Shelter 501 in a rega rb250 sounds too bright

rrm

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
I’ve just acquired a Gyrodec/Origin- live modified rega rb250 to replace my older Linn LP 12/ittok. The gains in resolution, bass definition, and soundstaging using my Shelter 501 cartridge (from the Linn) are impressive BUT the treble is now rather steely and fierce, making for somewhat uncomfortable listening.

On the Linn the Shelter was smooth as silk, throughout the frequency range, as fits its reputation. I’ve checked the alignment and VTF so I am wondering if the tonearm is the problem. Is the RB 250,with mods, capable of handling a moving coil like the Shelter and if so is there anything I can do to smooth out the treble?? Or do I need to get a better arm?

rrm said:
I’ve just acquired a Gyrodec/Origin- live modified rega rb250 to replace my older Linn LP 12/ittok. The gains in resolution, bass definition, and soundstaging using my Shelter 501 cartridge (from the Linn) are impressive BUT the treble is now rather steely and fierce, making for somewhat uncomfortable listening.

On the Linn the Shelter was smooth as silk, throughout the frequency range, as fits its reputation. I’ve checked the alignment and VTF so I am wondering if the tonearm is the problem. Is the RB 250,with mods, capable of handling a moving coil like the Shelter and if so is there anything I can do to smooth out the treble?? Or do I need to get a better arm?

What is the turntable connected to, a phono preamp?

You could try inserting a preamp or changing the one you have or try a second hand tonearm from Michell or Origin Live.

There's a review of shelter on a Rega 250 here:-

Www.theanalogdept.com/shelter_501-ii.htm

rrm

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
read the review, tried everything i can think of: lowered tonearm base, added 4g weight to headshell ( a coin with Blutack), increased tracking force.- but the sharp tizzy edge to the trebel is still there - and it's irritating as heck. I know a shelter isn't supposed to sound like that. Any suggestions for a cure or even another modest ( not SME range) tonearm where it is KNOWN to be compatible?

rrm said:
read the review, tried everything i can think of: lowered tonearm base, added 4g weight to headshell ( a coin with Blutack), increased tracking force.- but the sharp tizzy edge to the trebel is still there - and it's irritating as heck. I know a shelter isn't supposed to sound like that. Any suggestions for a cure or even another modest ( not SME range) tonearm where it is KNOWN to be compatible?

Dumb questio maybe but do you still have the Ittok?

Which phono preamp do you use.?

Afraid I cannot answer on known compatibility but I have known someone who ran it on a RB600 tonearm and others that use it on a JPW tonearm but these are not cheap. THe Jelco tonearm has been referred to on some forums but I do not know for sure it is a good match.

Perhaps the compliance of this cartridge is not going to make it a 'goer' on cheaper tonearms, I don't know, but most people who spend this much on a cartridge often have much more expensive tonearms to attach it to.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts