed the Kef speakers down aswell, I thought the were a bit bright when I was just using the RA-04 to drive them, I can now use the tone defeat button and my music sounds awesome!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts