Should a buy an external Dac for better sound?

Zax89swe

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
Now Im playing my music through a computer soundcard, I wonder if a Hrt music streamer II would lift my system or should I wait and buy the more expensive Arcam Irdac instead for a more noticeable improvement?

ISAC69

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
Zax89swe said:
Now Im playing my music through a computer soundcard, I wonder if a Hrt music streamer II would lift my system or should I wait and buy the more expensive Arcam Irdac instead for a more noticeable improvement?

I am not familiar with the Hrt music streamer II and I don't know which computer soundcard you have ( the more adventage ones have an excellent internal dac), but matching a DAC will certainly improve the sound! try also Rega DAC , Musical Fidelity M1 and Audiolab M-DAC .

spoorarthur

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Definitily buy yourself a DAC, but I would't spend to much on one. The HRT streamer will do fine, as long as you don't need other inputs. Dom make sure to use the right software - and plugin(s). Visit the site computeraudiophile.com for more info about software issues. Enjoy your upgrade!

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
In the context of your system ie your amp then I would think the HRT II would be perfectly adequate.

Yes a £500 DAC would be better, but personally would look at upgrading your amp to realise a more expensive DAC potential albeit the PM6004 is still a nice amp but you will be still stuck with the marantz sound.

Zax89swe

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
Or should I buy Rotel ra-12 instead :wall: some say at the forum that Marantz sound smoother but I find my system very bright already, had before Rega brio-r and it had same brightness level as the marantz but slightly more power, had also the Yamaha a-s500 and it was the most bright (not a good thing) and clinical.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Zax89swe said:
Or should I buy Rotel ra-12 instead :wall: some say at the forum that Marantz sound smoother but I find my system very bright already, had before Rega brio-r and it had same brightness level as the marantz but slightly more power, had also the Yamaha a-s500 and it was the most bright (not a good thing) and clinical.

If all those amps are bright then its probably either your speakers or your room or both. I would not get the Rotel if you want less brightness, I would demo some different speakers, try the KEF R100s.

TRENDING THREADS