Shimmering around objects on tv when playing films both dvd and bluray

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Can anyone help PLEASE!! i have recently purchased an LG 42inch lcd tv a Sony bdp360 dvd/blue ray player and added a Lindy mains amplifier a wireworld island 5.2 hdmi lead and still have problems with shimmering around people and objects mainly with them when they move on the screen.

I have read what seems to be a million reviews on cables and such like to improve the problem which the wireworld hdmi lead has almost worked but whilst watching Angels & demons on bluray it has a lot of shimmering around people and their movement at 29.30 minutes the carmelengro running up the stairs Tom hanks and others. PLEASE CAN ANYONE HELP .

I have also watched a few of my favourite films on good old dvd and still have the odd moment of shimmering around again mainly people and their movement King kongwas brilliant but every so often the shimmering spoils things.

I have put the picture settings on the tv to 16.9 and tried other settings ie just scan ,original and without really much difference can anyone again please help to see if i can alleviate this problem.

Thanks to anyone who does get in contact it would be much appreciated.

A

Anonymous

This is a well known problem with flat panel technology, and there's no way you can improve it with cables or anything else outside the TV itself...

A

Anonymous

I've noticed this on a few other LG TVs too. I *think* that it may be to do with the Motion Flow (or whatever LG call their equivalent) frame blending, which can sometimes produce a shimmer when an object passes in front of a 'busy' background (such as football passing in front of a crowd).

For the life of me, however, I haven't been able to find a way to turn this option off in any of the LGs I've encountered. It must be buried in a menu of a menu somewhere.

Sorry I can't be of much more help.

A

Anonymous

which model is your Lg? as with my set i had the same problem with both DVD player and PS3, but tweaking nearly totally solved the problem especially on the PS3, but on the DVD player it occasionally happens,, it could be that the TV or the player have some issues with motion, but since i changed the cable on the PS3 it marginally improved, for the DVD I use a cheopo cable and the problem is much more evident,

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
A friend of mine had a similar sort of problem with his set-up. I've no idea what kind of TV he had but he had the BDP-S 360. He set it for the BDP to do the upscaling rather than the TV which totally solved his problem. Just an idea if you haven't already tried it.

A

Anonymous

Many Thanks Sizzers for getting back to me . I have set the default on the DVD Player to 1080p now instead of Auto and there does seem to be a difference i'll just have to sit down and watch a few more films The league of Extraordinary gentlemen usually highlights a few things.

A

Anonymous

Fahnsen thanks for your reply i will start to have a deeper delve into the menus on the Tv itself and persevere i do enjoy my Films so a labour of love.

A

Anonymous

Cousin dirk thanks for your reply i am currently looking for the CD which is the instruction manual(what ever was wrong with a manual being a manual) to see if i can delve a little deeper into the sub menu's fingers crossed.If not i think i will have to dig out an LG helpline number

A

Anonymous

Xon51 thanks for the reply my Lg is a 42lh5000 as recommended in whathifi a 5 star tv.

i am hoping now that i have found the cd manual i can have a delve into the menu's as i have just bought a near £40 cable which has improved things i must admit but one thing i may try is using the cable on the XBox as i did use it a while back and surprisingly a very good picture with a great depth to it so although it might make the dvd / bluray player a bit redundant i will give it a go.

A

Anonymous

Did you get this sorted out?

I have the same problem with my Panasonic LDZ800. Changed cables,settings etc but still this shimmering (really bad on Band of Bros). Seems better if 24fps mode turned off, but picture very unnatural and jerky. TV now being 'repaired' for 2nd time, but at least will be replaced under warranty if no good.

Is this just certain TVs and if so which ones are best for no shimmer? Can't believe this is the norm. What's the point in forking out more money for worse picture quality. Bluray looks great as long as nothing moves!

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

A

Anonymous

I've turned everything except the 24fps off, but still happening. It puzzles me that this problem appears to be quite widespread, but when you speak to dealers and/or manufacturers they all plead ignorance. Or is it that only some people can see this???

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Maybe its a random problem like 'backlight bleed' is with LCD tvs

Ive certainly never seen any shimmering on my tvs that you describe

Its a long shot, but have you tried a mains conditioner to see if that helps? (Like a Tacima or suchlike?)

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Maybe its 'banding' whilst scaling? Does the tv have 'pixel to pixel' (Showing the picture exactly as it receives it) or does it overscan somewhow? (I know a lot of the older panasonics used to overscan, as did all HDtvs until 'pixel to pixel' became the norm)

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Hi

I had exactly the same problem but had it with everything including when watching Sky as well.

My TV is a Samsung (model in sig), so I don't know how different the menus and options are on a LG.

I went into Picture Options and under "Motion Plus" changed to Custom. Within this were two adjustable settings called BLUR REDUCTION & JUDDER REDUCTION by playing about with these I resolved the issue.

For info (even though you have a diff make of TV). I set BLUR REDUCTION to 8 & JUDDER REDUCTION to 2

A

Anonymous

Thanks for info, my tv is Panasonic, but is now back to dealers for supposedly 2nd repair now. I have tried so many different modes on/off etc (which are different to the Samsung by the sound of it), but to no avail. If no luck when my Panny comes back I will take my bluray player into the shop before deciding on a replacement. Seems to be luck of the draw if you get this problem or not.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts