Shoes, pads and platforms

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
My new KEF Q500s come with spikes so I ordered some spike shoes from AudioSerenity to protect my expensive wooden flooring. I used the speakers for a couple of days without the spikes and was happy with the sound but when the shoes arrived and were fitted with the spikes I got a cleaner, sharper sound. So I’m very happy and the shoes are very good quality and look great (the box they come in is so nice I can’t bring myself to throw it away although I’ll probably never need it again).

However, browsing the AudioSerenity site I see they also make platforms from granite which they claim “dampen any induced vibrations results in an improved soundstage and a refined imagery”. Does anybody have experience of these?

In addition does everybody use “isolation pads” on CD players, amplifiers, etc?

Chris

PS I don’t work for and neither am I a shareholder in AudioSerenity!

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Whilst I won't rule "Black ravioli" out, they are very expensive and I'd need a lot of convincing that they were worth the money! I see there has been lively debate on another thread!

Chris

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I've done a little bit of experimenting with this.

I tried isolation spikes under the CD player – made no noticeable difference.

Changed my equipment rack from metal with glass shelves to an oak TV stand – made to audible difference but that wasn't why I changed, I just wanted one unit to put everything on.

The one thing that has affected the sound of my system with pads, platforms and such was the amount of blu-tack I use between speakers and there stands. Too much gave bloated bass.

From my experience you just need a solid rack for your equipment.

Speakers can be affected by stands, spikes, isolation, positioning.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts